Dick Clark Dies at 82

Jahfin

Dick Clark, Entertainment Icon Nicknamed 'America's Oldest Teenager,' Dies at 82

gty_dick_clark_jef_120405_wg.jpg

Dick Clark attends Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve with Ryan Seacrest 2011 in Times Square in this Dec. 31, 2010 file photo in New York City. (Andrew Walker/DCNYRE2011/Getty Images)

By JULIA KATHAN and SHEILA MARIKAR

Dick Clark, the music industry maverick, longtime TV host and powerhouse producer who changed the way we listened to pop music with "American Bandstand," and whose trademark "Rockin' Eve" became a fixture of New Year's celebrations, died today at the age of 82.

Clark's agent Paul Shefrin said in statement that the veteran host died this morning following a "massive heart attack."

Born in Mount Vernon, N.Y., on Nov. 30, 1929, Richard Wagstaff Clark began his lifelong career in show business began before he was even out of high school. He started working in the mailroom of WRUN, a radio station in upstate New York run by his father and uncle. It wasn't long before the teenager was on the air, filling in for the weatherman and the announcer.

To read the rest of the story, click here.

It seems like we're becoming the grim reaper's messengers...

My condolences to Dick Clark's family. He was an American icon. I was weaned on his American Bandstand:

As well as this other Dick Clark show. It aired in the afternoon and I remember racing home from elementary school to watch it...sometimes my grandmother would have a bowl of "chicken and stars" soup waiting for me on a TV tray in her den.

In the days before The Midnight Special, Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, ABC's In Concert and Austin City Limits, American Bandstand was one of the few places we could go to get our musical fix via television (even if it was lip synched). I tuned into Soul Train on Saturdays for the dancing and switched over to American Bandstand to see what was big on the charts. The Rate-A-Record thing was pretty cool too. It's was because of that feature that "it's got a good beat and you can dance to it" became part of the lexicon.

In the days before The Midnight Special, Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, ABC's In Concert and Austin City Limits, American Bandstand was one of the few places we could go to get our musical fix via television (even if it was lip synched). I tuned into Soul Train on Saturdays for the dancing and switched over to American Bandstand to see what was big on the charts. The Rate-A-Record thing was pretty cool too. It's was because of that feature that "it's got a good beat and you can dance to it" became part of the lexicon.

aw..thats a shame

classic guy.........a television rock n roll legend

In my case (and that of my contemporaries) before Soul Train (which taught me to dance, really dance) American Bandstand was the only daily show and one of the few places (other than the weekly Hullabaloo and Shindig) where we could go to learn about music, dance, and style. It was an integral part of my life. I can thank Dick Clark for kindling my love of music at such an early age and for bringing it into my home. The Rate-A-Record thing was very cool - I loved when Dick brought teenagers out of the dancing audience and asked them to talk about each record - I learned a lot from that too. For Dick Clark, so much of it was about the music, his love of it...and his joy in sharing it.

Sad news... RIP Dick Clark..... My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

I had the pleasure and honor of meeting Dick Clark when in the mid 80's he came to speak at the school i was attending called the Center of the Media Arts in Manhattan. I just remember how enthusiatic he was and how just by his mere presence put smiles on everyone faces. Then a few months later i was doing my internship at a major studio in Times Square and ran into him again when we were working on The American Music Awards show and he remembered me by name nonetheless. Great guy!!! Definately a life well lived!!!

Sad news... RIP Dick Clark..... My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

I had the pleasure and honor of meeting Dick Clark when in the mid 80's he came to speak at the school i was attending called the Center of the Media Arts in Manhattan. I just remember how enthusiatic he was and how just by his mere presence put smiles on everyone faces. Then a few months later i was doing my internship at a major studio in Times Square and ran into him again when we were working on The American Music Awards show and he remembered me by name nonetheless. Great guy!!! Definately a life well lived!!!

Pretty cool story.

RIP to a class act...

Archived