Soap Opera's and Talk shows

silvermedalist

My wife watches the Young and the Restless and The Talk. Now my ex wife used to watch General Hospital. So now I am watching the Young and the Restless at dinner time with her recorded during the day. And the Talk sometimes. You would be surprised how entertaining these soaps can be. Now go ahead and let me have it you macho men that are sure to insult me for watching. Go ahead. Make my day. I like the show. What has just occured if you are a viewer is pretty crazy. They are trying to make Diane's murder look like the whole damn city was in on it. But Adam seems to be the most likely culprit. He is not expendable Always consider that. Who is expendable and who is not. As for the Talk, they have had their share of big stars on recently. I thought Roseanne made a fool of herself. Anyone see it?

For those that do not know, Sharon Ozbourne is a regular. Ozzie's wife, a real pistol

I used to watch the CBS soaps years ago; I was sorry to see so many of them being shut down. Guiding Light, As the World Turns...I watched off and on from the 70s until around the time I started having kids. I haven't watched them in years, but you could come back after a long viewing absence and still know what was going on (and often find someone resurrected from the dead!) :o

Knots Landing was my night-time soap; I hated to see that one go :(

I don't watch the talk shows.

The only soap I watch is One Life to Live, which I started watching around 8 years ago. Every morning when I would set up the VCR to record another show, the previous day's OLTL would be on,and I became fascinated by a character named Mitch. About 2 weeks after I started watching the show, Mitch was killed but I continued watching anyway. My husband laughs at it & calls OLTL "your stupid show"- yet he has watched it with me & sometime even asks what happened on the show that day (I think he really likes it but like a lot of men won't admit to it).

I don't like soap operas (never have), and don't watch talk shows. I think it might have something to do with the fact I'm not home when any of that stuff is on. I think I watch five hours of TV a week, if that. Mostly News14 Carolina, The Weather Channel, and occasionally VH1 Classic if something worthwhile is on.

I don't like soap operas (never have), and don't watch talk shows. I think it might have something to do with the fact I'm not home when any of that stuff is on. I think I watch five hours of TV a week, if that. Mostly News14 Carolina, The Weather Channel, and occasionally VH1 Classic if something worthwhile is on.

That is why I love the DVR. Can tape anything and set it to tape everyday. Well, she has me hooked now. Once you get into one of them you can get hooked. I used to watch General Hospital. I like Sonny (Maurice Bernard) but it got bad for a while and I stopped. Now I watch the Young and Restless which is very good. Stephan Cassadine from GH is now a major player on the Young and Restless. He crossed over like many have. So did Laura. Yes, from Luke and Laura. Now on Y and R.

Liz, you might like the Talk. A younger version of the View. Sharon Ozbourne is one of the hosts. I suggest you watch it once and give it a chance. You may like it.

I'll repeat myself: I'm not home when any of that stuff is on, and don't tell me to DVR it. I have neither the desire, nor the money, to purchase one.

BTW, saying The Talk is like The View makes me even less inclined to want to seek it out and watch it.

I'll repeat myself: I'm not home when any of that stuff is on, and don't tell me to DVR it. I have neither the desire, nor the money, to purchase one.

BTW, saying The Talk is like The View makes me even less inclined to want to seek it out and watch it.

The view sucks. So it was a bad comparison. I am not telling you go go get a DVR. Just saying its a good thing to have. As you told me last week. "Calm the fuck down Liz"

Trust me, Electro, you're not missing a thing...and you're saving yourself money.

Daytime TV is a vast wasteland of schlock. And it bewilders me that someone who worked all day would want to actually go to the trouble to tivo or dvr it to watch when they came home. There's usually something worth watching at night if your cable system's halfway decent...like Jeopardy.

I was stuck watching daytime TV recently, and let me tell you, I spent most of it watching slack-jawed. I couldn't believe the sheer amount of lewdness and abnormality celebrated and dwelt upon. There are shows now that make Jerry Springer seem tame in comparison.

What's really galling is how so many of these so-called talk shows traffic in the most base stereotypes of Southerners as white-trash, inbred hillbillies and blacks as ghetto-gangbangers.

The Soaps are basically Romance novels for people who don't have time to read...but it doesn't take a brain surgeon to see the time of Soap Operas is coming to an end. I can't believe how many longtime soaps have pulled the plug recently.

The only soap opera I ever watched regularly was Dark Shadows in the late-60s-early 70s. It was on in the afternoons after school, and it had a cool theme song which used a Theremin. The immortal Jonathan Frid starred as the vampire Barnabus Collins...freaking Joan Bennett was even on the show! It only lasted 5 or 6 seasons.

As for The View, it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it is William F. Buckley's Firing Line compared to the sad sack of shit that is The Talk. Oh sweet Jesus, every time I go to my blood coag clinic for an appointment, this unholy mess is on the hospital tv.

First of all, Sharon Osbourne has crossed the line where a person goes from colourful personality to shrill, annoying caricature. Shut her up already. The rest of the women you just find yourself shaking your head and saying, "didn't you used to be somebody?" I mean, after being so good on Roseanne, this is what Sara Gilbert is reduced to?

SNL is rarely funny these days, but they HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD with their parody of The Talk. Of course, some may argue The Talk is already a parody of themselves...and similar shows like The View.

Whatever, rest assured Electro you are adding years to your life by avoiding The Talk...and the rest of daytime tv.

Side note: I think I read that close to 40% of the "miracle diets" and drugs and health issues reported on daytime shows turn out to be factually incorrect, if not downright hoaxes perpetrated by the pharmaceutical companies.

Trust me, Electro, you're not missing a thing...and you're saving yourself money.

Daytime TV is a vast wasteland of schlock. And it bewilders me that someone who worked all day would want to actually go to the trouble to tivo or dvr it to watch when they came home. There's usually something worth watching at night if your cable system's halfway decent...like Jeopardy.

I was stuck watching daytime TV recently, and let me tell you, I spent most of it watching slack-jawed. I couldn't believe the sheer amount of lewdness and abnormality celebrated and dwelt upon. There are shows now that make Jerry Springer seem tame in comparison.

What's really galling is how so many of these so-called talk shows traffic in the most base stereotypes of Southerners as white-trash, inbred hillbillies and blacks as ghetto-gangbangers.

The Soaps are basically Romance novels for people who don't have time to read...but it doesn't take a brain surgeon to see the time of Soap Operas is coming to an end. I can't believe how many longtime soaps have pulled the plug recently.

The only soap opera I ever watched regularly was Dark Shadows in the late-60s-early 70s. It was on in the afternoons after school, and it had a cool theme song which used a Theremin. The immortal Jonathan Frid starred as the vampire Barnabus Collins...freaking Joan Bennett was even on the show! It only lasted 5 or 6 seasons.

As for The View, it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it is William F. Buckley's Firing Line compared to the sad sack of shit that is The Talk. Oh sweet Jesus, every time I go to my blood coag clinic for an appointment, this unholy mess is on the hospital tv.

First of all, Sharon Osbourne has crossed the line where a person goes from colourful personality to shrill, annoying caricature. Shut her up already. The rest of the women you just find yourself shaking your head and saying, "didn't you used to be somebody?" I mean, after being so good on Roseanne, this is what Sara Gilbert is reduced to?

SNL is rarely funny these days, but they HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD with their parody of The Talk. Of course, some may argue The Talk is already a parody of themselves...and similar shows like The View.

Whatever, rest assured Electro you are adding years to your life by avoiding The Talk...and the rest of daytime tv.

Side note: I think I read that close to 40% of the "miracle diets" and drugs and health issues reported on daytime shows turn out to be factually incorrect, if not downright hoaxes perpetrated by the pharmaceutical companies.

Now now Strider. That is your opinion. But women seem to like these shows. And the soap I mentioned is very entertaining. I too like Jeopardy, but there is alot of junk on at night too. I would rather watch hockey than any of it. I understand you dont like the talk, but its a woman show. There is some very good acting on the Y and R so she is not wasting her time if she were to watch it and see for herself

On a recent Talk show, Rosanne showed up. She is now living on her Macadamia nut farm with some hippie straight out of the sixties. She has become a flower child so to speak and believes Macadamia nuts can cure all that ails you. I think Sara was embarassed by the way she acted. Made a damn fool of herself in my opinion. Strider can fill us in on the rest as he is a daily viewer.:lol:

I got sucked into watching daytime soaps when I was an at home mom for about 3 years. All my children, One life to live (my favorite) and General hospital. But I don't watch any more.

I remember rushing home to watch Dark Shadows as a kid. Me and my girlfriends loved to watch that show. The original Gothics.

And in the seventies, I watched Soap. On in the evening and a spoof on soaps.

The eighties evening soap for me was Dynasty. Couldn't do anything else on the night it was on. My now hubby and I were dating at the time and he knew not to call me on that night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjpCU4Zy9Cs

I remember one time in the early 80s there was some major revelation coming between Nikki and Victor on "The Young and the Restless"; I asked my mom to watch it for me that day while I was at school, and she actually took notes :) (of course, I no longer remember what that was all about ...)

I used to love Guiding Light though; remember the 4 Musketeers?

When my husband and I were dating, Knots Landing was a regular date night for us. I watched that for years; found reruns on cable in the mid 90s during one of my maternity leaves :lol: (Abby was so entertaining!)

^^^^^ There was always some bitch slapping going on on these shows.

Dynasty had some pretty good catfights, especially between Alexis and Crystal. But this one is the most entertaining. Sammy Jo and Fallon.

You forgot to mention that you also watch "South Park" and please do not deny it. You made a reference to "South Park" a couple of months ago pertaining to something that someone replied to me about.

By the way, electrophile, I really have a hard time believing you when you say that you only "watch five hours of TV a week". Your "Holier than thou" and "I am better then you" act/attitude does seem to get very tiresome very quickly. I am positive alot of people would agree with me.

Edited to say: I watch alot of television and learn alot of things in the process. I also read alot and also absorb alot of things that are printed and not televised.

You forgot to mention that you also watch "South Park" and please do not deny it. You made a reference to "South Park" a couple of months ago pertaining to something that someone replied to me about.

By the way, electrophile, I really have a hard time believing you when you say that you only "watch five hours of TV a week". Your "Holier than thou" and "I am better then you" act/attitude does seem to get very tiresome very quickly. I am positive alot of people would agree with me.

Edited to say: I watch alot of television and learn alot of things in the process. I also read alot and also absorb alot of things that are printed and not televised.

Put me down as one that agrees. Very well put. She is holier than thou.

I watched Oprah on my afternoon breaks at work, that is, when no customers were in the waiting lounge. Some don't care for her but she has a good heart and I am going to miss our afternoons. On a good note though, Dr. Oz is going to be taking that time slot. I like him. Maybe he will inspire me to make some beneficial lifestyle changes.

I watched Oprah on my afternoon breaks at work, that is, when no customers were in the waiting lounge. Some don't care for her but she has a good heart and I am going to miss our afternoons. On a good note though, Dr. Oz is going to be taking that time slot. I like him. Maybe he will inspire me to make some beneficial lifestyle changes.

I always thought it was interesting when in the movie "The Edge" Anthony Hopkins, playing a billionaire stranded in the wilderness with Alex Baldwin says, "when I get home I am going to change my life. I have never known anyone that really changed their life?" I guess its easier said than done?

Archived