Bootleg Impression

SpookyE

Ahhh, there's nothing like a good well meaning debate.

Totally agree with the concept that the real evil is the pirating of official releases.

As the greatest live band that ever existed they should have released more official live material to keep the bootleggers at bay. Unfortunately, no matter which way you look at this discussion someone made money at some stage that had no right to.

Ahhh, there's nothing like a good well meaning debate.

Totally agree with the concept that the real evil is the pirating of official releases.

As the greatest live band that ever existed they should have released more official live material to keep the bootleggers at bay. Unfortunately, no matter which way you look at this discussion someone made money at some stage that had no right to.

I apologize for any assholery on my part.

Hears hoping that we'll see some more live material (official) that we can put our money towards in the next couple of years! :)

(I can't imagine the bootleggers selling material will last much longer, thankfully.)

Hi,

Interesting debate, my view is that if the band released it I would buy it, if they don't release it and I want it I have to look elsewhere, I haven't actually bought many bootlegs in recent years, as you can find most to download, I like physical CDs,but as someone suggested I can burn the downloads to disc.

Problem is that most downloads originate from CDs that someone presumably paid for and then uploaded (I am grateful that they have), so I don't think there will ever be a real end to bootleggers making money and if that happens there will be less to download.

In truth there can't be a huge amount of unreleased stuff still out there, but who knows.

Andy

I apologize for any assholery on my part.

Hears hoping that we'll see some more live material (official) that we can put our money towards in the next couple of years! :)

(I can't imagine the bootleggers selling material will last much longer, thankfully.)

All good healthy stuff LOL, i didn't shed too many tears and my ego will recover :tears:

I am also hoping there is an official release of some material that's hiding in a vault somewhere. Let's see what Jimmy's re-master next year comes up with.

I think I'm my own worst enemy actually. I've just seen a bootleg release titled The Ultimate Studio Session 1968 - 1972 .... Juicy!! Goddam me and my ethics!

All good healthy stuff LOL, i didn't shed too many tears and my ego will recover :tears:

I am also hoping there is an official release of some material that's hiding in a vault somewhere. Let's see what Jimmy's re-master next year comes up with.

I think I'm my own worst enemy actually. I've just seen a bootleg release titled The Ultimate Studio Session 1968 - 1972 .... Juicy!! Goddam me and my ethics!

Hahaha.

Well, if the fact that Jimmy posted some PG demos on his website is any indication, hopefully we'll see similar stuff included in the remastered sets. :)

• 2 months later...

post-24312-0-25751000-1357527032_thumb.jHi all,

I have a copy of the Zeppelin 1971 Live at the BBC in yellow vinyl. The copy is opened but still with original wrapper still covering. Does anyone have info on this album? Is it rare?

Thanks for any info.

That looks like the Matt Records release of the much-booted April 1, 1971 Paris Theatre show. The difference with this release(besides the yellow vinyl) is that they add a 1969-era Dazed and Confused at the end on Side 4.

I don't know how rare it is but I've seen copies for anywhere from $70-120.

• 2 months later...

My first bootlegs were picked up around 1987. Luckily, I got off to a good start, with vinyl versions of the '71 BBC material and the 1969 Winterland shows. My next one was the '69 Fillmore West soundboard, which sent me off on a spree where I picked up almost every release I could find. I loved the artwork and hearing songs live for the first time, and amassed a pretty decent collection of several dozen titles. Unfortunately, I ended up selling most of them for beer money around 1990. I really regret that as they so rarely show up in the used market.

When CD bootlegs started appearing in 1992 or so, I went hog wild and over the next eight years, spend thousands of dollars on Silver Rarities, Immigrant, and other releases of the day. I ended up with over a hundred different titles before stopping around 1999, when most of the releases that were appearing were on CD-R with photocopied artwork. I burned out for a few years, but I'm back to trying to fill in the blanks with what is now freely available on the 'net. I can't believe that I used to drop $50 to $100 on a single title. Thankfully, I still have all of the CDs, though I need to do an inventory to see what I have and if I need to rip those that I haven't downloaded to a lossless format.

For a while from 1996-2000, I ran a website that tried to collate the information from Rey's book, the Hot Wacks guides, Live! Music Review, and other sources in an online format. I was a bit ahead of the curve there, but I stopped maintaining the site when I burned out in 2000. I certainly don't miss the days of lugging a pile of paper to a CD show or bootleg store trying to figure out which releases were worth the money.

Archived