Rationing Systems

sweetredwine

Most everyone agrees that we are using too much of the earth's resources, but can we cut back without some sort of a mandatory rationing system?

Over the last decade or so, our family has cut back drastically, mainly due to economic difficulties and disagreement with "globalization ethics". Nowadays we fill up the car only about once a month, eliminate vacations, bathe and wash clothes less often (spot-clean instead of whole garment), stopped buying almost everything (especially clothes and shoes) unless absolutely necessary - and started living on a very small single-income.

When our debit card was cloned a couple of years ago the police couldn't believe we actually lived on our stated income ... they checked our bank account statement history thoroughly, and seemed amazed. But we know many people who manage to live on much less than us, and we're still trying to reduce our impact on the environment.

What do you think about rationing systems, can we move into a new world ethic without making it mandatory? According to this mayor

Mayor Sticks by Her Guns on Voluntary Rationing

she believed that her own voluntary program was working and warned that mandatory cutbacks could slow business and cost jobs, saying "God doesn't want people laid off, nor do I".

Wonder ... Could she - and others - believe in a God that wanted people to lay off and give up their (non-essential) jobs to take better care of their families and to reduce the strain on our planet's natural resources?

Your ideas?

Educating people works better than rationing, which is properly an emergency measure used in limited circumstances. Generally speaking, the free market should prevail.

What type of education would you propose?

Is there a way to teach people that they would be happier living in a smaller environment and remaining more "stationary"? Sometimes there might be an initial attraction to downsizing but - from what I've seen anyway - as soon as most people can afford it they return to going upscale.

Although I agree with the principal, the problem with downsizing and staying stationary is that our economies depend on people spending their money. It's reasonable to shift priority and accept the fact that maybe we really don't need to go into debt to have the latest gadget that hits the marketplace but , hoarding great portions of our money does not necessarily equate to a better life. I know people who have done it and I know people who are doing it. All of them damn near have a coronary when they have to part with any of it and all are miserable ! IMHO, that's a terrible way for a person to live their life dry.gif . Live for today I say. Be sensible about it but don't let life pass you by cause it'll be over before you know it !

Although I agree with the principal, the problem with downsizing and staying stationary is that our economies depend on people spending their money. It's reasonable to shift priority and accept the fact that maybe we really don't need to go into debt to have the latest gadget that hits the marketplace but , hoarding great portions of our money does not necessarily equate to a better life. I know people who have done it and I know people who are doing it. All of them damn near have a coronary when they have to part with any of it and all are miserable ! IMHO, that's a terrible way for a person to live their life dry.gif . Live for today I say. Be sensible about it but don't let life pass you by cause it'll be over before you know it !

But if people chose to lay themselves off - to stop working for money - there would be no problem with hoarding money (at least not for them!) ...

... and then they might be more "stationary" but they could be free to start working for Love and Mother Nature ...

But if people chose to lay themselves off - to stop working for money - there would be no problem with hoarding money (at least not for them!) ...

... and then they might be more "stationary" but they could be free to start working for Love and Mother Nature ...

I've tried working for love but all it did was cost me a ton of dough :D

I've tried working for love but all it did was cost me a ton of dough :D

Well I think maybe that's what's happened ... many mothers started working outside-the-home after they caught their husbands running 'round and spending money with women they (the husbands) worked with, and the cheated-on-and-probably-somewhat-less-pretty (because be honest money usually helps one look better) wives figured "at least I'LL get to keep the money I make and not have to put up with his sh£%(&$t!" (or "hers" either) - so then they divorce and the moms started working with the "other women" until all the women started working ... so then everybody (men and women, young and old) started working ...

but ... working ... for what ???

Surely not working for love ... B)

True, many started working for "peace of mind" and "independence" ... but fact is, most everybody is now dependent on money ... and money alone ... and most apparently prefer it that way! :slapface:

According to this mayor

Mayor Sticks by Her Guns on Voluntary Rationing

she believed that her own voluntary program was working and warned that mandatory cutbacks could slow business and cost jobs, saying "God doesn't want people laid off, nor do I".

Wonder ... Could she - and others - believe in a God that wanted people to lay off and give up their (non-essential) jobs to take better care of their families and to reduce the strain on our planet's natural resources?

A God that wanted people to work for love - a God that wanted people to depend on love and to derive their peace of mind from love - would probably appear to be a mean and cruel God to many people nowadays, one that would deprive people of their "independence" ("independence" = dependence on money)

A God that wanted people to work for love - a God that wanted people to depend on love and to derive their peace of mind from love - would probably appear to be a mean and cruel God to many people nowadays, one that would deprive people of their "independence" ("independence" = dependence on money)

You can trade money for virtually all tangible items. Not true for anything else, including love, as valuable as love is, although some services are provided as labors of love. Money has value because it is universally accepted in trade. Love is only reliable when it is true. Love is not universally accepted in trade, particularly by those who, for whatever reason, don't love you (and they are out there). You should have what you need in regard to both love and money. God does not "deprive" us of our dependence on money, although money is only useful in this world, whereas love is the currency of Heaven. So as not to be trapped by the Romans, He told us to "give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's''. Luke 20:25, Mark 12:17

You can trade money for virtually all tangible items. Not true for anything else, including love, as valuable as love is, although some services are provided as labors of love.

The incredibly vast and thoughtful range of emoticons on this website must be one of those services.

Does anybody know who invents them, and where the ideas for them come from? Can they be found elsewhere, or are they a treat unique to Led Zep ?

:you_rock:

The incredibly vast and thoughtful range of emoticons on this website must be one of those services.

Does anybody know who invents them, and where the ideas for them come from? Can they be found elsewhere, or are they a treat unique to Led Zep ?

:you_rock:

Maybe the webmaster would know.

Archived