Mothership

mrkelp

You can't have too much Zep, and if you ask me, people should not stress over whether or not to spend even $20 on something they really want. Disappointment comes from your expectations, recognize what this album is and you should not be disappointed.

As for Page re-selling material, come one, who is not in business to make money? There is a tremendous amount of interest in Zeppelin, world wide, why should he not release the same material re-packaged? Zep songs, Page's lead and overall guitar work, and the band's unity on virtually all recordings is something special. Those of us who appreciate this music the style, the tone the vocals recognize that there a few bands who are anywhere near the same caliber as Led Zeppelin.

There are those who listen to Led Zeppelin and hear something special, there are those who like Zep and leave it at that, there are those who can stand them, but don't choose to listen to them often, and there are those who can't stand them. I suppose it's the same for all bands, except Zep's fan base spans generations. I think you would find a similar (but probably smaller) situation with Rush, who is also very good and unique.

We hope they tour.

We hope people do not have unrealistic expectations, I mean these guys are not in their 20s.

We hope critics and reviewers do not pick apart this band who deserves the upmost respect and consideration.

We hope that younger people are able to recognize that these guys are not Tool or GodSmack, they are Led Zeppelin, and they come out of a different era. Page's drop D song require more than one finger to play.

Well that's just the reality of the situation. Jimmy should not be scrutinized for putting his band's music on a format which will reach more people, even if that means that some sound is lost.

Anyone musically connected with Steve Albini should not be trusted when it comes to sound quality, as any Albini produced album can attest to.

First-off, putting the music on to a cd format will not degrade the audio (although we could have another discussion regards the merits of analogue vs digital audio), but increasing the volume in the mastering process until it's distorting and clipped most definitely will.

You could do well to read the Bob Weston article and educate yourself. Albini not to be trusted with sound quality? you should have told that to Jimmy Page and Robert Plant before they made Walking into Clarksdale with him....

Can I get this straight.

Mothership has re-remastered tracks different from the 90s Cd version you buy in the shops. Louder etc. with clipping. check

But what about the itunes albums? are the itunes albums re-remastered? or are they straight of the 90s Cds.

thanks

While shopping at my local Target this weekend, I picked up Mothership, put it back, picked it up, put it back, picked up, put it back, I just couldn't decide if it was worth buying, having already bought the CD's from the previous remastering. I've seen people go both ways on this. Some say the new remaster is yet another direction for the music, while others say it's much more compressed, lacking the clarity of the previous masters. Having been a mastering engineer in my previous employment life, I can appreciate multiple remasters of the same material, if it really does bring a new angle to the music. But I"m still hestant to buy Mothership. I have to save my schekles for TSRTS.

Any opinions on the sound of the CD? And if it really is an improvement, is it enough to warrant another round of re-releases?

I was the same way. I bought Song Remains The Same, but I'm hoping to get Mothership for Christmas.

Shit

Side by Side comparison of new and old remasters

Now i'm getting worried that I should buy all the new versions. But I can figure out whether it is only the mothership that has been remastered

Less fretting more enjoying :)

Buy Motherhsip if you have not already,if you like it then perhaps sample a couple of additional tunes from itunes to see if you notice the difference before you proceed further

While shopping at my local Target this weekend, I picked up Mothership, put it back, picked it up, put it back, picked up, put it back, I just couldn't decide if it was worth buying, having already bought the CD's from the previous remastering. I've seen people go both ways on this. Some say the new remaster is yet another direction for the music, while others say it's much more compressed, lacking the clarity of the previous masters. Having been a mastering engineer in my previous employment life, I can appreciate multiple remasters of the same material, if it really does bring a new angle to the music. But I"m still hestant to buy Mothership. I have to save my schekles for TSRTS.

Any opinions on the sound of the CD? And if it really is an improvement, is it enough to warrant another round of re-releases?

If this is any better than the other remasters I've got around the house, I'll buy it!! :)

If this is any better than the other remasters I've got around the house, I'll buy it!! :)

I appreciate the sonic nuance, whether it is better is open to debate.

BTW My understanding is that Remasters sold a truckload in Australia( like 10X Platinum )do you know if is still be sold there or has it been deleted to make way for Mothership?

Don't waste your money om Mothership unless you are a collector and have to have it.

John Davis has basically just compressed most of th tracks and bumped the levels up.

At first listen it sounds better because its in your face and louder (which actually might be better

for those volume capped ipods/mp3 players since you can never get any decent volume from those)

but if you examine the waveforms the peaks are through the roof. I'm surprised there isn't

digital clipping with the levels so high on some of the tracks. You lose a lot fo the nuances

(as in definition #3 -

Main Entry: nu·ance- Function: noun

Pronunciation: 'nü-"än(t)s, 'nyü-, -"ä n s; nu-', nyu-'

Etymology: French, from Middle French, shade of color, from nuer to make shades of color, from nue cloud, from Latin nubes; perhaps akin to Welsh nudd mist

3 : sensibility to, awareness of, or ability to express delicate shadings (as of meaning, feeling, or value)

especially on the acoustic tracks.

Louder does not = better when music is compressed beyond its natural sound.

On the other hand if you have a cheap boom-box of a crappy car stereo and don't care

about losing the subtleties of the music and just want something to piss of the neighbors

with then Mothership is an excellent choice.

However, Zeppelin's music is too good not to

listen for every bit of light and shade that it was created with.

I want to hear Bonzo's cymbals and Robert's vocal breathing and Jimmy's

fingers sliding delicately down the fretboard.

The DVD that comes with the collector's edition is nothing new. Just a re-hash

best of from the Live DVD in '03.

Hope this helps sweety-

Janine

Janine, I said it before and I'll say it again - you are f'n brilliant when it comes to responses!

You cover it all so well and eloquent...you don't piss anyone off; you just state some well thought out facts. Very , very good - some of the best commentary here - period!

Can I be on your friends list? Love your stuff girl!

I appreciate the sonic nuance, whether it is better is open to debate.

BTW My understanding is that Remasters sold a truckload in Australia( like 10X Platinum )do you know if is still be sold there or has it been deleted to make way for Mothership?

:) I must say I can't be sure 100%, but i think Mothership will take lead!!

First-off, putting the music on to a cd format will not degrade the audio (although we could have another discussion regards the merits of analogue vs digital audio), but increasing the volume in the mastering process until it's distorting and clipped most definitely will.

You could do well to read the Bob Weston article and educate yourself. Albini not to be trusted with sound quality? you should have told that to Jimmy Page and Robert Plant before they made Walking into Clarksdale with him....

Bob Weston is a hack, as is anyone else associated with Steve Albini. If Steve Albini is your idol or associate, you have no business talking about sound quality. I own Walking Into Clarksdale and I'm afraid the thing that keeps the album from being what it could be is the production. I'm aware that Jimmy picked Albini, and I contend that was a bad choice.

At any rate, this isn't the point. I'm aware that making the sound louder can cause clipping and therefore sound will be lost, but then this wasn't a compilation meant to be for audiophiles, it was meant for those wanting to buy the songs off iTunes and put them on their iPod. Through those tiny speakers, the clipped sound won't make a difference anyway.

Bob Weston is a hack, as is anyone else associated with Steve Albini.

First off I have no affiliation with either of those two men. I play in bands and I have recorded bands too. I appreciate their contribution to music, plain and simple.

You really have no idea what you're talking about. If you had any idea about sound recording and engineering you'd understand.

There's no point in arguing with you.

First off I have no affiliation with either of those two men. I play in bands and I have recorded bands too. I appreciate their contribution to music, plain and simple.

Well then we're both in the same boat, as I have also played in bands and have recorded bands.

You really have no idea what you're talking about. If you had any idea about sound recording and engineering you'd understand.

There's no point in arguing with you.

I definitely do know what I'm speaking about. Albini's recordings always come out sounding horrible. I know it's a taste thing, and that he's worshiped by some people. He's almost a demigod here in Chicago, and I just don't understand why. He's so deathly allergic to the idea of audio sounding "polished" that he goes for the exact opposite, which is just as unlistenable as overpolished recordings. I'm sorry, but Albini's not that great, and neither is Bob Weston.

Well to all you sound engineers out there this album may be the worst production, but to a straight up fan, I notice very little. I DO notice sound is louder and sounds more "crisp". Since i'm a session drummer I like to practice to some cool tunes that grab my fancy, and when I threw some tracks off this album I had to turn down a bit on my headphones (which is rare) because the bass and drums where thunderous. I DO NOT notice lose of audio. I've listened to my 90's re-issues CD so many times I'm surprised they still work, or that the laser from my CD player has warped a hole or something in the disc, but regardless, you people are trying to split hairs here. Although the DVD was dissapointing as it's the same stuff from the 2003 DVD. I was really hopeing for more of the concert that was the first track on disc 2, Immigrant song. Oh well.

As for the sell-out comments. After over 35 years gone, now Jimmy is a sell-out? Come on guys and gals... your know that statement is not justifiable. If I was a rock super group of the 70's then hell yeah I'd be remastering my tracks. We're in a very digital age and a lot of new possibilities have come to the light. Give him a break and let's all just enjoy the music as was intended.

Peace

Well to all you sound engineers out there this album may be the worst production, but to a straight up fan, I notice very little. I DO notice sound is louder and sounds more "crisp". Since i'm a session drummer I like to practice to some cool tunes that grab my fancy, and when I threw some tracks off this album I had to turn down a bit on my headphones (which is rare) because the bass and drums where thunderous. I DO NOT notice lose of audio. I've listened to my 90's re-issues CD so many times I'm surprised they still work, or that the laser from my CD player has warped a hole or something in the disc, but regardless, you people are trying to split hairs here. Although the DVD was dissapointing as it's the same stuff from the 2003 DVD. I was really hopeing for more of the concert that was the first track on disc 2, Immigrant song. Oh well.

As for the sell-out comments. After over 35 years gone, now Jimmy is a sell-out? Come on guys and gals... your know that statement is not justifiable. If I was a rock super group of the 70's then hell yeah I'd be remastering my tracks. We're in a very digital age and a lot of new possibilities have come to the light. Give him a break and let's all just enjoy the music as was intended.

Peace

I think the mix on this compilation was catered more towards those like you rather than the people who will run crying and screaming to their record players to play their Japanese pressings of the Zeppelin albums (not to say that's a bad thing, I do it too).

I already own the Led Zeppelin Complete Studio Recordings Box set and the first remastering of greatest hits Box set, 1990 I believe, so I am passing up Mothership.

But I did purchase SRTS DVD because that is something of LZ needed to be added to my collection. IT is sitting here waiting for me to watch it.

Plus I own their entire studio recordings + SRTS on vinyl that I purchased in HS, about 500 years ago.

I already own the Led Zeppelin Complete Studio Recordings Box set and the first remastering of greatest hits Box set, 1990 I believe, so I am passing up Mothership.

But I did purchase SRTS DVD because that is something of LZ needed to be added to my collection. IT is sitting here waiting for me to watch it.

Plus I own their entire studio recordings + SRTS on vinyl that I purchased in HS, about 500 years ago.

I'm not a sound enginner BUT I love the sound of Mothership! I hear a lot of sounds I've never heard before. The instruments and vocals are nice, clear, and punchy...definitely better than any of the previous remasters.

Cool reads here. I wonder if the -never/before/heard- sounds we tend to hear on new remasters are REALLY there or are they only a figment of our MUSICAL imagination! Would anyone here recommend Mothership to any LZ newbie who does not have any remasters of the band?

Rob

Don't waste your money om Mothership unless you are a collector and have to have it.

John Davis has basically just compressed most of th tracks and bumped the levels up.

At first listen it sounds better because its in your face and louder (which actually might be better

for those volume capped ipods/mp3 players since you can never get any decent volume from those)

but if you examine the waveforms the peaks are through the roof. I'm surprised there isn't

digital clipping with the levels so high on some of the tracks. You lose a lot fo the nuances

(as in definition #3 -

Main Entry: nu·ance- Function: noun

Pronunciation: 'nü-"än(t)s, 'nyü-, -"ä n s; nu-', nyu-'

Etymology: French, from Middle French, shade of color, from nuer to make shades of color, from nue cloud, from Latin nubes; perhaps akin to Welsh nudd mist

3 : sensibility to, awareness of, or ability to express delicate shadings (as of meaning, feeling, or value)

especially on the acoustic tracks.

Louder does not = better when music is compressed beyond its natural sound.

On the other hand if you have a cheap boom-box of a crappy car stereo and don't care

about losing the subtleties of the music and just want something to piss of the neighbors

with then Mothership is an excellent choice.

However, Zeppelin's music is too good not to

listen for every bit of light and shade that it was created with.

I want to hear Bonzo's cymbals and Robert's vocal breathing and Jimmy's

fingers sliding delicately down the fretboard.

The DVD that comes with the collector's edition is nothing new. Just a re-hash

best of from the Live DVD in '03.

Hope this helps sweety-

Janine

Very interesting reading..are you a sound engineer ??

Archived