I Can't Quit You Baby vs. You Shook Me

You Shook Me

Why? Because every member had a solo in that song: Plant's harmonica wailing, Jones' keyboard work, and Jimmy and Bonham killing it together toward the end - outstanding track.

• 2 weeks later...

ICQYB just for Bonzo footwork on the studio version

I love them both so much but what you said about Bonzo's trademark footwork there I agree with. I alway's point it out to people when listening to it. Drummers mainly. It's just awesomness.

You Shook Me

Why? Because every member had a solo in that song: Plant's harmonica wailing, Jones' keyboard work, and Jimmy and Bonham killing it together toward the end - outstanding track.

Mmmm, I love it. I think Plant was a very good harmonica player. He seems to moan, make 'Aghh' noises through the harmonica in his solo bit?

I could be wrong as it might just be overdubs or just moaning into the mic between breathes. It always captures me intensly that bit though. :)

As a few others said, ICQYB from 1970 Albert Hall is phenomenal. One of my very favorite Zep performances.

Ok Sathington Willoughby, this is gonna be my next listen. :)

I love them both so much but what you said about Bonzo's trademark footwork there I agree with. I alway's point it out to people when listening to it. Drummers mainly. It's just awesomness.

Mmmm, I love it. I think Plant was a very good harmonica player. He seems to moan, make 'Aghh' noises through the harmonica in his solo bit?

I could be wrong as it might just be overdubs or just moaning into the mic between breathes. It always captures me intensly that bit though. :)

Ok Sathington Willoughby, this is gonna be my next listen. :)

It's a monster man, all four of them are at the top of their game!

It's a monster man, all four of them are at the top of their game!

I've got so caught up in listening to the 'Copenhagen Warm-Ups' which I've got another hour to go I will have to listen to it tomorrow as I'm almost falling into a happy dream like state atm.

Promise I'll listen to it though! :)

Ok, I just listened to ICQYB from 1970 Albert Hall and now I understand what everyone's saying about it. It's just so tight and it sounds fantastic.The energy is through the roof. Gonna watch the whole concert very soon. :stereo:

I prefer I Can't Quit You over You Shook Me.

I'll always remember the first time I heard ICCYB live - In the '70's I was listening to the 'King Biscuit Flower Hour' on the radio, and they were playing a Yes concert. At the end, with no fanfare, they played the BBC version of ICCYB. It was so great, we were flying around the house, trying to pop in a tape and record it, this was way before I'd gotten the bootleg LP. Loved the live versions ever since.

One other thing - When you compare You Shook Me from the Olympia vs. the one from Texas Pop, Texas wins. Way better solo from Jimmy on that one, IMO. Both songs are killer on the studio versions, though.

I Can't Quit You Baby because of the great Telecaster lead solo (with slap-back echo) and Bonzo's right foot action on the bass drum. (Mind you it's with the smaller 22" in bass drum vs the 26" bass drum he would get with the maple Ludwig kit)

I was listening to satellite radio a few months back, while working at a job and the, deep cuts station, played i can't quit you, twice in two weeks. It sounded so good, had me wondering if it was a remastered for iTunes version, or the digital signal of satellite radio.

Back in the 80s though, when I still participated in fm radio, I always thought Kashmir sounded so good too. The effect on the drums and the horn section sounded clearer to me, than vinyl or original cd...and wondered if radio stations could tweek their transmissions.

Archived