04. Sister Disco

05. Music Must Change

06. Trick Of The Light

07. Guitar And Pen

08. Love Is Coming Down

09. Who Are You

10. No Road Romance

11. Empy Glass

Great album with awesome songs like Trick of the Light,The Music Must Change,905 and of course Who Are You. A close second is Quadrophenia and Who's Next

Who_Are_You_album_cover.JPG

For many years, Who's Next just pipped Quadrophenia for me. However, the wisdom of age has shown me that Townshend's true masterpiece is in fact Quadrophenia, which is simply flawless from start to finish, whereas Who's Next is weakened by My Wife and Going Mobile. It will forever be one of life's great mysteries as to why he jettisoned Pure & Easy for those two lame dogs.

It's a tragedy that The Who's career took such a precipitous nosedive after Quadrophenia, much in the same way as LZ's after Presence.

^ Ady, have you heard the full set of demos which accompanied the director's cut of Quad last year? Much better than the limited selection that have been doing the rounds for years. They are quite stunning, and just go to show what a genius Pete is, to create all that stuff almost fully-formed in a little home studio.

And it was genius, IMO - as opposed to megalomania, in the case of say Roger Waters, who created incoherent rubbish like The Wall & Pros & Cons, and forced the band to choose between them. Talk about the lesser of two evils...jeez...

^ Ady, have you heard the full set of demos which accompanied the director's cut of Quad last year? Much better than the limited selection that have been doing the rounds for years. They are quite stunning, and just go to show what a genius Pete is, to create all that stuff almost fully-formed in a little home studio.

No, my copy of "Quadrophenia" is the first DVD release from 1999 which is just a VHS - DVD transfer and bugger all in the way of extras.

I should upgrade really. I'll look into it after Christmas, cheers.

*edit*

Oh, were you talking about a CD release? My CD is ancient, too!

Is this what you're talking about?

No, I meant the box set of the audio. It's torrented all over the place, costs a fortune to buy.

Awesome accompanying book too, it's all scanned in the torrent I found.

Yeah, I had a look and it's £99.

I realised you were talking about and edited my post above.

1. Who's Next (to Old Shep: Zounds! My Wife and Going Mobile are two of my favourites from this album! Pure and Easy should have replaced Love Ain't for Keeping)

2. Live at Leeds

3. The Who Sell Out

4. The Kids Are Alright

5. Quadrophenia

I'm surprised I'm the only one who has mentioned a pre-Tommy album. Is there no love among Who fans here for the Mod-era Who?

And it was genius, IMO - as opposed to megalomania, in the case of say Roger Waters, who created incoherent rubbish like The Wall & Pros & Cons, and forced the band to choose between them. Talk about the lesser of two evils...jeez...

+ 1 BILLION!

You deserve a beer for that...here: :beer:

You pretty much expressed my sentiments exactly...I've long felt Pink Floyd one of the more overrated bands of the 70s. They slowly got worse and worse post-1973. For me, "Animals", "The Wall", and "Final Cut" are nigh unlistenable.

The Who also had their problems post-'73(mostly Moonie's state of mind/health), but the Who was still miles above Pink Floyd as a live act.

Unless you're the type of anorak who goes to concerts to see cartoons and inflatable pigs and doesn't care if the actual "music" is any good or delivered with any recognizable feeling or passion.

Hands down "The Who Sell Out". Not only my favorite Who album but my favorite concept album.

Not really a studio production though. I love the Who. For me its a tie between Who's Next and Quadrophenia. Tommy is great and so is the Who by Numbers. Quadrophenia may be one of the best damn albums ever. In their prime to me they are the second best band of all time second only to Zeppelin. I have to give them the edge over Pink Floyd and the Stones. Must.

Not really a studio production though. I love the Who. For me its a tie between Who's Next and Quadrophenia. Tommy is great and so is the Who by Numbers. Quadrophenia may be one of the best damn albums ever. In their prime to me they are the second best band of all time second only to Zeppelin. I have to give them the edge over Pink Floyd and the Stones. Must.

It's totally & nothing but a studio production. There's not a song recorded live on it & for that time had numerous overdubs on it. "Sgt Pepper" & "Pet Sounds" are probably the only albums of that time by a band to have more studio tinkering outside of a Phil Spector production. "Sunrise" is the only sparse song on the album & even that is has overdubs, vocal effects, etc. "Armenia City In The Sky" & "I Can See For Miles" have everything but the kitchen sink thrown in. Regardless, "Who By Numbers" would be my second favorite.

Archived