The Ryder Cup 2012

chillumpuffer

As I have mentioned before on these pages I am a keen golfer. I am not a major watcher on TV of the sport ( mainly due to not subscribing to Murdoch TV) but thanks to the net, Mrs CP and I enjoyed what was one of the comebacks in the history of the Ryder Cup. It was fantastic.

Given no hope, especially by the US media and by a certain article written on Saturday after the US stormed to a 10-6 lead by Gene Wojciechowski of ESPN, the European team dug deep and came away with a remarkable 14 1/2 to 13 1/2 win

Even Wojciechowski's Wikipedia page took some punishment and his page was sabotaged with the line: "He is best known for his shocking and stupid article written the day before a brilliant European comeback in the Ryder Cup 2012. It was brash incoherent and utterly regardless of an understanding for sport."

Here is the said report:

MEDINAH, Ill. -- For those who think this Ryder Cup is finished, think again. Team Europe can still win if the following five things happen Sunday:

1. Keegan Bradley is abducted.

2. Team USA captain Davis Love III inserts Cup spectators Michael Jordan, President George W. Bush, Amy Mickelson and the Rev. Jesse Jackson into the singles lineup.

3. Lee Westwood: U.S. citizen.

pga_g_poulter11_300.jpg

BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI/AFP/GettyImagesTalk about intense. Ian Poulter's blazing back-nine effort kept Europe's slim hopes alive for retaining the Ryder Cup. Very slim hopes.

4. Marty McFly shows Team Europe captain Jose Maria Olazabal how to go back in time. Last Friday morning will do.

5. Team Europe wins eight of the remaining 12 matches to retain the cup.

Never mind. It's over. Olazabal can click off the walkie-talkie and take the IFB out of his ear. Time for the Europeans to fire up the private jets and head back home to Florida.

So to sum up then :hysterical::cheer::banana:

Congratulations to the European team!

Nice comeback, but Gene Whatanidiotski aside, not entirely a shock. The Americans dominated when I was young, but it seems the Europeans have dominated for the last 20 years.

I agree with you there man but how it is/was perceived over here is that it was just plain arrogance on the part of the US. The US spectators were a total and utter disgrace. I enjoy the sport, I enjoy seeing any one smack a 6 iron within 3 foot of the flag from 180 yds be it US or Canadian or an Aussie.But to hear laughter when the ball goes in the water (especially the 17th when the fans changed their usual scream of "Get in the hole" to Get in the water") or bunker or God forbid a misstimed drive was a sad sound to hear. Bubba Watson getting the crowd to cheer like crazy as he was teeing off was almost comical. Jack Nicklaus' wife admitted she was utterly ashamed.

It seemed to us that the US fans were more than happy to chant USA USA USA at the scent of a point or a hole but come the climax they were nowhere to be heard just when the American team needed it most.

The first 2 days the Americans played quite beautifully especially big Phil and they rightly deserved their lead but as we all know it's a 3 day team game and if you take your eye off the ball or assume the contest is won, then more fool you.

Chillumpuffer, I agree with you on that point.

Nothing against Jack Nicklaus, who seems the epitome of class, but as a group, golf spectators seem to be boorish, unpleasant people. I cannot stand those idiots who ceaselessly shout 'You da man!' I wish they would vaporize on the spot.

They are a major reason why I stopped watching golf a long time ago. The Ryder Cup crowds with the nationalistic yahoos are the worst.

........ but as a group, golf spectators seem to be boorish, unpleasant people. I cannot stand those idiots who ceaselessly shout 'You da man!' I wish they would vaporize on the spot.

They are a major reason why I stopped watching golf a long time ago. The Ryder Cup crowds with the nationalistic yahoos are the worst.

Spot on buddy and you have to include our side too?

Yeah, the goofballs in the crowd yelling "Get in the hole", "You da man" and "Bobba Booey" etc are kinda goofy but once you get passed that, wow!, what a display the Europeans and Americans put on within the ropes this past weekend. I had the flu and was couch bound and ended up watching every tee-off from Friday morn to Sunday night. I am pretty sure I witnessed possibly the most exciting and spectacular golf event ever and maybe even one of the greatest sporting events ever...... I liked Ian Poulter before but that man was a giant. I won't be surprised if he or Justin Rose win a major in the next two years.

Yeah, the goofballs in the crowd yelling "Get in the hole", "You da man" and "Bobba Booey" etc are kinda goofy but once you get passed that, wow!, what a display the Europeans and Americans put on within the ropes this past weekend. I had the flu and was couch bound and ended up watching every tee-off from Friday morn to Sunday night. I am pretty sure I witnessed possibly the most exciting and spectacular golf event ever and maybe even one of the greatest sporting events ever...... I liked Ian Poulter before but that man was a giant. I won't be surprised if he or Justin Rose win a major in the next two years.

Yeah, it's a shame that the "16th at The Phoenix mentality" has become so such a part of the game these days but like you, I thought the golf itself was fantastic .

Fishhead wrote: "You da man" and "Bobba Booey" etc are kinda goofy but once you get passed that"

I yelled "Bobba Booey" to a reporter last week as I walked by on the sidewalk. It's a secret language - my fellow Howard junkies will know the language!

Edited by Charles J. White

The greatest, most memorable golf I've seen were the 1977 British Open and the 1986 Masters.

It's no coincidence they both involved the Golden Bear.

Both classics . I'd probably go for the 86 Masters just because at the time, Jack was 46 and thought to be finished.

Fishhead wrote: "You da man" and "Bobba Booey" etc are kinda goofy but once you get passed that"

I yelled "Bobba Booey" to a reporter last week as I walked by on the sidewalk. It's a secret language - my fellow Howard junkies will know the language!

I'm quite familiar with Howard Stern, Gary, Ralph, Robin, Beetlejuice (RIP), Jackie (what ever happened to ya), Stutterin John (Leno?) etc etc....I like em too. However, when I'm watching golf and hear it 5 times during a match it gets a little old. If people are gonna yell, which is their right, it be great if it was a little more original and funny too. And Charles, it really ain;t much of a secret anymore dude.....

I can und

erstand people playing golf, but watching it on television NO. Get a life .

I always watch the majors as well as both the Ryder and Presidents Cups because the standard of competition and the level of play are much higher than regular PGA or European Tour events. Mind you, a person would have to play a round or two a year to appreciate the quality of the shot making these guy's can pull out of their hat's.

Do you play a fair bit of golf yourself ?

I do. I have just had a good knock this morning. Play off 14. Last year played in Portugal and it was stunning. Our local course is very tough but enjoyable. What do other fans play off? Looks a cracker there CJW? But doesn't look like links courses we get in the UK that's for sure