soundcheck from May 4, 1973

chef free

Your post is misleading - the exact date of the soundcheck is unknown. Consensus is given to the date mentioned above by chef free; some have posited others in 1973, others that it dates to 1975.

(Confer Ledy Mazeppa's posts about the soundcheck and all pertinent info here: http://www.royal-orl...ndcheck#p754270.)

I have it on vinyl and the sleeve says July 5th. What a mess. :wacko:

No sh!t, still wouldn't explain why they would be in LA in June of '75.

well the issue is that Percy was pretty happy with the recording of the soundcheck prior to the June 25 1972 show and how the band got into this medley thing. Percy's quote can be read in Simon Pallet/Dave Lewis' concert file (latent incarnation).

IMHO the slight crack in his voice on How the West Was Won gives away the date... But I won't wager my entre Zeppelin collection on it.

well the issue is that Percy was pretty happy with the recording of the soundcheck prior to the June 25 1972 show and how the band got into this medley thing. Percy's quote can be read in Simon Pallet/Dave Lewis' concert file (latent incarnation).

IMHO the slight crack in his voice on How the West Was Won gives away the date... But I won't wager my entre Zeppelin collection on it.

Maybe I'm missing something here....so your take is that the recording is from June of '72?

Interesting....anybody else thinking that?

Maybe I'm missing something here....so your take is that the recording is from June of '72?

Interesting....anybody else thinking that?

Nope! Not me. In my mind and to my ears there is no way that is a soundcheck from 1972.

I'm satisfied after looking and listening to all the clues that the soundcheck is from Chicago 1973.

I'm satisfied after looking and listening to all the clues that the soundcheck is from Chicago 1973.

I agree with you, but a few seem hell bent on giving another date or another reason why it can't be ChiTown '73.....

"Chicago Soundcheck" has long been circulating under different names, different number of songs in content, their order, different interpretation of the sources' names, but most controversial - the different dates,

Although the very name "Chicago Soundcheck" binds it to Chicago, 6 or 7 July 73, then appeared the dates:

as Minneapolis, 18 January 1975,

or Atlanta, 4 or 3 May 1973

3-1.jpg

"Circa 1975", boot on vinyl

1 Custard Pie

2 Wanton Jam

3 The Rover

4 Rover Jam / Night Flight

5 Chuck Berry Medley: No Particular Place To Go

6 Chuck Berry Medley: Nadine

7 Chuck Berry Medley: Rockin' and Reelin'

8 Rockabilly Medley: Move On Down The Line

9 Rockabilly Medley: Love Me Like A Hurricane

10 Rockabilly Medley: Keep On Movin'

11 Rockabilly Medley: Shakin' All Over

----------------------------------------

2544395870104113619S600x600Q85.jpg

"Tribute To Johnny Kidd And The Pirates" (LP, Kidd 56, 2008)

A1 Schooldays

A2 Go Go Go

A3 Love Me Like A Hurricane

A4 Move It

A5 Dynamite

A6 Shakin' All Over

A7 Hungry For Love

A8 I'll Never Get Over You

A9 Reeling And Rockin

B1 Tales From The Riverside

B2 Daze That Used To Be

B3 In The Beechwoods

B4 Bert Jansch

B5 Who Remembers Davy Graham

-------------------------------

Led Zeppelin: "A Tributed to Johnny Kidd and the Pirates", Silver CD

similar to 'the Chicago Soundcheck' but with 9 more songs from 1970 included.Led Zeppelin play a number 50's rock and roll songs (with mixed success), and some rough versions of songs that would later appear on Physical Graffiti.

1 School Days

2 Nadine

3 Round And Round

4 Move On Down The Line

5 Love Me Like A Hurricane

6 Move It

7 Dynamite

8 Shakin' All Over

9 Hungry For Love

10 I'll Never Get Over You

11 Reelin' And Rockin'

12 Snowdonia

13 Tales From The Riverside

14 Dazed That Used To Be

15 Bert Jansch

16 In The Beechwoods

17 Friends

18 Wind In The Willows

19 Golden Breast

20 Who Remembers Davey Graham?

21 Strawberry Jam #1

22 Strawberry Jam #2

23 The Wanton Song

24 The Rover #1

25 The Rover #2

26 Night Flight #1

27 Night Flight #2

28 Night Flight #3

Tracks 1-11, 21-28 are Soundboards from Chicago 1973 Soundcheck (though possibly Minneapolis 1975)Tracks 12 - 20 are demos from Bron-Y-Aur Cottage, Wales, 1970

-----------------

CD boot

6 July 1973, Soundcheck, Chicago Auditorium, Chicago, Illinois, USA

Label: Fan Release

Recording: St-Soundboard 10

excellent Soundboard, Stereo,

Tracks:

1 Sugar Baby (Strawberry Jam) 5:06,

2 Wanton Song 2:57,

3 The Rover 7:01,

4 The Rover (incl. 'A Quick One' and 'All Along The Watchtower') 5:11,

5 Night Flight 7:14,

6 School Days 2:48,

7 Nadine 1:03,

8 Round and Round 0:40,

9 Round and Round 3:41,

10 Move on Down the Line 1:50,

11 Please Don't Tease 2:50,

12 Move It (C'mon Pretty Baby) 1:28 [with digital noice],

13 Dynamite 1:32,

14 Shaking All Over 1:32,

15 Hungry For Love 2:13,

16 I'll Never Get Over You 2:16,

17 Reelin' and Rockin' / Surrender / Rock and Roll (drum intro) / Organ 5:18

----------------

"Outtakes", CD, Disk 8

Chicago Auditorium, Chicago, July 6, 1973?

2. Sugar Baby (5:07)

3. The Wanton Song (2:39)

4. The Rover (8:22)

5. Night Flight (11:04)

6. School Days (3:10)

7. Nadine (1:03)

8. Round And Round (3:25)

9. Move On Down The Line (2:54)

10. Love Me Like A Hurricane (2:43)

11. C'Mon Pretty Baby (3:03)

12. Shakin' All Over (2:51)

13. Hungry For Love (2:27)

14. I'll Never Get Over You (2:13)

15. Reelin' And Rockin' (1:46)

16. Surrender (3:38)

Just picked up the thread devoted to the topic, with some interesting notes.

http://www.royal-orleans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21824&hilit=Chicago+Soundcheck&start=25

agree about the year, that this is not 1975, but clearly 1973

about the date ...

once again listened this soundcheck and nearby concerts to probable dates:

at the beginning of the first leg - next date to Atlanta - Tampa, 5 May

and the beginning of the second leg - Chicago, 6 and 7 July.

So, to compare:

Led Zeppelin, soundcheck, "School Days"

5 May 1973 Tampa

6 July 1973 Chicago - voice very poor, not even worth comparing

7 July 1973 Chicago:

as for my ears - no chance that this is Chicago, 6 or 7 July, as Robert's voice on the soundcheck much more flexible and strong, and does not fit into what we hear on Chicago-bootlegs, especially voice' disruption when Robert trying to sing the top notes,

and Tampa [next day, or even day after day of assumed date] is much closer in terms of his voice condition

I agree with D.Lewis that probably it was the very beginning of the tour, when Plant's voice was pretty fresh - that is, on the day of the Atlanta or the day before,

so I give the most possibility that this soundcheck could took place on 3 or 4 May 1973 at the Braves Stadium, Atlanta

interesting to note the very format of the soundcheck - material, not expected on the concert, for 'not to open the cards', to be discreet for 'curious ears' - very looks like

True, but the piece known as "Strawberry Jam" was played almost note for note at the two Chicago shows as a part of the WLL medley, and never again before or after that.

Ledy M., what about this info?? I doubt they would have played this exact jam before the tour in May, and then out of nowhere they remembered to play it at both Chicago shows and then never again. The evidence speaks pretty loud for this. I wish people would quit attributing it to other dates, year after year. I don't buy the Plant's voice agrument, maybe he was sober for the soundcheck and then was wasted for the actual shows and he just didn't sing as well. (His voice is pretty similar and not completely different).

Can anyone post the similarities between the soundcheck jam and the Chicago WLL jam parts?

=True, but the piece known as "Strawberry Jam" was played almost note for note at the two Chicago shows as a part of the WLL medley, and never again before or after that.=

Ledy M., what about this info?? I doubt they would have played this exact jam before the tour in May, and then out of nowhere they remembered to play it at both Chicago shows and then never again. The evidence speaks pretty loud for this. I wish people would quit attributing it to other dates, year after year. I don't buy the Plant's voice agrument, maybe he was sober for the soundcheck and then was wasted for the actual shows and he just didn't sing as well. (His voice is pretty similar and not completely different).

Can anyone post the similarities between the soundcheck jam and the Chicago WLL jam parts?

well, I combined the two versions - "Strawberry Jam" in the so-called "Chicago Soundcheck"[date?] and Chicago 6 july 1973, similar jam as part of the WLL

listen carefully

Can you imagine that this played in one day?

Here it's not note-for-note and faster, this jam they played often and here nothing specific to cling to as the argument,

but condition of his voice - I think, a big argument

Archived