Led Zeppelin catalogue now available. Mastered For iTunes.

sam_webmaster

The "Mastered for iTunes" thing seems weird to me - there's very little information about the process, aside from access to the tools used for optimization.

I'm interested in comparing a few songs to the remasters (1990s and 2007) to see if there's any marked difference.

EDIT: I purchased "Ten Years Gone" and have compared the iTunes release with the 1994 remaster and the version which was hosted on jimmypage.com - the new iTunes version is lower in volume than the old remaster, and also to the mp3 from Jimmy's website. It also seems to have a bit more treble than the other masterings, which sound (at least to my ears) muddy in comparison.

EDIT #2: Wow...this might not be an entirely new mastering, so to speak, but whatever they've done has really brought a clarity to Jimmy's guitar (at least in this song) that no other version has ever been able to capture.

Any other reviews?!

Really interesting...

Some opinions (including my own) have been expressed here. It seems most of that discussion was taken up with the details of what "Mastered for iTunes" means, though, and people complaining about the lossy nature of files.

Other observations thus far: The channels of Led Zeppelin have been reversed to their LP configuration; and the early fades on the Marino CDs appear to have been done away with.

Technically, it's not mp3 - it's m4a/aac, which is a better form of lossy and less antiquated than mp3.

If the sales of Celebration Day via HDtracks were well enough, I think it's safe to say we'll see these released in hi-res flac versions in the coming year!

Thanks for clarifying.

Don't get me wrong - they're still lossy. It's just nice to hear some of the work that's been done, and that less audiophile-inclined listeners will be able to have a similar quality experience now.

The question, of course, is whether people have already purchased all the Led Zeppelin they need off iTunes.

I uploaded the CDs onto my computer then downloaded them onto my iPod. I wonder if they worth buying again on iTunes?

It's a very good question! Try listening to the samples - with headphones - and see how they sound to you. :)

You could also wait until the remasters are released on CD, instead of buying lossy files now.

Technically, it's not mp3 - it's m4a/aac, which is a better form of lossy and less antiquated than mp3.

If the sales of Celebration Day via HDtracks were well enough, I think it's safe to say we'll see these released in hi-res flac versions in the coming year!

I'll wait until Pono comes out.

That's all blah-blah woof-woof at this point - and if it's lossy, then it won't matter anyway.

Says you.

Mp3's and most other formats except flac are inferior anyway and the Pono format will be more akin to flac.

We shall see.

Says you.

It's media hype - it's the same thing as when Apple says product X will revolutionize technology as we know it. Only time will tell - and the desire people have, as some have already mentioned, to re-purchase their music will definitely play into whether or not it's a success or a failure.

I still wish it was clear if these are worth getting after putting 2008 NON SHM box into itunes as I have...Alll the arguments about lossyness do not matter to me as I have neither a home stereo or access to records...working 2 jobs- the car and computer are it for me. Again I am not sure where everyone is from Led zeppelin cd's and LP's are not carried in any store I have been to in years around hear...Hartford/NY area. I do not know one person with a home stereo anymore except 1 set of noisy neighbors I had a while back. The samples on itunes did sound slightly clearer than my imported into i tunes 08 box but was it signifacantly better...not sure.

I'll answer my own posts in comparing imported itunes from 08 mini lp cd box and "remastered" ones I found slight differences but not 100 dollars worth...I am only addressing this for people that do use i tunes I realize its "lossy crap" to people that have expensive systems...like i said its only car and computer for me...I do think the 08 box sounds better than the 94 one even tho Rhino insists the musical contents are exactly the same...with my not very discriminating listening- I can hear a difference beyond volume.

I have been listening to the samples on I Tunes and comparing to the 40th Anniversary Japanese SHM CD set. To my ears there is no real discernable difference, so I will continue to enjoy my discs and vinyl while awaiting the releases Jimmy has upcoming. Then the proof will be in the proverbial pudding!

I'll answer my own posts in comparing imported itunes from 08 mini lp cd box and "remastered" ones I found slight differences but not 100 dollars worth...I am only addressing this for people that do use i tunes I realize its "lossy crap" to people that have expensive systems...like i said its only car and computer for me...I do think the 08 box sounds better than the 94 one even tho Rhino insists the musical contents are exactly the same...with my not very discriminating listening- I can hear a difference beyond volume.

Did you purchase any of the songs? Just wondering, because most of the people commenting online appear to have only listened to the samples, which do not properly reflect the overall sound quality of the full downloads.

I have been listening to the samples on I Tunes and comparing to the 40th Anniversary Japanese SHM CD set. To my ears there is no real discernable difference, so I will continue to enjoy my discs and vinyl while awaiting the releases Jimmy has upcoming. Then the proof will be in the proverbial pudding!

*Cough*Seeabove*Cough*

I purchased the Battle of Evermore and Rock and Roll

I've purchased "Stairway" and "When the Levee Breaks." I didn't notice as much of an improvement - aside from the accurate stereo separation in the first song - with those two, as I did with Physical Graffiti, which I purchased in full and have listened to several times.

Wife got me Nanopod for Xmas so i dont have to lug cd's around everywhere i go...To me the difference is there but not worth 100 bucks-my ears are not that discriminating...Ill wait til I see what Jimmy comes up with next year...I could easily see me spending $100 and then the Page cd's and Page "remasters for itunes" come out in 12 months and after having had the collection on vinyl, cassette, and cd 4X counting the old boxes 1 and 2 i think I'd better wait...like I said I am not an audiophile and others will feel differently, I am sure. I am technolgically pretty low end anyway...I just got first dvd/blu ray player a year ago and didnt have a tv for years til 2nd marriage....I actually never saw MTV when it showed music....I am guessing it was more than the garbage thats on it now...or not..

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anyone who downloaded the whole collection and how are they on ipod/computer. I already know high end audiophiles consider itunes garbage so no need to go there. I mean compared to uploading the non SHM 07 box into itunes are they worth 100 bux?

Is there anyone who downloaded the whole collection and how are they on ipod/computer. I already know high end audiophiles consider itunes garbage so no need to go there. I mean compared to uploading the non SHM 07 box into itunes are they worth 100 bux?

Based on what I've heard - the MfiT versions are indeed worth the expense. If you're referring to the Definitive Collection, or whatever it's called on iTunes, I'm pretty sure that's the old mastering - so, no, in that case.

Btw: "Hot Dog" sounds like a completely different (and much better) rockabilly song. :|

Archived