Live "No Quarter" solo

JMC

Hi folks...would like to invite you to read my musings on the live "No Quarter" solo over at my crappy blog...chime in if you're so inclined. I think this is not just one of Page's greatest, but one of the best guitar solos of all time. I've been listening to it for thirty-some years now, and it continues to make my jaw drop.

Anyway, it's a short piece but hopefully does justice to its subject. Would enjoy any feedback. Thanks in advance...

http://refreshingbeverage.com/?p=549

Hi folks...would like to invite you to read my musings on the live "No Quarter" solo over at my crappy blog...chime in if you're so inclined. I think this is not just one of Page's greatest, but one of the best guitar solos of all time. I've been listening to it for thirty-some years now, and it continues to make my jaw drop.

Anyway, it's a short piece but hopefully does justice to its subject. Would enjoy any feedback. Thanks in advance...

Welcome to the boards!

This subject, probably belongs over on the "Live Forum".

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/forum/5-led-zep-live/

The remastered cd has the most important part of the solo cut. Thanks alot Caveman! :-(]

Crap, you're right! What's up with that, and why didn't i notice...the original live album had the solo starting off just like the studio version, with that descending 9-note figure. Why the hell would he cut that out?

The one I was working from as I wrote that (remaster) did seem kinda short, now I know why. Will amend the post to reflect that. Thanks a million for pointing this out.

Chad,

IMHO, that's the best ever version of No Quarter! Hands down! From JPJ's piano solo with the Mile's Davis parts to that incredible blues jam by Jimmy, it would be hard to top it! Just amazing!!

Only problem with this is that Part I is from the 25th and not the 23rd. Part I is here:

My favorite is from the bootleg "For Badgeholders Only". 31 minute version of No Quarter.

They tear into what has to be of the most amazing blues pieces Ive ever heard around the 12 minute mark...Get chills every time I hear it.

Yeah, me too! I love the way Page's guitar is feedingback in between phrases, the heaviest blues I've ever heard as well.

Easily the best No Quarter of the '77 tour, and the best concert of the tour as well.

Your right in my opinion one of the greatest solos of all time,another one of mine that is worthy of Pages level is Jimi Hendrix "Machine Gun" Band Of Gypsys,Alex Lifeson of Rush"By-Tor and the Snow Dog off of "All The Worlds A Stage",i will be 48 tomorrow and have been listening to those 3 solos most my life and they still continue to make my jaw drop,give me goose bumps,and send chills up my back.:yourock:

Crap, you're right! What's up with that, and why didn't i notice...the original live album had the solo starting off just like the studio version, with that descending 9-note figure. Why the hell would he cut that out?

The one I was working from as I wrote that (remaster) did seem kinda short, now I know why. Will amend the post to reflect that. Thanks a million for pointing this out.

I'm guessing you've read this by now.

dude your avatar cracks me up,a very diplomatic looking dog

I'm guessing you've read this by now.

I had not, but thanks for pointing it out. Far more detail than I could ever provide. This is Zep-geek at its geekiest; I love it.

dude your avatar cracks me up,a very diplomatic looking dog

Thanks Steve, that dog is personality-plus, and he will always harmonize in howl if you play a G.

I really appreciate all the traffic and feedback. Great forum, I'll definitely be hanging around here a lot. Thanks!

I had seen Zep in early 77and around 78 I got my first bootleg which was this one on vinyl, little did I know at the time that this was the song i would listen to the most. I love this version.B)

Great suggestion JMC! Just listened to the Badgeholders version awesome! One of my favorites, had the vinyl BITD and I still get a thrill when the CD version doesn't have to fade out at the end of the album side. Have you heard the No Quarter from 6/27/77? Pagey and Bonham get into some super tight breaks near the end, spaz-tacular!!!!

Archived