Forbes: What Robert Plant Can Teach Leaders

dimestoreguru

Yeah, the "clw feud" (which was over until she started it agian for no reason) is a different thing.

As for the argument with Matjaz, I guess you should be more attentive while reading posts because that accusation that you threw at me was totally incorrect.

It was Matjaz who attacked me first:

"What have we learned? Geezer is pissed on people that are making a lot of money differently then he imagines? I guess he is just not high enough to decide the way some one should be making it for him!"

And you're telling me I have no right to respond to him with "Are you on drugs? I think you are" after this?

Okay, let's get back to the topic.

In short, I think this article is nonsense.

"Plant is touring, quietly and with little fanfare, at the same time that the Stones continue to plunder consumers by attempting to charge over $600 for a premium ticket. It might seem insulting enough that the Stones come by for one last mugging of their fans; but even as septuagenarians, their anniversary tour theme, “50 and Counting” implies that they’re not done taking your loot yet, and will be back in a wheelchair next time if need be."

This paragraph is misleading at best.

And also, can someone explain to me what this means?

"What makes Plant so rare? As Soni notes, “He’s passed up several Led Zeppelin reunion tours over the years—and the latest one could be the first billion-dollar tour ever. But he’s walked away from his share of that and from legions of adoring fans, because he wants to do something that’s more authentic to the person he is today. So instead of playing 100,000-seat arenas, he now tours 5,000-seat venues. He’s taking the moment and the music over the promise of more fame and fortune.”"

I also disagree. The prices are very high but they always have the $85 tickets.

I wanted to go and see The Rolling Stones in London, the cheapest seats (which are all the way up at the top of the venue, with an obscured view and a health warning) were equal to $149 a seat. Didn't bother.

Robert Plant was in the greatest, most popular band of the 70's..

He was with the same 3 other guys for 12 years. A very tight knight closed shop..

He can't ever play with those 3 guys again ... So he's moved on..

I think that out of loyalty to those other 3 guys (or definitely to at least John Bonham), he wants go about his solo career different by doing as many projects as he can ..

Why else would he break up a band as good as the Now And Zen lineup or Strange Sensations? ...

He wouldn't even settle on a full time drummer until his 3rd solo album.

He didn't play Led Zeppelin songs in concert till 1987.

His solo career has been very successful... and anyone who is saying it isn't successful is crazy.

But, he is comparatively flying under the radar to where he could be if he reunited with Page and Jones... and I think that's great.

He has said numerous times he wouldn't want to do with Zeppelin what the Stones are doing..

He likes to keep thinks fresh and shake it up every couple of years.

But again that doesn't mean The Rolling Stones are wrong either.

I meant the "cheaper" seats. $600 is ridiculous even if Zeppelin reunited.

But Zep wouldn't do that. The price of the O2 concert was 125 pounds.

I wanted to go and see The Rolling Stones in London, the cheapest seats (which are all the way up at the top of the venue, with an obscured view and a health warning) were equal to $149 a seat. Didn't bother.

They revised their strategy for their 2013 tour and added $85 seats.

Price range for their Hyde Park concerts: £95.00 - £199.00

IMO, Mr.Plant is mediocre, at best, without Zeppelin. He is going out of his way to convince everyone that he has moved on since the Zeppelin years. The others, Page, Jones, (and Jason) while working on other projects do not demonstrate the resistance he does when queried. Also, Plant cajoled that he is free in 2014. After making us wait for so long with his nonsense projects (and I saw the Band of Joy at the Beacon, and was disappointed, esp. when he started singing Zep material) does he really think he is the most pivotal and talented member of that group!! Page playing No Quarter on Celebration Day was extraordinary.

Yes....I thank you for agreeing, I guess what I am trying to say is even if Plant 's voice were better (if that were possible) doing another project(s), Zeppelin is so intense that he could never really overcome that reality. He (and the others) will never be able to accomplish this. All this talk about different paths and influences....Zeppelin WAS a different path and he helped create it. It's simply is not over yet. It s like he s trying to run away from it. Back in the day, he was naive and young, I think now that he looks back, he s sort of amazed himself. If he would just do what the others are doing and bring the maturity and perfection back to a possible reunion, it might work. Does this make sense?

I also would like to respond to the author of this article. I live in one of the areas devasted by Hurricaine Sandy, and I thank the Rolling Stones, the Who, Roger Waters, Billy Joel and many, many others who performed at the Concert for Sandy Relief. I personally do not care about their ages, or whatever drives their egos, etc. They were there in time of need and that is enough for me. IMO, rock n roll is about being what you are and screaming it as loud as you can. Don t hold back. The younger people loved it in the audience. I was there and blown away!!

Yes....I thank you for agreeing, I guess what I am trying to say is even if Plant 's voice were better (if that were possible) doing another project(s), Zeppelin is so intense that he could never really overcome that reality. He (and the others) will never be able to accomplish this. All this talk about different paths and influences....Zeppelin WAS a different path and he helped create it. It's simply is not over yet. It s like he s trying to run away from it. Back in the day, he was naive and young, I think now that he looks back, he s sort of amazed himself. If he would just do what the others are doing and bring the maturity and perfection back to a possible reunion, it might work. Does this make sense?

I think it has always been more about songwriting than voice...

BULLSHIT! The only reason Rob is not charging $600 a ticket is because the crowd size would shrink to the point that he would not be able to bring the band/sound/stage people with him if it got any smaller.

The reason the Rolling Stones can charge between $100 and $600 a ticket is because the required critical mass of fans show up and put the money down which lets the band earn a certain lifestyle. Shit on the Stones for how they sound or play live, or record little interesting songs, but don't shit on them because they can earn money.

Love it,this part is so true:

Plant is touring, quietly and with little fanfare, at the same time that the Stones continue to plunder consumers by attempting to charge over $600 for a premium ticket. It might seem insulting enough that the Stones come by for one last mugging of their fans; but even as septuagenarians, their anniversary tour theme, “50 and Counting” implies that they’re not done taking your loot yet, and will be back in a wheelchair next time if need be.

BULLSHIT! The only reason Rob is not charging $600 a ticket is because the crowd size would shrink to the point that he would not be able to bring the band/sound/stage people with him if it got any smaller.

The reason the Rolling Stones can charge between $100 and $600 a ticket is because the required critical mass of fans show up and put the money down which lets the band earn a certain lifestyle. Shit on the Stones for how they sound or play live, or record little interesting songs, but don't shit on them because they can earn money.

If I understand you correctly, you're stating that Robert Plant has evolved into a niche artist. I hadn't thought of it this way before but I think you're right.

For people to even compare Robert to the Rolling Stones in a live setting is silly. The Stones are the big time - stadium, arena's, and outdoor festivals (sheds). Plant is playing clubs and theaters because that is the only size of crowd that would bother to show up for what he is offering. A "niche" artist is just hip way of saying can't pull in the numbers...

For people to even compare Robert to the Rolling Stones in a live setting is silly. The Stones are the big time - stadium, arena's, and outdoor festivals (sheds). Plant is playing clubs and theaters because that is the only size of crowd that would bother to show up for what he is offering. A "niche" artist is just hip way of saying can't pull in the numbers...

I don't think anyone is comparing the two .. Robert could be in THE band .... If they ever get back together, it would be the Tour of the Millennium. Bigger than The Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd, The Police, McCartney etc... even bigger than Eric Clapton....

Robert's happily doing what he wants and making a pretty good living at the same time..

What The Stones are doing is fine too.. I'm not going to criticize them for making big money.

But, If I had a choice to see Robert Plant at the Orpheum Theater for 60 bucks .... or The Rolling Stones at The Wonder Dome for 600 bucks... I know where I'm going.,,,

I guess I am comparing the two...

Archived