Doom Metal

Rock N' Rollin' Man

Revelling in tension, despair, and dread, Doom Metal prizes atmosphere more than many of Metals other primary subgenres. Doom uses plodding tempos, repeated chords, and thick, distorted, down-tuned guitars to attempt to envelope the listener in a wash of desperate foreboding that can commonly last to the ten minute mark and beyond. Instruments generally keep to the standard guitar, bass, and drums, but it is not unusual to add keyboard passages and backdrops.

Doom vocals can be in any of the predominant Metal styles, but all share a determined attempt to invoke emotional hopelessness and mental anguish. This is further amplified by the lyrical themes of grief, depression, fear, resentment, and suffering that are hallmarks of the style.

The roots of Doom Metal are considered to have been planted in the early 70s work of Black Sabbath. In the early and mid-80s, European artists like Witchfinder General and Candlemass adopted the Doom sound as a full fledged genre unto itself, as well as American acts like Saint Vitus, Trouble and Pentagram. Their style of thick and depressive Doom remained the standard until the early 90s, when newcomers such as My Dying Bride, Cathedral, Electric Wizard, and many others began to experiment in melding Doom with several other Metal subgenres. Doom has proven to be one of the most lasting and recognizable Metal styles, maintaining a relatively small but devoted fan base in many countries. RYM

These are my favorite bands in the genre.

Credit the Godfathers of Doom Black Sabbath of course.

Pentagram

Witchfinder General

Trouble

More current:

Earthride

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M2uq5xPVRY

The Obsessed

Hour of 13

Black Pyramid

Goatsnake

Ogre

Witchcraft

Genre is still going strong.

Any other fans?

I heard a couple Cathedral CDs back in the day that I enjoyed.

I like all 3 of the vids you posted.

I was expecting the cliche' "demon" vocals from death metal (or have "demon" vocals become the Lambo Doors of metal - played-out?).

The Earthride had vocals reminiscent of Lemmy, which is a pretty awesome influence.

Overall, it's got the heavy groove and chunkiness I like, although at my age I tend to avoid music that is overtly sacrilegious/Satanic/however you want to describe it.

Not trying to "go religious" on yer thread, just talking about me personally - I do go to church.

To give you an idea, Tool and Monster Magnet are pushing it for me lulz.

Cliff's:

1 - Nice heavy, chunky jams.

2 - I'm getting old.

Personally I think all the sub-genre's of metal became silly years ago. Not because of the music but because there really isn't a reason to break it down that far, metal was varied enough at the start and it all fit comfortably under the tag metal without all the confusing classifications. Was a time when bands like Obsessed and COC were simply called metal despite being a bit different stylistically.

Any other fans?

Not really a fan but I'm curious as to what you think of The Body. I posted one of their tunes in the Current Music Recommendations thread recently but I'm not sure if you've had a chance to listen to it or not. They're not really my thing but I did hear their set recently which closed out the Hopscotch Hangover party in Raleigh.

Personally I think all the sub-genre's of metal became silly years ago. Not because of the music but because there really isn't a reason to break it down that far, metal was varied enough at the start and it all fit comfortably under the tag metal without all the confusing classifications.

Totally agree. This whole thing became absurd in the mid-90s, as I recall - you needed a degree in metallury just to keep up with it all. It reminded me of the 'People's Front of Judaea' scene in Life of Brian.

I was always more of a speed merchant than a doomster, although the best bands combined the two. What's the point of listening to a bunch of songs that all sound the same? You might as well be into C&W.

^^ If you think the songs sound the same it's probably you haven't had the interest to listen enough. Sounds like what my dad thinks of Zep, Aerosmith & whatever you call classic rock. I listen to a lot of blues and country, but it's only people who don't know shit about the genre who thinks it all sounds the same. Same goes for Doom I guess. Either it appeal to you, or not. I like some of the bands mentioned here, although I am not a big fan. I prefer the really old stuff, before it was even called Doom Metal. Heavy rock is good enough for me. B)

I love Doom Metal and Thrash Metal! My folks call it "hell music" and "noise"! LOL! :lol: Its so sinful! Brings out the devil in me! :angel:

It feels so good listening to that sort of stuff! :shifty:

These songs can possibly be considered as "Light" Doom Metal or Love Metal (which the band in this context chooses to call it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Tipkv7PX4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep35cSYL0OQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuF7FN9aFwA

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

Here is another Doom Metal sort of sounding track which I like : (the lyrics are pretty beautiful in my opinion)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1IOg2bq-MM

P.S

When I am in an angry sort of mood, I end up listening to Doom Metal / Love Metal and that really helps! Believe me! :D

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

Sorry Kiwi, not to put your post down in anyway, but I don't think I concider HIM Doom Metal..? But hell, what do I know.. LOL B)

LOL! :lol: No probs Swede...the funniest part is that Ville Vallo himself doesn't know what the hell to call the music his band plays so he sticks to the pretty vague term "Love Metal"! Lots of debating goes on among HIM fans! LOL! :lol: But its some "Metal" alright...I'm pretty confused myself actually! LOL! :lol: Whoops! :lol::P

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

R'n'r:ingMan, aren't some of the bands you posted very similiar in style to what is called Desert Rock too?? Like Fuu Manchu, for example? But , on the other hand, maybe the lyrics is what differ those bands to these.. As I said in previous post, I don't know much about these genres..

What's the point of listening to a bunch of songs that all sound the same? You might as well be into C&W.

Country & Western music all sounds the same? That would mean Toby Keith sounds exactly like Ernest Tubb. Far from it. In fact, the sound of those two artists couldn't be more different.

R'n'r:ingMan, aren't some of the bands you posted very similiar in style to what is called Desert Rock too?? Like Fuu Manchu, for example? But , on the other hand, maybe the lyrics is what differ those bands to these.. As I said in previous post, I don't know much about these genres..

I've heard Fu Manchu, Monster Magnet, Queens of the Stone Age, etc. all referred to as "stoner rock".

I heard a couple Cathedral CDs back in the day that I enjoyed.

I like all 3 of the vids you posted.

I was expecting the cliche' "demon" vocals from death metal (or have "demon" vocals become the Lambo Doors of metal - played-out?).

The Earthride had vocals reminiscent of Lemmy, which is a pretty awesome influence.

Overall, it's got the heavy groove and chunkiness I like, although at my age I tend to avoid music that is overtly sacrilegious/Satanic/however you want to describe it.

Not trying to "go religious" on yer thread, just talking about me personally - I do go to church.

To give you an idea, Tool and Monster Magnet are pushing it for me lulz.

Cliff's:

1 - Nice heavy, chunky jams.

2 - I'm getting old.

Glad you liked them you woun't find those "demon" vocals in the bands I posted. You will find them in other sub-genres. I agree that Dave Sherman's vocals are Lemmy-esque haven't seen seem live but based on

I've seen his stage presence reminds me to an extent of Dio.

Not really a fan but I'm curious as to what you think of The Body. I posted one of their tunes in the Current Music Recommendations thread recently but I'm not sure if you've had a chance to listen to it or not. They're not really my thing but I did hear their set recently which closed out the Hopscotch Hangover party in Raleigh.

I see that they're top friends with Bad Dream a band I'm sort of keeping an eye on but no didn't really like them based on the song I listened to in the current recommendations thread and some on their myspace page. There's really only one band

where I like the use of those type of vocals or don't mind them. Edited by Rock N' Rollin' Man

I've only seen the term desert rock applied to the bands Jahfin mentioned and most of the bands I mentioned under current I've seen given tags as stoner rock/metal along with doom metal. And Swede when you mentioned you like the really old stuff, I take it you mean you like 70s Pentagram best over their 80s material? I like both equally though different eras with the band. The only other discussion board I frequent had a discussion on doom metal recently, I pretty much agree with dinger007's (of Black Pyramid) post but I've only been into this genre for some months now so I'm no expert on said genre.

Speaking of Black Pyramid here's "The Worm Ouroboros"

Half of dinger's post readily available.

"Interesting topic.

Since we're talking about doom here, I'm not using Black Sabbath. Sorry, don't consider them doom. They laid the foundation for ALL metal, it's a bit silly for any one "camp" or genre to claim them as their own, IMO.

Second, I'm not putting any 70's proto-metal on the list. Same thing, influential, yes, but it's a bit silly to try to attach genre tags that came AFTER said music was around. Bands like Jerusalem, Night Sun, FTB, they were playing heavy music as it existed in the 70's, not doom. There was no doom. Doom was a conscious decision to REVISIT those sounds while incorporating the influence of all things that had come between (NWOBHM, etc).

Third, I treat sludge separately, as I see it coming more from a hardcore/crust background aesthetically. The "sludge" history is equally compelling, but it's a separate ball game, in my stadium anyways.

My top five have all be covered, I'll elaborate a little on them though.

1) Saint Vitus - Hallow's Victim

I prefer Reagers, and this is that lineup at its pinnacle. Don't get me wrong, I love Wino, but I think he's a lot better in The Obsessed than Vitus. I think this is also an important album because of the tempos - it shows that doom isn't all about playing slow.

2) Trouble - The Skull

Another one that shows that it's not all about playing slow, but also it highlights the uplifting, spiritual side of doom, that I feel is also very important to the genre.

3) The Obsessed - Lunar Womb

This album, to me, really showcases how the stoner and doom scenes crossed over into one another. It's got it's doom moments, but there's a strong prog and psych vibe throughout. The touches of hardcore and Southern inflections really nail the whole spirit of the Maryland/DC Doom capital.

4) Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus

This was the album that crossed doom over into the "epic metal" spectrum, with the operatic vocals, epic arrangements, and distinctively European inflections. Love it or hate it, it's one of the classics, and highly influential.

5) Cathedral - Forests of Equilibrium

This is the album that bridged the gap between doom and extreme metal. Say what you want about Cathedral, this album is seminal. Doom before this was more traditional, rooted in the forefathers of metal, and while Cathedral were certainly no slouch in that respect, Dorrian's involvement with seminal grind act Napalm Death opened the floodgates to a whole new audience, and crossed things up well with the death metal folks."

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Personally I think all the sub-genre's of metal became silly years ago. Not because of the music but because there really isn't a reason to break it down that far, metal was varied enough at the start and it all fit comfortably under the tag metal without all the confusing classifications. Was a time when bands like Obsessed and COC were simply called metal despite being a bit different stylistically.

I agree with what you say, it comes down to people having to box everything in a certain corner and then not being able to break out...Rock has a varied stream of styles like Metal...look at Jazz, on the one hand you can think of some jazz and its the dreggs...devil music, but on the other end of the spectrum some of it is kinda ok. Led Zeppelin I guess are boxed in the Rock genre but they break out of that box so many times.

Some metal is great too and couldn't careless if its doom, loom or meltdown metal :)

• 3 years later...

to me fields of the nephilim, are more gothic than doom. but its also the same as HIM, Paradise Lost. but they all do have some sort of doom going on in there music. you do have more classic doom bands. which are already on this post. which is cool to me as Trouble are a classic doom band, orange goblin, cathedral to name three. I`m a great fan of Lee Dorrian of Cathedral I`ve a fiar few of the bands albums which are all cool to me...