Led Zep - Original CD releases

Hi all!

I understand that all of the vinyl albums were first put on to CD in the '80's, after re-mastering by Barry Diament (except for LZ which was remastered by Joe Sidore) and I'm hoping that someone will be able to tell me first release dates for each of the following.

Led Zeppelin (SD 19126-2)

Led Zeppelin II (SD 19127-2)

Led Zeppelin III (SD 19128-2)

Led Zeppelin IV (SD 19129-2)

Houses Of The Holy (SD 19130-2)

Physical Graffiti (SS 200-2)

Presence (SS 8416-2)

The Song Remains The Same (SS 201-2)

In Through The Out Door (16002-2)

Coda (90051-2)

I thought that I'd managed to find the answers until I noticed that LZ (1 - 3) were showing as 1990 releases but IV was showing up as 1986, which, surely, can't be right!!

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

I believe these were all released in Cardboard (Long Boxes) around 1985, if memory serves me right.

It was right before the Beatles catalog was released on CD in the US (which was 1986).

I'm sure someone will come along soon with the answer(s).

Until then, perhaps Google Led Zeppelin Long Box cd release dates, check ebay, amazon, allmusic.com, etc..

R B)

Edited by reids

I believe these were all released in Cardboard (Long Boxes) around 1985, if memory serves me right.

It was right before the Beatles catalog was released on CD in the US (which was 1986).

Until then, perhaps Google Led Zeppelin Long Box cd release dates, check ebay, amazon, allmusic.com, etc..

R B)

I know the Beatles cd remasters got released in groups. Not sure which was the first cd to be released, but were probably released in order. I know "Sgt. Pepper" was released on the 20th anniversary of the original release date on June 1st 1987.

R B)

Many thanks for the reply.

I'd tried checking the various remastered sets (most seem to have been issued around '93) and they all have differing numbers from the ones I'm looking for and I'm very wary that these may be the remastered remasters!

As individual discs I located some of them but reckoned that the info' couldn't be 100% accurate when I noticed LZ IV being released 4 years before LZ 1-3 as surely the remasters would have been released as per the original sequence.

The other difficulty is that a number of sites use the original release dates for the vinyl albums along with the numbers for the CD versions!

I thought that I'd managed to find the answers until I noticed that LZ (1 - 3) were showing as 1990 releases but IV was showing up as 1986, which, surely, can't be right!!

My personal journal shows the first Led Zeppelin compact disc I ever heard was Led Zeppelin IV in September 1983 (but my journals were transcribed so it could be a typo). As I recall IV was indeed the very first Led Zeppelin compact disc title ever released and the others followed.

Jimmy & George Marino initiated and completed the remastering for the Led Zeppelin Box Set in May 1990, so it's highly likely the entire back catalog had been initially released between 1983-1989.

I still vividly recall what was billed as the first ever Led Zeppelin bootleg compact disc - a partial soundboard recording of their 1980 Zurich concert in a full color cardboard slipcase with yellow borders and an iconic '77 live shot on the cover - released circa 1987-1988. I believe the title was Tour Over Europe 1980. The live shot was that famous one of Page in the white dragon suit with his red double-neck and looking like he'd just broken his right ankle.

http://www.wired.com...ompact-disk-is/

Edited by SteveAJones

Nope, I just tried that site and it just lists the vinyl album releases, nothing about the first CD release of Zeppelin's catalogue around 1985-86.

My question is why you're interested, Laeo? If it's purely for archival informational purposes, or an article, fine. But if you are thinking of actually getting the original cds, I would say save your money and forget it. They sound crappy, and in the case of "Physical Graffiti", butchered.

Whomever was in charge of the "Physical Graffiti" release should be strung up by his thumbs.

OOOOOOPS!!!!!

I've just realised that my opening post contained a MAJOR error!!

The numbers I quoted (which are correct) relate to the first CD releases of the original vinyl tracks (not remastered) but on CD not vinyl (my post should have said NOT those remastered by.......

Does anyone have a stone handy that I can crawl under, whilst providing me with their release dates?

Nope, I just tried that site and it just lists the vinyl album releases, nothing about the first CD release of Zeppelin's catalogue around 1985-86.

My question is why you're interested, Laeo? If it's purely for archival informational purposes, or an article, fine. But if you are thinking of actually getting the original cds, I would say save your money and forget it. They sound crappy, and in the case of "Physical Graffiti", butchered.

Whomever was in charge of the "Physical Graffiti" release should be strung up by his thumbs.

OOOOOOPS!!!!!

The numbers I quoted (which are correct) relate to the first CD releases of the original vinyl tracks (not remastered) but on CD not vinyl (my post should have said NOT those remastered by.......

Does anyone have a stone handy that I can crawl under, whilst providing me with their release dates?

OOOOOOPS!!!!!

Crawl out from under that rock, Laeotaekhun...you have nothing to be ashamed of. I understood perfectly that the catalog numbers you listed were referring to the original CD and not the vinyl releases.

I didn't buy Zeppelin on cd until 1985, when I returned from Europe and put most of my vinyl collection in storage. I'm pretty sure by the end of 1986, I had all 10 of them on cd(all the studio records plus TSRTS and Coda).

Steve has confirmed that Zoso was the first cd release, so we now know they weren't issued on CD in chronological order. Of course, I got rid of them as soon as the remasters started rolling out.

Side note: that Tour Over Europe 80 boot that Steve mentions was also my FIRST CD bootleg. I no longer have it. It was stolen by a druggy roommate long ago

Edited by Strider

Hmm... Did you try rateyourmusic.com?

Now, I can be kinda stupid, but I think they have the release dates there.

Click here: http://rateyourmusic...st/led_zeppelin.

Then go on down to the albums, and I just clicked on their first one.

And then it takes you to a big ol' long list of releases. When you click on one of them, it takes you to a page with more info on it, which includes the date. Sometimes the date is just the year, and sometimes it's got the day and month, too.

I'm not seeing 1985... sad.gif Perhaps it's in compilations or something. I'm gonna go look. A mystery is afoot!

EDIT: Nope, still can't find anything around the mid-80s. Thus, rym may not be all that comprehensive.

Edited by Nicey

Well, according to that Rate Your Music site, the first CD issue of Led Zeppelin IV # 19129-2, was in January 1984.

And Physical Graffiti SS 200-2 was released January 1987.

I'll have to investigate further. Another possible way to check the first CD release dates is to look through an old Schwinn's or other record catalogue.

Edited by Strider

• 8 years later...
On 7/26/2011 at 9:05 AM, SteveAJones said:

My personal journal shows the first Led Zeppelin compact disc I ever heard was Led Zeppelin IV in September 1983 (but my journals were transcribed so it could be a typo). As I recall IV was indeed the very first Led Zeppelin compact disc title ever released and the others followed.

You are of course correct. I bought the first Led Zeppelin album put to disc and it was Zeppelin IV. I remember buying it it even though I didn't have a cd player yet. To this day it hasn't been played more than 4 times. I still have the long box but its not in pristine condition.