Felix Baumgartner breaks sky diving speed & altitude records

The Rover

Daredevil skydiver Felix Baumgartner breaks records

14 October 2012

Austrian Felix Baumgartner has broken the record for the highest ever skydive by jumping out of a balloon 128,100ft (24.26 miles, 39km) above New Mexico.

The 43-year-old also became the first person to fall faster than the speed of sound, reaching a top speed of 833.9mph (1,342km/h) - Mach 1.24.

Video cameras relayed the moment Baumgartner stepped from his balloon capsule to begin the nine-minute fall to Earth.

4:20 freefall

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19943194

Definitely badass.

The final speed ended up being about 100 mph faster than predicted.

Funny thing I kept thinking about was that once that balloon took off, there was no turning back.

The only way back to earth then was to jump.

I remember as a kid getting scared on a carnival ride and they stopped to let me off.

No such thing in this case, lulz.

Yeah, I watched it live. Seemed like nothing more than a very expensive, over-elaborate commercial/publicity stunt for the energy-drink Red Bull to me...

Just get Sebastian Vettel to advertise it!

Nah, I'm kidding, it was great. Genuinely heart-stopping when he started to spin

How does one return to a "normal" routine life after an experience like this? Would a hamburger taste better or worse than before? And how do friends & relatives relate to him now? I'm sure all famous people, especially the overnight sensations, have to deal with a new reality but this is such a unique, beyond epic situation. It blows my mind.

Archived