The Wanton Song

jayjay96

I did not watch the video, it does not look like something that would interest me, but "The Wanton Song" is not talked about as much as some others in the forums. I love it, the drumming is sooo good.

I did not watch the video, it does not look like something that would interest me, but "The Wanton Song" is not talked about as much as some others in the forums. I love it, the drumming is sooo good.

I'll talk about it all you want, because it has to be one of the best songs on one of the best albums ever! The song sounds so easy and simple, but there's lots of subtle little shifts that make it so great

And I'm sure I've heard a bunch of so-called 'nu metal' bands ripping off the beat, riff, and rhythm. You're right, the drumming's awesome on it. Lot of power in this song

The song sounds so easy and simple, but there's lots of subtle little shifts that make it so great

Just goes to show, sometimes simple can be great. But it is the "subtle shifts" (I like this) that stand out to me.

Led Zeppelin has many songs that one could describe as 'deceptively complex'...songs that outwardly and at first listen sound simple and easy to play, but actually are more complex than people realize. Songs like "Out on the Tiles" and "Black Dog" and "Four Sticks".

"The Wanton Song" is another great example of this. It has always been a favourite of mine, and it is especially well-placed on the PG album. After the hard-hitting Sides 1 & 2, Side 3 is more experimental and tranquil. By Side 4 you're ready to rock some more and "Night Flight" and "Wanton Song" provide a nice 1-2 punch of hardrock crunch.

It has a nice stomping groove, and a jazzy slinky feel at times...and the mix of different tones Jimmy uses gives it colour. And the final wail at the end by Plant is out of this world.

Just goes to show, sometimes simple can be great. But it is the "subtle shifts" (I like this) that stand out to me.
Yeah, you know the parts I mean. I hope so, anyway

And the song as a whole seems to sound so good, the production of it, so strong. It doesn't sound 30+ years old. The drums do sound superb on the whole 'Physical Graffiti' album, though!

A bit like 'Immigrant Song', but heavier, jazzier, and funkier. Bonzo had a real groove going on

Always have loved this song! When Page/Plant opened with it, I was blown away.... The studio track is fantastic, as was said earlier - it's what Bonzo doesn't do that makes the beat so awesome, plus adding a little variation from time to time. I always loved the way Jimmy would strum the guitar and turn up the volume to give that emphasis to the riff, especially the final time he does it during the song. The whole jam just goes up a notch at that point!!!

Strider, you're right, Plant's wail at the end is just guttural....:yesnod:

Archived