Band of Joy

pujols05

For the first time since before I was musically aware, I don't plan to get Plant's latest offering. I've streamed a preview on NPR, and it just doesn't speak to me. I will probably get a song or two on iTunes, but it's just too folksey/country for me. I don't begrudge him wanting to explore this genre, but it's quite different. I don't even equate it with Raising Sand. Maybe he'll get a Grammy for best country album. :mellow:

Good luck, Bob!

For the first time since before I was musically aware, I don't plan to get Plant's latest offering. I've streamed a preview on NPR, and it just doesn't speak to me. I will probably get a song or two on iTunes, but it's just too folksey/country for me. I don't begrudge him wanting to explore this genre, but it's quite different. I don't even equate it with Raising Sand. Maybe he'll get a Grammy for best country album. :mellow:

Good luck, Bob!

How many threads are there on this already?

• 1 month later...

Good luck, Bob!

Anyone who saw the 1967 Band of Joy (and I did - I hung around with them for a while) would have been disappointed with the present band. It is not that this BoJ is not good they are just very different. The '67 band was awesome - a real powerhouse band given the limited equipment available to an unsigned band then. Real excitement and charisma. Robert was always going to be a star-you could just tell, even though many wrote him off when the band split. He and Bonham were at each others throats all the time - about anything and everything.I remember them arguing in the West Bromwich coffee bar The Casa Bambu when Robert would not give John a lift in his Morris Minor Convertible ( an old car even then ) back to Dudley where he lived (about 5/6 miles away). Bonham said (and I paraphrase) "One day I am going to be famous and I'll have loads of fucking cars and I'll see you in the street and I won't give you a fucking lift!!" Then he had to go and catch a bus!!

I used to let Robert have some of my old clothes if he admired them because he was constantly broke. He was my best man in 1969, a fact I had to remind him of when we met up again about 7 years ago!!!

I digress- the new BoJ is a good band but I don't think the excitement is there for me. It is a different direction for Rob and I admire his integrity in not taking the easy, financially rewarding option of just reforming Zep and churning out old stuff. I have really enjoyed seeing him being interviewed on TV and being able to see when he is bullshitting (an art he is a master of). I think it is a pity that he did not recruit the Kevyn Gammond, Paul Lockey, Chris Brown lineup for the new BoJ with perhaps Jason Bonham on drums or even Pete (Plug) Robinson the actual original Band of Joy drummer-all of them excellent musicians. Perhaps too much has flowed under the bridge since then.

I think it is a pity that he did not recruit the Kevyn Gammond, Paul Lockey, Chris Brown lineup for the new BoJ...

I wonder what they think about this new Band of Joy? I'd like to see someone ask Rob about whether he got in touch with any of those guys about using the name. I assume he owns the rights, but those guys were the real Band of Joy, and other than Plant being the singer, there isn't any other connection. I'm not putting down the new band or music, I just find it curious that this was the name used.

I wonder what they think about this new Band of Joy? I'd like to see someone ask Rob about whether he got in touch with any of those guys about using the name. I assume he owns the rights, but those guys were the real Band of Joy, and other than Plant being the singer, there isn't any other connection. I'm not putting down the new band or music, I just find it curious that this was the name used.

Well I saw Pete Robinson on Friday and he is ambivalent about it-I think anyone who was around in '67 and knew the Band are perplexed as to why Rob used the name again. Kevyn still lives next door to Rob as far as I know so I suppose he was aware of it all along. Paul is moving to Spain soon and Chris lives in Devon and I hear from him only rarely.

Anyone who saw the 1967 Band of Joy (and I did - I hung around with them for a while) would have been disappointed with the present band. It is not that this BoJ is not good they are just very different. The '67 band was awesome - a real powerhouse band given the limited equipment available to an unsigned band then. Real excitement and charisma. Robert was always going to be a star-you could just tell, even though many wrote him off when the band split. He and Bonham were at each others throats all the time - about anything and everything.I remember them arguing in the West Bromwich coffee bar The Casa Bambu when Robert would not give John a lift in his Morris Minor Convertible ( an old car even then ) back to Dudley where he lived (about 5/6 miles away). Bonham said (and I paraphrase) "One day I am going to be famous and I'll have loads of fucking cars and I'll see you in the street and I won't give you a fucking lift!!" Then he had to go and catch a bus!!

I used to let Robert have some of my old clothes if he admired them because he was constantly broke. He was my best man in 1969, a fact I had to remind him of when we met up again about 7 years ago!!!

I digress- the new BoJ is a good band but I don't think the excitement is there for me. It is a different direction for Rob and I admire his integrity in not taking the easy, financially rewarding option of just reforming Zep and churning out old stuff. I have really enjoyed seeing him being interviewed on TV and being able to see when he is bullshitting (an art he is a master of). I think it is a pity that he did not recruit the Kevyn Gammond, Paul Lockey, Chris Brown lineup for the new BoJ with perhaps Jason Bonham on drums or even Pete (Plug) Robinson the actual original Band of Joy drummer-all of them excellent musicians. Perhaps too much has flowed under the bridge since then.

My understanding is that the name was chosen not as an updated version of the original Band of Joy but it's representational of the spirit the original band had and the sense of fun and care freeness.

I'd assume Kevyn supports his mate. He was at the Manchester show.

My understanding is that the name was chosen not as an updated version of the original Band of Joy but it's representational of the spirit the original band had and the sense of fun and care freeness.

I'd assume Kevyn supports his mate. He was at the Manchester show.

I am sure you are right about Kevyn. Carefree is the very last word I would ever have applied to the BoJ I knew. It was one argument after another even though they could play like a son of a bitch.

I am sure you are right about Kevyn. Carefree is the very last word I would ever have applied to the BoJ I knew. It was one argument after another even though they could play like a son of a bitch.

I was using carefree regarding the music - I would have had no idea what happened between them off stage.

I also find it odd that Robert would pick an old name that went over like a lead zeppelin. Odd indeed.

The Band of Joy circa 1967 went over brilliantly - they were a legendary band in the Midlands of England. Just never got a deal before it all went pear-shaped. The only gig I ever saw that was badly received was when Felice Taylor (American one hit wonder "I Feel love Comin' on" - which she performed about 4 times at this gig!!!) played at The Penthouse in Birmingham and the BoJ supported. The place was very small and when the BoJ opened with strobes and Skip Bifferty's "On Love" at maximum volume they almost emptied the place. They were brilliant but the crowd were not ready for it.

I was meaning in the grand scheme of things. They were a very short lived band and they did NOT get a deal, so in that view, they didn't go over too well. Business is business. Art is for art's sake and that's left to 10cc. You can see where that got them.

I was meaning in the grand scheme of things. They were a very short lived band and they did NOT get a deal, so in that view, they didn't go over too well. Business is business. Art is for art's sake and that's left to 10cc. You can see where that got them.

They may not be a household name but anytime you hear heavily layered vocals, 10cc are usually cited as the influence. I know they were for this track.

I also find it odd that Robert would pick an old name that went over like a lead zeppelin. Odd indeed.

It wasn't the point of the success of the band, but the feeling Robert got being in them - he equated it to working with the current group of musicians.

They were a kick ass band. How many bands could pull off a song like I'm Not in Love. That tugs at my heart just thinking about it. Art for art's sake indeed. They had quite a few songs that were just awesome.

Just because a band does not get a deal does not mean they were artistically unsuccessful - even the Beatles were turned down by almost every record company at first and they were relegated to a comedy producer.

They were a kick ass band. How many bands could pull off a song like I'm Not in Love. That tugs at my heart just thinking about it. Art for art's sake indeed. They had quite a few songs that were just awesome.

So they should have been in it for the money? :blink:

So they should have been in it for the money? :blink:

This can quickly turn into a misunderstanding. If I understood chrisMainz correctly, he was saying that the original BoJ was in it for the money and therefore disbanded due to lack of it. From my years of observation, I am not so sure at all that the music industry is fair regarding the artists, and hopefully that will change. Alot of people are influenced by media representation as well. It's not much different with art. I've seen less than talented artists build very lucrative careers due to substantial financial backing. Sometimes proving an artform takes a long, long time before seeing any results and sticking with it is a sign of integrity because the art itself means more to the artist than taking an easy route out.

With that being said, I don't think a Zeppelin reunion would have been the easy way out for Robert as I have read alot of people comment that they admire his regard for his position. Quite the opposite. I think he took the easy way out, after all, he did say he didn't need the money.

This can quickly turn into a misunderstanding. If I understood chrisMainz correctly, he was saying that the original BoJ was in it for the money and therefore disbanded due to lack of it. From my years of observation, I am not so sure at all that the music industry is fair regarding the artists, and hopefully that will change. Alot of people are influenced by media representation as well. It's not much different with art. I've seen less than talented artists build very lucrative careers due to substantial financial backing. Sometimes proving an artform takes a long, long time before seeing any results and sticking with it is a sign of integrity because the art itself means more to the artist than taking an easy route out.

With that being said, I don't think a Zeppelin reunion would have been the easy way out for Robert as I have read alot of people comment that they admire his regard for his position. Quite the opposite. I think he took the easy way out, after all, he did say he didn't need the money.

OK, then it was indeed a misunderstanding. I thought you were saying "art for art's sake indeed!" dismissively.

With regard to your second paragraph, though--no comment. :D

OK, then it was indeed a misunderstanding. I thought you were saying "art for art's sake indeed!" dismissively.

With regard to your second paragraph, though--no comment. :D

No problem. I can tell you why I feel that way. He would have to face alot of things he'd probably rather forget (much more difficult than exploring new territory) and that money.... the things he could have done with it especially if he didn't need it. The money would have been a tool with great potential. Anyhow, I won't say anymore about it unless asked. I know it's not a popular topic. I just wanted to present an alternate view.

Well, without pursuing further the should he/shouldn't he question, on which of course evrybody's entitled to their own view, I'll just say that he has in fact given enormous sums of money to charity, and that's just the money we know about--he's said to have contributed generously behind the scenes to many causes, too. So I don't think that particular issue is a valid one to hold against him here.

Nonsense my friend - it was Robert's influence that took LZ in a more acoustic direction. I introduced him to Roy Harper's music when I played him the Folkjokeopus album after his return from the first American tour. He loved it and maybe that was what made him seek Harper out (I believe Jimmy Page already knew him). However he was already exploring that kind of folk music- be brought Judy Collins ,Tim Buckley albums back and gave them to me as he had been showered with stuff on the tour. He was already a Joni Mitchell,CSN fan and had the most eclectic tastes of anyone I knew apart from me. I think he recognised that he could no longer be the Robert Plant -Rock God that he was in his youth-all that does not sit well on a middle-aged man and he was/is only too aware of that. Even in the original BoJ they were always moving forward. Money was NEVER the breaker of that band - personalities, domestic situations and various frustrations came into play. Bonham left to join Tim Rose for more money,that much is true, but he had a family to support and maybe he had had enough of arguing with Robert.

Nonsense my friend - it was Robert's influence that took LZ in a more acoustic direction. I introduced him to Roy Harper's music when I played him the Folkjokeopus album after his return from the first American tour. He loved it and maybe that was what made him seek Harper out (I believe Jimmy Page already knew him). However he was already exploring that kind of folk music- be brought Judy Collins ,Tim Buckley albums back and gave them to me as he had been showered with stuff on the tour. He was already a Joni Mitchell,CSN fan and had the most eclectic tastes of anyone I knew apart from me. I think he recognised that he could no longer be the Robert Plant -Rock God that he was in his youth-all that does not sit well on a middle-aged man and he was/is only too aware of that. Even in the original BoJ they were always moving forward. Money was NEVER the breaker of that band - personalities, domestic situations and various frustrations came into play. Bonham left to join Tim Rose for more money,that much is true, but he had a family to support and maybe he had had enough of arguing with Robert.

Thank you for clarifying the history. I started my whole response more in regards to chrisMainz's post and his comments regarding 10cc. I still think Robert's current choices were the easy way out for him. One of the reviews of Jason's recent endeavor that was just posted further impresses on those feelings. I shall go look them up and add them to this post as an edit.

I wasn't referring to musical style when I said what I said. I don't find the Band of Joy music anything similar to any of the acoustic music done by Zeppelin. The third album is a close favorite to Presence for me. I don't like that new music he is doing and I gave it a more than fair shot. I can't listen to it. I was looking at it more from an emotional viewpoint.

Music: With each drumbeat from Jason Bonham, a hereditary echo of Led Zeppelin

By JONATHAN TAKIFF

"These fans at our show were breaking into tears," Jason said. "I'm their closure. It's as close to Led Zeppelin as it gets."

With that being said, I'm glad it's Jason giving them that closure. That does my heart good.

Thank you for clarifying the history. I started my whole response more in regards to chrisMainz's post and his comments regarding 10cc. I still think Robert's current choices were the easy way out for him. One of the reviews of Jason's recent endeavor that was just posted further impresses on those feelings. I shall go look them up and add them to this post as an edit.

I wasn't referring to musical style when I said what I said. I don't find the Band of Joy music anything similar to any of the acoustic music done by Zeppelin. The third album is a close favorite to Presence for me. I don't like that new music he is doing and I gave it a more than fair shot. I can't listen to it. I was looking at it more from an emotional viewpoint.

With that being said, I'm glad it's Jason giving them that closure. That does my heart good.

I have to say I am not that enamoured of the new BoJ's stuff-I did buy the album and hated it at first but it has grown on me a little. My new favourite is an album called Man Alive by Everything Everything - something new(ish) at last. Check it out - its a love it or hate it kind of thing - i plump for the former.

Well, without pursuing further the should he/shouldn't he question, on which of course evrybody's entitled to their own view, I'll just say that he has in fact given enormous sums of money to charity, and that's just the money we know about--he's said to have contributed generously behind the scenes to many causes, too. So I don't think that particular issue is a valid one to hold against him here.

Please don't get me wrong. I don't hold it against him. It just speaks volumes to me. It wouldn't have busted his balls to do a tour especially considering he is still doing Zep songs, and wasn't the offer something like a couple of million per show? If he didn't need that, a tour would have been a small sacrifice compared to what he could have done with that money so I don't buy the "artististic integrity" argument. I would sooner believe a self serving interests argument.

Archived