Crossley portable turntables

ScarletMacaw

My biggest concern with the Crosleys is the lack of an adjustable counterweight. With too much weight the stylus will literally tear through the grooves and wear out a record. I wouldn't play anything rare or well loved on it, but for casual listening with some disposable (or worn) vinyl....it'd be ok.

I'm much more of a vintage guy, I've got a decent setup with a Pioneer table and a Marantz receiver, but I totally get not having enough space.

Does anyone have one of these? Are they as bad as the Amazon reviews imply? It's probably the only turntable I could fit into my apartment.

wow the reason i came on the site was to make this exact post. spot on macaw.

the reviews are concerning no doubt, so much so that I'm leaning toward the much more expensive audio technica

Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably pass for now...I actually don't even own any vinyl; I gave away all my LPs in the 80s (oops). Just thought it would be nice to have...will probably inherit my parents LPs at some point and would like to have more options...

I've been seeing them in Urban Outfitters for ages. They look cute, with their pastel colours of pink, green, blue, etc...but they also look cheap and not capable of providing much in the way of sound quality. No way I'm playing my "For Badgeholders Only" on one.

You should be able to find a decent quality turntable setup online or your local stereo shop or even some of the better Goodwill/thrift/pawn/second-hand shops.

Stay away from them. Its worth the $ to either buy a nice refurbished counsel type turntable or spend say anywhere between $200 - $300 for a decent TT. I bought a Harman Kardon T25 for like $150 bucks on eBay & its really nice. There's also a good TT maker called Pro-Ject (I may have spelled it wrong). But their TT's retail for I think around $300. The Crosley's are more of a novelty for your old K-Tel & disco records : )

• 3 weeks later...

Archived