Mothership

mrkelp

The original CD releases were pants. The Original remaster was much better. I didn't buy Early/later days because that was just a repackage not a re remaster.

As, I've said earlier in this thread I wouldn't have bought Mothership either but I saw a chance to get it for nothing and took it. Am I glad I did. I'm not disputing what some of you audiophiles say about clipping etc but the proof of the pudding is in the eating and this pudding taste superb. Some of this music was recorded nearly 40 years ago but it sounds so 'now' on the new disc. There's a greater clarity and space around the sounds. Some of it sounds remixed rather than remastered.

My advice for anyone thinking about getting it is to rush out and buy it, you'll not be disappointed. It's not like you have to stop listening to the original remaster now you've got 2 versions of each song.

To my knowledge it's only the songs on Mothership that have been remastered - not the whoile catalogue.

Well, I bought it and, in my case, there's just one problem: "The Ocean" is listed in the DVD but it's not there. Everything else (except the cutting of Moby Dick and Dazed & Confused)

Actually, it is there, it just doesn't get its own track. It looks like it was supposed to be separate, but something was messed up. There is an extra track at end, and some players read the track names (not the song titles that display on the screen, but the ones that pop up on PC players' tracking bars) as "The Ocean" in place of "Going to California", and so on going down the line, the blank track being labelled "Whole Lotta Love". I was wondering if others had the same problem.

I borrowed Mothership from a friend at work to listen to the differences. I still prefer the 1990 box set that I have and the follow up 2 CD box with everything else. Mothership sounds too digitally messed with/altered..........the 1990 box sounds much closer to the original vinyl records.

Just my humble opinion.....

Regards;

Being a relatively new fan to LZ, I'm sort of confused about the sound differences. Which sounds better: The songs from their individual albums, the songs from other sets, or the songs from Mothership?

I haven't heard the box sets, so I don't know if they are the same remasters as the remastered albums. However, I believe that the "complete recordings" set is the same as the remastered individual CDs.

As for which is better, this a subjective thing and really only you can make the call. It depends what you consider to be better. Some people prefer the LPs, some the remastered CDs and some Mothership. I don't think anyone prefers the original CD masters BTW.

I like the first issues of Led Zeppelin on CD done by Barry Diament. (with the exception of lV which was done by Joe Sidore - but I like that as well) These are done with the same tapes that were made to make the Marino masters....they are safeties...not the real 1'st gen tapes...not many people know that...same thing for Mothership...

In other words....those original cd's are how Zeppelin sounded when they were recorded...LOTS of dynamic range...put 'em on again...just listen to them without anything else around...now...you can CRANK those up....

Louder isn't better...that's a myth sold to you...meaning...consistently louder isn't better...not loud isn't better....

Thanx so much for reading...

Archived