What equipment do you use to play your music on?

joe (Liverpool)

Since my parents started really getiing interested in Hi Fi in the 60s, My Dad always had a decent turntable, even when he bought a sterogram in about 1969 it had a Garrard deck and Celestion Ditton speakers. This has passed on to me When I got my first job in 1974 I bought a seperates system and the turntable was a connoisseur BD2A.I have still got seperates now and I amm still using my Technics SLD2 turntable which I purchased in 1979, I have stuck with Ortofon OM Pro Catridge and stylus since 1984, it's getting difficult to get a stylus for it now, luckily when I was living in Newquay, a friend of mine was closing down his Hi Fi shop, and I got about 10 cartridges for £100.Most of my records are still scratch free, except for the very early ones, Billy J Kramer etc....What kind of system do you use?

Sounds like you have a very nice vintage British made stereo. Great deal on those Ortofons, is that the red cartridge? Kind of sad about the passing of high end stereo stores. But it's all about convenience over sound quality nowadays, so many people just listen on headphones or computer speakers. Those can sound good but there's nothing like filling a big room with concert level Led Zeppelin!

I don't have a record player anymore, I'm using a new Marantz CD player which uses a Cirrus Logic CS4392 D/A converter found on much higher end players. I also have my 1979 Nakamichi BX 300 tape deck for all my '70s and '80s bootleg tapes. I'm using a 1986 McIntosh C30 pre amp, which is nice because it has a five band equalizer and has 8 inputs (plus phono), great for multiple sources, visiting friend's computers, etc. My main amp is a 1978 McIntosh MC2200 which is rated at 200 watts per channel and can easily power any speakers down to 2 ohms. I recently had all the capacitors replaced and now it can push 300 watts before the protection circuits kick in! I have a pair of 1975 ESS Heil AMT 3s, the "Rock Monitor". They are three way speakers with twin 10" woofers, a 5 1/4" "transition woofer" and the famed Heil Air Motion Transformer, a dipole (front and rear firing) tweeter/midrange. These speakers are 93 db efficient so with 200 watts to push them it gets pretty loud without distortion. I have the whole set up in a 19' x 22' room with 8.5' ceilings, I have done a lot of room treatments to get the sound the best I can. Whenever one of my friends or I get a new Zeppelin show we all gather at my house, have a few drinks and BLAST some Zep!

I have learned so much about audio in just the past 5-10 years that I'm starting to do my own repairs and upgrades. Old capacitors wear out. Replacing them is easy and fun in speakers. I learned everything I needed to know at http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php Check it out, it's so fun to geek on audio equipment with like minded folks!

To chef free, I'm impressed, the unit I was taliking about is a Decca SRG797, when my parents died in 2009 my family were all for throwing it away, but I took it and to my amazement it still works. I am impressed with your system here is mine if you are interested;

As I have said I have a Technics turntable, I also use a Kenwood turntable, I have a Technics Cd and Sony Cd, which I use both on various days. In have a Kenwood pro logic surround sound receiver which is extremely powerful. I use a Kenwood double cassette deck which I need to replace but I am having trouble in the UK finding one. The speakers I use are Sansui XP 11 or something like that , they should have been £800 each, but whilst I was working as a barman in Newquay Cornwall I got to Know an American naval man called Bill Minton, and he got me a pair and only charged me £100, we became good drinking friends but he hated my girlfriend, they are amazing they have six speakers in each unit including a 17 and a half inch woofer, and they weigh 39Kgs each. That was in 1986 and they work just as well now as they did then, I also use 3 sony speakers for the surround sound. My wife and daughters hate the system and all my album collection because it takes up so much room, mainly the vinyl collection (548 vinyl albums).The whole thing takes up about twelve feet of wall and floor space in our living room, still not to worry, I have our TV, Video and DVD all plugged into the system so DVDs sound like being there, all my family think I am a sad bastard and that I live in the past, they are trying to persuade me to get one of these tiny systems, but I have nothing to do with it.

Samsung Lap top

Denon Amp

Mission Floor Standing Speakers

I only live in a small cottage so anything more powerful will upset the sheep.

Would love to get a good record deck as I still have all my vinyl so whilst I search for a good Technics my lap top will suffice

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got around to seeing this one, nice one Jahfin, up to your usual sarcastic standard I see..It is noticed that your choice of equipment (and I do believe that it's yours) is exactly the same as your opinions, absolutely fucking crap !!!!!!!!!!!!!!. It looks like a record obliterator to me.

392396_4094992459050_1224309122_n.jpg

That is a bit hard for me to believe knowing how into music you are. My guess is you have the latest state of the art, finest CD player and top notch reciever's such as JVC or SONY just to name a couple. Not starting trouble, just wondering if you are kidding?

That is a bit hard for me to believe knowing how into music you are. My guess is you have the latest state of the art, finest CD player and top notch reciever's such as JVC or SONY just to name a couple. Not starting trouble, just wondering if you are kidding?

This is my first turntable. I haven't plugged it in years so I have no idea if it even works. As for my home stereo, for now it is my Mac. I have a total set up as far as a stereo goes but it's far from state of the art. I just need a new receiver and turntable.

This is my first turntable. I haven't plugged it in years so I have no idea if it even works. As for my home stereo, for now it is my Mac. I have a total set up as far as a stereo goes but it's far from state of the art. I just need a new receiver and turntable.

I have a Yamaha reciever hooked up to a Samsung 40" flatscreen, and Samsung DVD?VCR player/recorder and Direct TV system and Wii system in living room. I have two Sony speakers but have two extra brand new in the box that I wish to hook upstairs to my bedroom flatscreen, but I need to get another reciever for up there. Maybe i will go used on Craigslist. It all kicks ass but I do have neighbors to worry about. that is why I do not have a new guitar amp yet. A second reciever is a must.

My 17 year-old son has been working at Outback Steak House since around December, and he has an amount of disposable income.

He bought, at various times, a pair of Orion 12" subs, a sub box, and most recently, a rather powerful amp to drive them.

Since his car is still being repaired, he decided to install it all in my '98 Yukon.

The Orions were used, and one was about shot, so he ordered a new pair of 12" Kicker Comps, which came in today and he has already installed.

So my Yukon has a new boom to it.

Now I feel obliged to go ahead and update the front end of the "system", which is a stock premium stereo (at least as "premium" as they went back in '98, which is not very).

So I figure one of those $80 or $90 Pioneer units they sell at Wal Mart, and some decent 6x9s to replace the stock crap in the doors.

I figure for less than $200 I can be pretty much set.

Point being, I listen to music the most while driving.

Point being, I listen to music the most while driving.

Same here, which is why I've invested more money in recent years into my car stereo. Still, it's far from state of the art and even includes a cassette deck. When I originally purchased it I wanted a cassette deck since I have so many cassettes. Come to find out, I rarely used the cassette deck since I have quite a few CD's to choose from as well as XM/Sirius radio. That changed when I got an iPod a few years ago and started using one of those cassette adaptors to listen to it. I knew that cassette deck would come in handy eventually.

The receiver is a Pioneer KEH-P2030:

202778283.jpg