Hats Off To (Roy) Harper ?

Based on the reading I've done Jimmy and Robert were both big admirers of Roy Harper's music which I understand is rather folksy in nature.

Given the tone of the Zep III album (more acoustic, country/folk flavor here and there), the timing would seem logical for a tribute to him (Roy). IMO.

When I checked my book "Led Zeppelin 1968-1980 by Keith Shadwick", I found out according to the author,.... "the piece came from a blues jam Page and Plant had at Bron-Yr-Aur where they ran through some old blues numbers. They updated the arrangement and recast the title to publicly acknowledge their fellow musician and friend Mr. Roy Harper."*............

*Note: I condensed the quote a little to make it more succinct, but not change the meaning.

Hope that info helps. If not, I'm sure one of the old timers will come along with more info. :) missy

Based on the reading I've done Jimmy and Robert were both big admirers of Roy Harper's music which I understand is rather folksy in nature. missy

While it may not be indicative of all of his work, I very highly recommend Whatever Happened to Jugula? from Roy Harper and Jimmy Page. Other than Unledded, it's probably my favorite post-Zep work of his. The clip below is but one sample from it, you can check out more on YouTube.

whtjcdb.jpg

While it may not be indicative of all of his work, I very highly recommend Whatever Happened to Jugula? from Roy Harper and Jimmy Page. Other than Unledded, it's probably my favorite post-Zep work of his. The clip below is but one sample from it, you can check out more on YouTube.

Jahfin,

Thank-you for the tip. :) I wasn't aware of this recording, which sounds very good. Jimmy's playing is spot on. I think Roy's vocals sound a bit like Ian Anderson.

I wonder why this is rarely--if ever mentioned when I see a discography of JP's solo work? Sorry, I always seem to have questions!

Note to the the TC: Don't be too hasty separating Roy from the Zep boys. A boatload of well-known players have contributed to his work over the years. According to wiki (if you trust them) these players: Jimmy Page, David Gilmour, John Paul Jones, Paul McCartney, Ian Anderson, Ronnie Lane, Bill Bruford, Keith Moon have all helped him out at various times.. Guy must have something going on creatively to draw out that A list! :).........missy

Jahfin,

Thank-you for the tip. :) I wasn't aware of this recording, which sounds very good. Jimmy's playing is spot on. I think Roy's vocals sound a bit like Ian Anderson.

Funny you should make that comparison as when I first heard it it struck me as an acoustic hybrid of Zep, Floyd (Gilmour is also on the record) and Tull. Admittedly, Harper's lyrics can be a little obtuse but that's part of what makes the album so unique.

I wonder why this is rarely--if ever mentioned when I see a discography of JP's solo work? Sorry, I always seem to have questions!

I'm not sure. I found it purely by accident when rummaging through the bins of Camelot Music in Goldsboro, NC back when it first came out. Most Zep fans are at least vaguely familiar with Roy Harper because of "Hats Off..." but I'm guessing Jugula just wasn't considered a very high profile release at the time. Back in those days I usually had to special order everything from R.E.M. singles to the Scream For Help soundtrack and the "Immigrant Song"/"Hey, Hey What Can I Do" single so, even though Jugula was an import it was surprising to even find it in the racks at all. It's remained out of print on CD until recent years but I believe it's readily available now.

Very nice to be re asssociated with this. I bought this album when it came out and always loved it. Roy Harper is a Mancunian and played here regularly over the years. I have seen him a few times and he was always excellent. In fact i was having dinner with a mate on Tuesday and he had seen him in a tiny folk venue in a small village nearby. "Those were the days - has Cardiff changed that much....." Sorry

The man crops up in TSRTS movie. From memory he gets into the limo at the airport or after the show, and is seen in the wings in Dazed & Confused during the guitar solo after the violin bow section. Blonde haired fellow wearing ( i think) a Mickey Mouse T shirt.

Highly respected

1. I guess that is a bit of the secret.They puttet out something that sounds like a bootleg but with high energy and truths in it.

2.I know a chappy and he made a very intresting interview with Roy before the O2 show. I think I got to push him to release it on youtube finally.

whtjcdb.jpg

Very intresting.Thanks alot for posting it !

really love roy

esp stormcock.....have a ton of roy vinyl but stormcock was the only thing i ever really listened to (still do).....that and a song called "forever" from the valentine album i believe

he did some dates in england recenty......hope he comes back to the states one day

never really understood the connection between him and this song though, if there is one

this vid has some nice live shots with him n jimmy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM0gMGRkqcY

it's from this video tape released back in the 80s

roy.jpg

The song is okay, but the album would be even greater if they substitued that song with "Traveling Riverside Blues" -- originally the 'b' side to the "Immigrant Song" 45 rpm single.

The song is okay, but the album would be even greater if they substitued that song with "Traveling Riverside Blues"-- originally the 'b' side to the "Immigrant Song" 45 rpm single.

The b-side was "Hey, Hey What Can I Do", at least in the U.S. From what I've read it was the only non-album track ever released while the band was still together. Perhaps "Traveling Riverside Blues" had made the rounds in bootleg circles but I never heard it until the first box set was released.

Like "Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" or not, III simply wouldn't be the same without it. It may not be one of my favorite songs from the Zep catalog but it definitely fits the feel of that record.

The b-side was "Hey, Hey What Can I Do", at least in the U.S. From what I've read it was the only non-album track ever released while the band was still together. Perhaps "Traveling Riverside Blues" had made the rounds in bootleg circles but I never heard it until the first box set was released.

Like "Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" or not, III simply wouldn't be the same without it. It may not be one of my favorite songs from the Zep catalog but it definitely fits the feel of that record.

A shame they did not release "Hey,hey" on LP.A great song.If Jimmy would have used an Electric Guitar during "Hats" of it might have been a bit more outranged.Also

this would have been taken away the critics that the whole III was a bit too folky.But these are just some thoughts of mine...

Archived