2014 Baseball Thread

jb126

Manny Machado news. In the minor league rehab. 8 for 12, 4 doubles and a triple.

Expected to play his first game tonight in the second game of a double header vs Pittsburgh. Now Tillman is going in that game. Maybe Buck does not want to have him over do it on day one and play two games? Smart move. I am hoping to sweep them and then go into Minnesota and be careful because they have been far better than advertized. Watching Tampa and Boston a bit now

^^^ That was crazy yesterday...poor East Coasters had to stay up way past midnight to see the end of some of those double-headers, like in Baltimore. Did ya' get any sleep at all, Rick or ebk?

Texas sweeps the A's. Still think Oakland will rise to the top in that division, but I think they have some issues as far as closing out games is concerned....

Ahhhh, see what Rick and I mean by it being "early"? No sooner did Texas sweep Oakland than Oakland goes into Texas and sweeps them...by an aggregate score of 25-4!!!

Now that the month of April is over, I can at least say that the Angels at last made it above .500, ending the month 14-13 by beating Cleveland 7-1 on the last day of April. For once, the Angels are not deep in the hole like they have been the past few years. Only 3.5 games back with a key series vs. Texas this weekend.

Angels are hitting a ton of home runs, Pujols might finally be regaining his form, Mike Trout is a superstar in the making, and the starting pitching has been better than I expected...and that is with Jered Weaver not being on-form in his early starts, so it should only get better. But our bullpen is a worry...even more so than Oakland's, PC...and David Freese has been a bust so far. Many injury issues to contend with, as well. Who knows when Hamilton comes back and which Hamilton he'll be...the one that started the season looking good or the disappointment he was last year?

Where they are is much better than where they were last year and I see much room for improvement. But with Oakland and Texas above them, I still don't see them making the playoffs.

I was just about to chime in that the Yanks are not dead yet. First place may have to wait awhile for the O's, although technically I guess Baltimore is tied for first....

I think we are a far deeper club this year. Tampa has big big issues with their pitching. The Yankees have problems not only with their starters, but their middle relief. Boston is very hard to guage right now and so too Toronto. I really feel good about our team. Chen and Jiminez and Britton are really coming around. Expect Britton to join the rotation soon. Gausman? Not sure on his progress in the minors. Davis is likely out until the 11th. Maybe he can come back sooner. But the great news is Manny. He looks like Manny. He has made some real great plays that would have been hits if he was not in the lineup. I like our chances big time

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24548843/orioles-have-shown-continuing-interest-in-morales-but-gap-remains

The Orioles mean business and are going after Morales and a clear sign they are out to win it all this year as are the Dodgers. I said from day one that is my Series pick and I will not waiver. I am very much respectful of Oakland and Detroit (due only to their pitching), and even Texas. The team I really fear the most in the East is Tampa. But they have their own big issues with their pitching. But they can hit. We have to keep on winning. We are now in first. Chen has been plenty good lately and I hope he continues to get run support. Having Manny back is just huge. We have not lost since his return. Now we need Davis to heal fast. Then we go for it.

I'm watching the highlights now. Just when I was starting to think the Mets could be wild card contenders they have a road trip to Coors Field. Aye Carumba...

Braves have hit a bit of a rough patch, but that's to be expected over the course of 162 games. They will be fine, I think. It's when the postseason comes that they have their early collapse.

And even though they lost yesterday, I'm thinking those Brewers might be for real. The 2014 version of the Pirates perhaps, as far as being a team that comes out of nowhere. Hard to believe the Cards are already 6 games back of the division lead, they might have trouble getting a wild card, nevermind winning the World Series.

But as always, it's still early....

baseball_zpsa6498512.gif

Shit! I thought I had a chance to see history today & Verlander throws a fastball in a 1-2 count that was right down broadway. I have to question the pitch selection and location under those circumstances, but the Tigers are winning the game & I guess that's all that counts.

smiley-angry035.gif

Shit! I thought I had a chance to see history today & Verlander throws a fastball in a 1-2 count that was right down broadway. I have to question the pitch selection and location under those circumstances, but the Tigers are winning the game & I guess that's all that counts.

smiley-angry035.gif

What inning was it in, pc? I checked the game at one point and it was in the 7th inning and V still had the no-hitter going.

Giants are looking pretty good so far at home and on the road. :)

Your team is looking good, redrum. Everyone was jumping on the Dodgers but I had a feeling the Giants wouldn't go away. Plus, I had a sneaking suspicion that the Dodgers Australian trip would affect them in some way.

With the Kings and Clippers games already in the books, the Angels completed the trifecta, securing the last out in their 4-1 victory over the Yankees at 10:17pm. It was a tight pitcher's duel for 7 innings and then, the 8th proved the crucial point. First, Jered Weaver escaped out of a bases-loaded nobody out jam with the help of a great double-play by Kendrick. Then the Yankee's pitching collapsed...6 walks in the 8th inning, 5 consecutively as the Yankees walked in 3 Angel runs!!! Frieri closed out a 1-2-3 ninth to seal the win.