1977-06-07 Matrix?

ThelegendaryZepp

YES! This show is a perfect candidate for that, I think. Let 'er rip!

I don't know what would come from it tho...Considering the Rawhide source is pretty noisy with the crowd and all...I don't honestly think it could add any dynamics to the show other than the crowd vibe.

Hell of a lot loss crowd noise on the "Rawhide" recording than the older "Artie" recording where Artie & co. (the tapers) basically jabber their way through the show like they always do...that recording sounds like a big fucking party with some Zeppelin playing in the background. The Rawhide source is vastly superior but I reckon a matrix would sound, well, not bad, necessarily, but nothing on the level of, say, the 12-2-75 "Four Blocks In The Snow" matrix. Also take the cuts in both the Rawhide and SBD recordings into consideration.

If somebody were to undertake a 7-6-77 matrix problem, I'd want it to be somebody like Bluecongo or Andy Winston or someone who knows what they fuck they're doing. I've heard way too many bad, out of sync matrices clearly made by amateurs where the listening enjoyment makes to original "Artie" source sound like the 21-6 "Eddie" recording!

Though even making a matrix of this show still wouldn't cover up the myriad of mistakes the SBD recording made abundantly clear. Hence why I personally ditched the SBD and stuck with the Rawhide.

Hell of a lot loss crowd noise on the "Rawhide" recording than the older "Artie" recording where Artie & co. (the tapers) basically jabber their way through the show like they always do...that recording sounds like a big fucking party with some Zeppelin playing in the background. The Rawhide source is vastly superior but I reckon a matrix would sound, well, not bad, necessarily, but nothing on the level of, say, the 12-2-75 "Four Blocks In The Snow" matrix. Also take the cuts in both the Rawhide and SBD recordings into consideration.

If somebody were to undertake a 7-6-77 matrix problem, I'd want it to be somebody like Bluecongo or Andy Winston or someone who knows what they fuck they're doing. I've heard way too many bad, out of sync matrices clearly made by amateurs where the listening enjoyment makes to original "Artie" source sound like the 21-6 "Eddie" recording!

Though even making a matrix of this show still wouldn't cover up the myriad of mistakes the SBD recording made abundantly clear. Hence why I personally ditched the SBD and stuck with the Rawhide.

I completely agree,it has to be done right or not at all...Id go for it if Bluecongo or Winston did it. I too also don't like that soundboard as well because of the very same reason.

I recently got The Bluecongo 1980 Zurich matrix and man does that kick the shit out of the dry soundboard. makes the best show from 80 a better listen. I also love what they did with Earls Court may 25th. i believe that one was a collaboration of Winston and Bluecongo.

I completely agree,it has to be done right or not at all...Id go for it if Bluecongo or Winston did it. I too also don't like that soundboard as well because of the very same reason.

I recently got The Bluecongo 1980 Zurich matrix and man does that kick the shit out of the dry soundboard. makes the best show from 80 a better listen. I also love what they did with Earls Court may 25th. i believe that one was a collaboration of Winston and Bluecongo.

Yeah I've got it also. It shows how inconsistent Page's playing was in the latter days of the band, just listen to the Heartbreaker solo. It's Perfect! He pulls out all the stops.

Yeah I've got it also. It shows how inconsistent Page's playing was in the latter days of the band, just listen to the Heartbreaker solo. It's Perfect! He pulls out all the stops.

That Heartbreaker solo is amazing. It's like he used all the different parts of it, that he incorporated into it over the years, into one. Love it!

The AUD source for 6.7.77 just isn't clean enough to do a matrix. I looked into it, because the 77 Tour needs a good matrix, but alas, no go, at least from my vantage point.

If only a soundboard of the 30-5-77 show would rear it's head, that AUD recording is pretty decent. As is the 11-6 source come to think of it, although the best source doesn't last the whole show. I think we've seen all we will of the soundboard from that show unfortunately though.

i don't know where people are getting this "mistakes" idea

it's the way the guy plays

While the '77 tour did have more mistakes in Page's playing than previous years he always was a bit sloppy. People who put heaps of emphasis on '77 being the only sloppy tour need to listen to some of the North American '73 tour more, specifically some of the intros to SIBLY. He was also pretty sloppy at a lot of '75 shows, although this could be the attributed to the broken finger it's only part of the reason IMO, the excesses were clearly starting to show.

While the '77 tour did have more mistakes in Page's playing than previous years he always was a bit sloppy. People who put heaps of emphasis on '77 being the only sloppy tour need to listen to some of the North American '73 tour more, specifically some of the intros to SIBLY. He was also pretty sloppy at a lot of '75 shows, although this could be the attributed to the broken finger it's only part of the reason IMO, the excesses were clearly starting to show.

It's been said that those '73 SIBLY intros are the yardstick by which that night's performance can be judged. YMMV, of course, but I tend to agree. Cocaine really started rearing its ugly head by 1973 as well, though it probably didn't have the detrimental affect on Page's playing that smack would. But, fuck yeah, compared to other 'virtuosos' like Clapton or Hendrix, Page was sloppy as hell, but that was his style, and it worked, and for the most part he got away with it. Really listen to the "Heartbreaker" solo (studio version)...he misses notes all over the place, but it is still considered one of the great guitar solos. Jimmy gets a free pass for that one, whereas when it comes to the "Hot Dog" intro or "Fool In The Rain" solo those usually get cited as examples of 'bad Page solos'. It's easy to blame those ones on drugs or whatever, but, really, they're archetypal Jimmy Page solos. And that's why we love him- sloppy or not, every note has got soul, which quite a few pickers can'tclaim.

...and, yeah, that May 30 AUD tape would be worthy of a matrix if the SBD appeared, but TSRTS would be rough with all that distortion. And bear in mind the cuts...and that second encore that's missing on the audience tape B)

I don't like like either 73 or 75 North American Tours. I do however enjoy 73 UK and Europe Tours. For 75 i stick with the Earls Court gigs that's it. I Enjoy 77 because you basically get the 75 American set anyway. Plus the added Acoustic set and the 2 Presence songs. The acoustic set is important to me which is why i avoid 75 North America.

I almost forgot, the encores in 75 US are always half baked. Black Dog in particular is terrible this year.

Archived