Concert Tickets

Reggie29

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think they are overpriced?

2. 2. What do you think are fair ticket prices? (Please Specify)

Believe it or not, festival seating still happens. You'd think people would learn from history (specifically the Who tragedy in Cincinnati) but sadly that just isn't the case. I think sometimes greed gets in the way of concern for the human condition. I still don't like being in a crowd where there's no clear path for escape. This happened a few years ago at a R.E.M. concert in Atlanta where the "pit" was far oversold. I'm still not sure that the people responsible learned their lesson.

Good article !

Big productions cost big bucks other's, not so much . In some way's, I guess we are the victims of our own expectations.

I'm with ya Redrum. Nothing like the old triple bills ;)

Liz, with you being so young, clearly talk of festival seating and the likes is something that you would never have experienced so don't take it as a critisism. While us older posters can remember those day's you young lady have youth on your side...wanna trade :lol:

Hi Ally, Reg, Liz,

I payed £7,50 to see Led Zeppelin at Knebworth each time in 1979, about a days take home pay so I would expect to pay anything from £80 to £100+ nowadays.

I have to agree with Liz, if you think the concert is overpriced then don't pay your hard earned wonga, let you girlfriend pay. :o;):lol:

If Led Zeppelin ever returned to touring I would re-mortgage my house, sell my kids in to slavery and send Misses BIGDAN out Whoring just to get enough to see them, but then I am a Really BIG FANATIC ain't I? :yesnod:

Very Kind Regards, Danny

PS, Sorry Kids and Misses BIGDAN, but a Fans gotta do what a Fans gotta do, right? :bravo:

Believe it or not, festival seating still happens. You'd think people would learn from history (specifically the Who tragedy in Cincinnati) but sadly that just isn't the case. I think sometimes greed gets in the way of concern for the human condition. I still don't like being in a crowd where there's no clear path for escape. This happened a few years ago at a R.E.M. concert in Atlanta where the "pit" was far oversold. I'm still not sure that the people responsible learned their lesson.

Yeah, that is suprising . Getting in let alone getting out of a concert at the old Pacific Coliseum in the 70's was akin to taking your life in your hands. The crush of body's was insane. Just shear bloody luck that nobody was ever killed.

I haven't experienced festival seating, but I have heard of it, even independent of what happened at the Who concert in 1979. That said, I've been to several concerts where there was general admission on the floor, and basically the earlier you got in line, the better position in front of the stage you were. I've never opted for that, because there's no way in heck I'm standing up for 3 straight hours. The plate in my left knee would rip out of my leg and walk home in protest.

I was never big on being on the floor either. Not only was it uncomfortable but in the early 70's ( Vancouver at least ) the stage was a little on the high side and it made for poor viewing. It was the 75 Zeppelin tour 2nd night before I actually took in a show from the floor and that lasted all of about 30 min until some moron pulled out a knife and slashed a guy. With everyone trying to get out of the way I was knocked onto knees and was extremely lucky to get back on my feet . I got off the floor as best I could and watched the rest of the concert from various spots . Never again !

I've seen people long for the days of how concerts used to be. While there's definitely an upside to some of it, a great deal of the change (particularly concert security) has happened for good reason. I'm sure many besides myself have heard tales of fans using belts and other means (sometimes even jumping) to get down to the floor. That's something you just don't see at concerts anymore (at least I haven't).

I've seen people long for the days of how concerts used to be. While there's definitely an upside to some of it, a great deal of the change (particularly concert security) has happened for good reason. I'm sure many besides myself have heard tales of fans using belts and other means (sometimes even jumping) to get down to the floor. That's something you just don't see at concerts anymore (at least I haven't).

The only thing I long for are fair prices. The rest is long behind me and that's where it should and will stay. Mind you, a great double or triple bill wouldn't be a bad thing :D

BTW Ally, did you ever see Pink Floyd in Vancouver during the 70s? They didn't play the Pacific Coliseum, though -- they played PNE Exhibition Park.

Saw them twice Liz. The Pacific Coliseum is on the PNE fair grounds so it sometimes get's referred to as the PNE Exhibition Park. The first time I saw them was at another venue on the fair grounds called the Gardens Auditorium on the 72 Tour.

Saw them twice Liz. The Pacific Coliseum is on the PNE fair grounds so it sometimes get's referred to as the PNE Exhibition Park. The first time I saw them was at another venue on the fair grounds called the Gardens Auditorium on the 72 Tour.

So jealous. My dad saw them in 1977 when they came to Soldier Field (mentioned that above) and he wanted to take me to see them in 1994 when they came back to Soldier Field for TDB tour, but my mom said I was too young to go to a rock concert.

:(

:lol:

I voted for overpriced and $51-100. I only went to two shows in 2010 and expect to go to less in 2011. Have just lost interest in the live music experience. I've seen most if not all of my favorites during their heyday - Alice Cooper, Tull, Zeppelin, Springsteen, McCartney and a bunch of others.

The only thing I long for are fair prices. The rest is long behind me and that's where it should and will stay. Mind you, a great double or triple bill wouldn't be a bad thing :D

In response to high ticket prices my Dad used to say if only the fans would protest by staying away from the concerts they would have no alternative but to bring them down. Well, that's exactly what's happening now (and I've seen it happen before) but fans aren't really "protesting", they simply can't afford to go. A few years back when Kiss and Aerosmith toured together ticket sales for their show here (NC) were very slow so the closer the show got, the lower the prices of the tickets got. By the time the show date had arrived the venue was practically giving tickets away. I'm sure someone somewhere thought a Kiss/Aerosmith co-headlining bill was a no brainer as far as putting asses in seats was concerned but they were proved wrong on that occasion.

Personally, I go to more club shows than stadium/arena shows anyway. Part of the reason is the overall cost but a bigger reason is I simply enjoy club shows more because of the intimacy.

So jealous. My dad saw them in 1977 when they came to Soldier Field (mentioned that above) and he wanted to take me to see them in 1994 when they came back to Soldier Field for TDB tour, but my mom said I was too young to go to a rock concert.

:(

:lol:

I was just lucky to be around at the time Liz....nothing more. It's fun to recollect but we tend to only talk about the good times or the stuff that is significant to the conversation. Outside of the concerts , the 70's weren't all they are cracked up to be. Like I said earlier.... I'll trade you your youth for a few aches and pains :lol:

In response to high ticket prices my Dad used to say if only the fans would protest by staying away from the concerts they would have no alternative but to bring them down. Well, that's exactly what's happening now (and I've seen it happen before) but fans aren't really "protesting", they simply can't afford to go. A few years back when Kiss and Aerosmith toured together ticket sales for their show here (NC) were very slow so the closer the show got, the lower the prices of the tickets got. By the time the show date had arrived the venue was practically giving tickets away. I'm sure someone somewhere thought a Kiss/Aerosmith co-headlining bill was a no brainer as far as putting asses in seats was concerned but they were proved wrong on that occasion.

Personally, I go to more club shows than stadium/arena shows anyway. Part of the reason is the overall cost but a bigger reason is I simply enjoy club shows more because of the intimacy.

Yeah, that happened here recently with ZZ Top and it also happened with the most recent Aerosmith gig. The economy certainly isn't helping but I also think that people are craving for something new and exciting and given the choice, they are opting out of the same old, same old. The clubs and smaller venues are where you'll find me as well.

I voted for overpriced and $51-100. I only went to two shows in 2010 and expect to go to less in 2011. Have just lost interest in the live music experience. I've seen most if not all of my favorites during their heyday - Alice Cooper, Tull, Zeppelin, Springsteen, McCartney and a bunch of others.

I know many who have lost interest and for much the same reason. I'd go to concerts more often if work commitments didn't get in the way but even they didn't, I'd still be pretty selective of who I was willing to shell out for. Besides, even when I do go, I'm tired of young people looking at me like I'm a cop :lol:

Anyone from my generation hates the prices. Like Redrum said.

Personally it makes me ill. Especially the way TM has taken over. I saw that article nine posted too, along with one from Rolling Stone, I hope it's true.

I gave up on shows since the Petty fiasco this last tour. It was so frustrating I said screw it. I only have been to One show this summer because I got in free. I too prefer small venues and theaters...where you can SIT. GA sucks .

Oh and Mandy ^ we Do get "big acts" here....I just don't go myself anymore. I've saved enough from not to take a nice tropical trip next year.

We've had.....Paul McCartney, Eagles, Elton John, Metallica, Pearl Jam, Kiss, U2 coming after they had to cancel, Bon Jovi, BB King and Buddy Guy, Dylan, James Taylor, Alice Cooper, I could go on and on. I just don't get MY faves half the time. :angry:

I'm thinking that maybe us baby boomers are just a little bored with the whole concert scene. Ticket prices just make for a good excuse not to go and let us off the hook for not being hip. As a good buddy once screamed, " I woke one morning and I had my father's hands " !!! It's fecking true :D

the first concert i went to which was slayer and mastodon in 2006 cost $65.50

the next was motorhead in 2007 and that cost $74.90

a front row ticket to iron maiden in 2009 cost about $115.00

the ticket i purchased to lamb of god in 2009 was the one of the cheapest i have bought

it cost 64.90

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked The Allman Brothers at the Beacon. Every year they do a run of shows...

On the ticketmaster site they have frontrow package for $750

FRONT ROW PACKAGE

. One Front row center seat

. Pre-show hospitality

. Live CD recording of concert

. Exclusive merchandise item

. Collectible laminate

then they have fifth row for $500

with the same extras.

Archived