Do you read less books (...since the Internet)?

Janvier

Unfortunately I do, my average annual or monthly reading has plummeted... (Luckily I did a lot of reading in the past, used to spend hours, days at the University library). I read less and buy less books, since the Internet, since youtube and since Web forums...

I guess you're one of the reasons we had to close our bookstore a couple years ago, and why a couple of my friends are struggling to keep theirs afloat. ;)

It's not a question of the online availability of reading materials... It's a question of available time.

My leisure time these days goes to browsing the Internet while in the past it went to reading paper books.

Buying a book it's one of the most pleasurable experiences. The problem is, when am I going to read it if the available time is getting scarce?

In other words, I have nothing to do with that bookstore closing down.

It's not a question of the online availability of reading materials... It's a question of available time.

My leisure time these days goes to browsing the Internet while in the past it went to reading paper books.

Buying a book it's one of the most pleasurable experiences. The problem is, when am I going to read it if the available time is getting scarce?

In other words, I have nothing to do with that bookstore closing down.

You just posted that you read less and buy less books. So yes, you and all the other millions who spend more time on the internet and buy less books at bookshops are one of the reasons so many small independent bookstores struggle to survive.

I definitely read fewer books than I used to, but that started when I changed jobs and started driving to work. Public transportation provided time to read, but when I stopped taking it, I stopped reading. Now I read on vacation - mostly on the plane and train getting there and back.

I really miss living in the city...

You just posted that you read less and buy less books. So yes, you and all the other millions who spend more time on the internet and buy less books at bookshops are one of the reasons so many small independent bookstores struggle to survive.

Seen this way yes, I agree.

Turn off your computer? :blink:

I'm going to start doing this, thanks!

Good on ya'...and Glenn Gould rules; what a fascinating man and pianist.

I've never heard him (gonna You Tube). I just grabbed the book 'A Romance On 3 Legs' as it looked interesting.

His favorite piano was dropped and ruined by idiots. :^(

Archived