I've Arranged For Jimmy's Book To Go Into The British Library In London

kenog

I left this site at the end of 2010. However, I've returned to make this post because it concerns a matter which I have been pursuing since September 2010. I had intimated to a couple of site members by private message that I was going to do this. Under the Legal Deposit Act 2003 (UK legislation) a copy of every book which is published in the UK must be deposited with the British Library in London. I emailed Genesis Publications twice back in September to ask if they were going to deposit a copy of Jimmy's book. They did not reply. Therefore, I lodged a complaint with the British Library. They checked Genesis Publications' record on depositing and found it to be rather poor. I asked the BL to ensure that a copy of Jimmy's book was deposited, and at the same time, if they would arrange for any of Genesis' books which are missing from the BL to also be deposited.

I do not have a particular problem with Genesis - it is just the fact that they must comply with UK publishing law. I saw this as an ideal opportunity for a copy of the book to be publicly available. I feel strongly about diehard Zeppelin fans who were unable to afford the book, or missed out due to its limited numbers. Please note that the British Library is a reference only library, and I believe you would have to take along photographic identification to get access. Check the BL's website for full details.

The book is not in the BL yet. I have emailed the BL to see if they can clarify when it will arrive. I shall print any reply I receive to that query.

I have copied below the latest emails between myself and the BL. It looks from the BL's email to me that a copy of any book which Genesis has in stock is going to be deposited - so more or less their full catalogue will go in and I know that people on here are interested in other bands in addition to Zeppelin.

RE: Genesis Publishing - Complaint

"Davis, Andrew" <Andrew.Davis@bl.uk>

View Contact

To:

xxxxyyyy@yahoo.co.uk>

Dear xxxxyyyy,

Towards the end of last week, I received assurances from Genesis Publications that they are to deposit with the British Library, those titles which are currently available from their publications list.

This includes the title 'Jimmy Page' by Jimmy Page, in which you have a specific interest.

Kind regards

Andrew Davis

Mon, 4 April, 2011 21:02:05

Re: Genesis Publishing - Complaint

xxxxyyyy@yahoo.co.uk>

Add to Contacts

To:

"Davis, Andrew" <Andrew.Davis@bl.uk>

Dear Mr Davis,

Thank you for response in relation to this matter. I should like to take this opportunity to offer you my profound thanks for pursuing this on my behalf.

There is one area which I should be grateful if you clarify for me. Do you have any idea how long it will be before the books are available for access? Obviously, I understand that I could keep checking the British Library's index, but I would intend making a specific journey to London from quite far afield and would want to put travel arrangements in place. It has always been my understanding that once books are sent to a reference library that it can take some time for them to be indexed.

Again, many thanks.

Kind regards

xxxxyyyy

This is the same thing as the Library of Congress being "supposed" to receive a copy of every book--in practice, this has never been the case.

Yes, publishers are supposed to do this automatically - some publishers do comply, others don't.

Genesis probably thought that nobody would notice that they were not complying. Apart from Jimmy's book, a copy of everything which they have available is to go in. I just thought it would be nice if anyone was taking the trouble to go to London, would be able to look at the other volumes at the same time. If you take a look at Genesis' website, there is some good stuff there - Stones, The Who, Dylan.

I guess Genesis probably doesn't want to comply with British law regarding the books, possibly because of the high cost of producing them perhaps?

SuperDave,

I think you are absolutely right on this point. They must be cursing me because of how much this is going to cost them in terms of stock. Nevertheless, the law is the law is the law!

SuperDave,

I think you are absolutely right on this point. They must be cursing me because of how much this is going to cost them in terms of stock. Nevertheless, the law is the law is the law!

Do the publishers receive compensation for this or are they just obligated to do so? Almost seems like a form or communism.

Do the publishers receive compensation for this or are they just obligated to do so? Almost seems like a form or communism.

Superdave,

I don't think they get compensation. It is a legal obligation in the UK. I suppose if you think about it, most books that are published are not anywhere near as expensive as those of Genesis Publications. Then again, Genesis are only foregoing the cost of production of each book. I imagine there is a pretty hefty retail markup on them.

My motive was simply to get a copy somewhere for LZ fans to access, if they were able to do so. I think the other titles which are going in to the BL will also be of interest.

It's hardly communism. There's no real penalty for non-compliance, and most non-compliance goes unnoticed anyway. In any case, if every publisher complied, the BL would run out of space in a very short period, as would the LoC.

It's hardly communism. There's no real penalty for non-compliance, and most non-compliance goes unnoticed anyway. In any case, if every publisher complied, the BL would run out of space in a very short period, as would the LoC.

That was a bit drastic on my part. Not a fair comparison to say the least. Sorry! :slapface:

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update anyone who is interested. I have received a reply from my contact at the British Library. They have received Jimmy's book from Genesis Publications, and will advise me when it has gone through the indexing process, and therefore available to the public. I have copied the email which I received below. I truly wish that I could have done something for the American fan base to have free access in a US library.

Please note that I shall not be insisting that Ross Halfin's new Genesis Publications travel photographic book is deposited with the BL - to say that I am not interested in anything RH produces would be an understatement!!!

Tue, 26 April, 2011 14:06:34

RE: Genesis Publishing - Complaint

To:xxxxxxxxx@yahoo.co.uk

Dear xxxxxxxx,

Jimmy Page is sat on my desk (so to speak).

I will now look to hasten the title through the cataloguing process.

Cataloguing managers are instructed to inform me once the title has been placed in the collection.

I will then forward you this information to enable you to time your visit to London.

Kind regards

Andrew Davis

• 2 weeks later...

A further update for anyone who is interested in gaining free access to not only Jimmy's book, but the rest of the Genesis catalogue which is still available for sale. Here is the correspondence between myself and my contact at the British Library. It looks like Genesis will be having to send a copy of each book they have in stock by the end of this month. I shall return with further updates. At the moment, Jimmy's book is being catalogued, and I shall also update you when Andrew Davis emails me as to its availability.

Fri, 6 May, 2011 8:52:13

RE: Genesis Publications - other items in their back catalogue

To: xxxx.xxxx@yahoo.co.uk

xyz

Just finalising shipment details. I should be able to let you know details of the complete delivery by the end of the month.

Best

Andrew

Archived