What is WRONG with "music fans" these days ?

toscano

this thread should be titled "what is wrong with "this forum" these days"....seriously, what happened? (I recently started visting here again after not posting for a couple years). Back in the day this forum celebrated all generations and genres of music, and showed huge diversity. Now it seems that I recognize hardly any familiar 'faces' on this forum, and this subforum(which was always my favorite section here)is uninteresting, and is kind of ignorant of most music scenes since the 90's.

what happened? where did everyone go? sad.gif

I read a couple of threads on this forum back in early 2008, and it was so vibrant here. By the time I got around to joining in December of last year a lot of those posters weren't around anymore.

When you think about it, it's kinda sad that the forum for arguably the greatest band of all time really doesn't have that many active users. For instance, we have around 12,000 independant users who have registered during the entire life of this forum. Out of those 12,000 users, more than 50% of them don't even have a single post. Even more shocking is that all time, only 1,100 users have gained the member title of Zep Head, which is approximately 150 posts (not exactly time consuming). All this is especially sad when you consider that the Iron Maiden Message Board has 82,121 members registered, and that 11,272 are active, which is almost the entire number of registered users on this board.

Maybe the Iron Maiden board members don't get banned so easily dry.gif

Not that many members get banned on this site. If you want to see a forum where members get banned a lot, go to the section of the forums on Bungie.net (the makers of the vaunted Halo series of games) called The Flood. On that forum it is unusual for a memebr to not have had at least one ban at some time or another, and in fact it is considered honorable among "Floodians" to have been banned. The high number of bans as a result of ridiculous ammounts of trolling is probaby because so many of the posters in that particular section of the Bungie.net forums are immature 14 and 15 year olds who have no business being on Bungie.net anyways considering that you are supposed to be at least 17 to log in there.

It's not that strange that this site doesn't have a ton of active users -- Led Zeppelin is not an active band. There's only so much you can talk about them before you start talking in circles. While there's a lot of interesting things to discuss, it's all been discussed before.

It's not that strange that this site doesn't have a ton of active users -- Led Zeppelin is not an active band. There's only so much you can talk about them before you start talking in circles. While there's a lot of interesting things to discuss, it's all been discussed before.

Very true. Iron Maiden has a new album coming out. Zeppelin's last new album. . . .

this thread should be titled "what is wrong with "this forum" these days"....seriously, what happened? (I recently started visting here again after not posting for a couple years). Back in the day this forum celebrated all generations and genres of music, and showed huge diversity. Now it seems that I recognize hardly any familiar 'faces' on this forum, and this subforum(which was always my favorite section here)is uninteresting, and is kind of ignorant of most music scenes since the 90's.

The argument that "rap isn't music" and the desire to find artists that resemble Zeppelin sonically have always been predominate here, maybe it's just more noticeable now that there's less active users. In the other subforums on the board you'll find folks continuing to knock Plant's current musical direction even though it's firmly rooted in the many styles Led Zeppelin themselves drew heavily from.

what happened? where did everyone go? :(

2923507429_4861c554cf_o.jpg

The argument that "rap isn't music" and the desire to find artists that resemble Zeppelin sonically have always been predominate here, maybe it's just more noticeable now that there's less active users. In the other subforums on the board you'll find folks continuing to knock Plant's current musical direction even though it's firmly rooted in the many styles Led Zeppelin themselves drew heavily from.

Hi Jahfin,

Folk Knock Plant because they don't like his current Musical Direction not because they don't like Him, is it a Prerequisite to like everything a Former Zeppelin Member does Musically? if so then I'm outta here because that is A Nazi Attitude, and one which i would never subscribe too.

As for Plants current musical direction being firmly rooted in the many styles Led Zeppelin themselves drew heavily from, is it really? so what? if it stinks then it stinks, Music is and has always been a matter of Personal Taste and if something is not to ones Personal Taste one should have the right to say so and not be subjected to others Personal Taste who's only interest is to Bed Mr Plant at the earliest opportunity, something i have never sought for myself you understand.

I happen to Love Robert Plant for his Lyrics and his Voice and the way he uses it, not because he makes me Damp. :o

Regards, Danny

PS, Admin, if you find this post offencive please remove it as i have no wish to be, well you know what?

Very true. Iron Maiden has a new album coming out. Zeppelin's last new album. . . .

By the way, it got a very favorable review from Classic Rock Magazine (9/10) although the two singles didn't blow me away.

I might actually have to buy it in a couple weeks when it's released.

ukclassicrockaug2010p2_web.jpg

By the way, it got a very favorable review from Classic Rock Magazine (9/10) although the two singles didn't blow me away.

I might actually have to buy it in a couple weeks when it's released.

ukclassicrockaug2010p2_web.jpg

I've listened to the director's cut of Satellite 15...The Final Frontier and it sounds fantastic!

I'm definately going to buy The Final Frontier when it's released. Such a shame that Jann Wenner and his cohorts at the Rock and Roll Hall of Shame have kept such an excellent band out for so long.

As for Plants current musical direction being firmly rooted in the many styles Led Zeppelin themselves drew heavily from, is it really? so what?

Regards, Danny

Yeah really. I happen to like earlier blues for instance, Willie Dixon-Muddy Waters-T Bone Walker-Sonny Boy Williamson-Lighnin Hopkins etc...but what if I didn't ? Does that mean I couldn't/shouldn't like Zeppelin's harder rockin, highly electrified blues that morphed into their own from these bluesmasters ?

Or Babe I'm Gonna Leave you as sung by Joan Baez ? I CAN'T STAND her voice/music but that doesn't detract from my enjoyment of LZ's version.

As Dan said, if you don't like it, you don't like it...for whatever reason.

You may like partaking of the leaves and flowers but not care for the bark or the roots.

What may be even worse than those that are so highly critical of Plant are the ones that have decided what a record is going to sound like before they've even heard it. This works both ways, one member here had even declared Them Crooked Vultures' debut album their favorite of the year before the record had even been released.

Archived