looking for a picture

joey1985

I'm looking for a picture of Jimmy playing his other red les paul in 77. Jimmy had two red les pauls that looked the same and the lesser known one was only a back up on the 77 tour and pictures of him using it are super rare. I just found out that this guitar existed not long ago, anyone with more information would be very helpful. I thought this was BS at first considering I have never seen it in any of the guitar collection photos and it has never been mentioned in jimmy's gear but apparently it is true.

I'm looking for a picture of Jimmy playing his other red les paul in 77. Jimmy had two red les pauls that looked the same and the lesser known one was only a back up on the 77 tour and pictures of him using it are super rare. I just found out that this guitar existed not long ago, anyone with more information would be very helpful. I thought this was BS at first considering I have never seen it in any of the guitar collection photos and it has never been mentioned in jimmy's gear but apparently it is true.

gibson_les_paul_deluxe-02_02.jpg

I should have posted that one, I already have that picture but I didn't want people to think it was the other red one though, guess it wouldn't have mattered. That just might be the only picture of that guitar. Do you have any information?

Not sure how many times he used it, but I know he did on over the hills in Seattle of that tour. AFter doing a lot of searching there is much debate as to what that guitar even is but it is definitely not this guitar :

One of the Red Les Paul's he also would use on Achilles Last Stand on the 1977 tour- he had to switch to it at the New York 6-11-77 and Los Angeles 6-22-77 shows after technical difficulties (strap broke or string broke)

Here is the problem, Jimmy had two purple les pauls one purchased in 1970 and one in 1974. The latter of the two being used very little and only on the 77 tour as a back up. You can spot a difference but it is hard to tell. I'm not sure which one he is using in those 77 pictures above, I can't imagine he would bring both on the road.

Here is the problem, Jimmy had two purple les pauls one purchased in 1970 and one in 1974. The latter of the two being used very little and only on the 77 tour as a back up. You can spot a difference but it is hard to tell. I'm not sure which one he is using in those 77 pictures above, I can't imagine he would bring both on the road.

I am only aware of one purple/red Les Paul. It used to be gold but was repainted. Later on a Parsons/White B Bender was added to the guitar. He used this guitar during Whole Lotta Love from TSRTS film, and was later used during the MTV Page/Plant show where he played it on Thank You. (and Other tracks) He also used it on the Outrider tour as well.

I am only aware of one purple/red Les Paul. It used to be gold but was repainted. Later on a Parsons/White B Bender was added to the guitar. He used this guitar during Whole Lotta Love from TSRTS film, and was later used during the MTV Page/Plant show where he played it on Thank You. (and Other tracks) He also used it on the Outrider tour as well.

More info about Page's guitars can be found here

Yea that one was bought in 1970, most agree that it is a 69 gold top sprayed purple metallic and routed out for humbuckers, but he did have another that he bought in 74 that was almost identical.

Yea that is one way, position of the Gibson logo, binding width... there are a few giveaways. I just think it is strange that its use was so limited and it has not been seen since. I personally love both of them I really like that color.

Some people say that it is his second one. It is just strange to see two guitars that had the same work done to both and they both end up in the hands of two English guitarist. Neither guitar was stock.

This is Jimmy's guitar army for the 1977 tour. This was taken backstage at the first Oakland show on July 23, 1977. I see just the one red/purple Les Paul but maybe ithe other one is in a case somewhere-who knows?

1977-07-XX_LZ_Oakland_Coliseum-04.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here is a pretty rare one, I believe this is the famed mystery red les paul that is NOT the one in the song remains the same that was only used on the 1977 tour.

JP_77.jpg

That pic is from the last night in Los Angeles at the Forum 6-27-77 and he is playing either Over the Hills and Far Away or Achilles Last Stand.

Archived