2014 Baseball Thread

jb126

I certainly can deal with the Yankees not making the playoffs this year. Actually I'll be glad if they don't - then they will be more inclined to work their farm system or "stock the shelves" via free agency. Better days are ahead, that's for sure.

I mean if you can wait for over 30 years just to make it back to the World Series, I can wait until next season to make the playoffs again and have a run at our 28th World Championship! :yesnod:

Better days are always ahead when you have their money. But they have to be smart how they spend it. And how they handle this A Rod thing? As for my O's, I do not think they are going anywhere any time soon. I think this team is built to be good for years. As long as a certain someone ponies up the money. The champagne should be on ice. Tomorrow night could be the night. Since they are playing Toronto, a win tonight and tomorrow seals the deal. The announcers last night seem to believe we would play the central winner if we do not catch Anaheim? Detroit more than likely unless KC can beat them at home? I would welcome playing KC as they do not have the offense or depth to beat us. Detroit has the experience and the starters. But if we hang with them until the late innings, we can bury their bullpen. I thought that if lets say Oakland or Seattle won the wild card game, they would go to Baltimore since they are in the same division as Anaheim and they would send the Central winner to Anaheim? I guess they changed it

^^ I know there used to be a rule that 2 teams from the same division couldn't play each other in the opening round of the playoffs, but since they instituted the 2nd wild card, I believe that rule has been done away with. I remember the Cards and Pirates played each other in the first round last year.

Not sure exactly how this new system works, so I'm not sure if the O's would be playing the winner of the Central or the winner of the Wild Card playoff game....

^^ I know there used to be a rule that 2 teams from the same division couldn't play each other in the opening round of the playoffs, but since they instituted the 2nd wild card, I believe that rule has been done away with. I remember the Cards and Pirates played each other in the first round last year.

Not sure exactly how this new system works, so I'm not sure if the O's would be playing the winner of the Central or the winner of the Wild Card playoff game....

Assuming all stays the same as far as Anaheim having the best record and the Orioles having the second best, and lets say Oakland has the first wild card and that either Seattle or the Central division loser gets the other. A good team is going to be going home. Seattle is blowing games they need. I do not think they have enough offense and if they fall short, that is where the blame will fall. KC gets Detroit at home for 3. KC must sweep in my opinion to have any shot of winning the Central. I do not like their chances. So I believe Detroit finds a way and then either KC or Seattle is the second wild card. I was ready to write the A's off until the last couple wins. But I do believe they will lose the wild card game if they play Seattle or Detroit. KC? Not so sure. The Orioles believe they can beat anyone and why wouldn't they. Even looking down a barrel twice vs a desperate Yankees team they rallied twice in the bottom of 9th to do them in. De Aza has been a great pick up. Paredes is very good and I have alot of confidence in him. Now Kellie Johnson has contributed in a big way with that walk off last night. This team is LOADED. Miller was a huge pick up as a relief pitcher. What a left handed pitcher coming out of the pen. So I am not sure about the matchup. Flaherty and Johnson will both play tonight I see. I think Schoop may rest? Buck sure knows how to sit guys that are in short slumps. And when they come back they are ready to rumble

Now the Dodgers have lost their "other" great Pitcher Ryu. Huge loss. Out for rest of regular season at least. MRI was today but I missed the results. It does not sound like they were good.

Orioles taking care of business. Chen the pitcher of record and we can cut this to one game and pop the champagne tomorrow if things go right. But look at this fucking Kansas Shitty. Down 3-0 to Danks in a desperate game. To me Seattle needs to win a couple tough games in Anaheim and then they are likely in the drivers seat. If KC cant beat the White Sox the are not going to beat the Tigers. What a disappointment for their long suffering fans. I was in a hotel in Philly in 1985 watching game 7 when they beat the St Louis Cardinals in the world series, their last trip to the post season with George Brett. That was forever ago. That same day we watched the Bills and Eagles who both stunk at the old Vet.

Palmer calling Toronto pitcher a gutless fool. He just threw the ball at our catchers head. Fucker. Ump warned the bench. Piece of shit

Edited by LedZeppfan77

This is a question for LedZeppfan77:

I/We already know that you favor and think that the 2014 Baltimore Orioles are and have already won this years World Series. Being a Believer Myself, I have also predicted that the Saint Louis Cardinals are the perennial and historically favored Team (now that the New York Yankees seem to have been eliminated this year by their loss earlier today).

I also realize that the Orioles have one of the best baseball wins this season. But that does not guarantee that one of the best teams this year is and will win the ALC pennant and even make it to the WS.

I can and will even say the same things about the St.L Cardinals. However, I have said what I have said before, and the facts will back Me up, the Cardinals have and will always be a consistent team in the month of September and October. I do not think the same can be said for the Orioles. Maybe this is Their year (or maybe it is the Cardinals year AGAIN).

EVEN IF THE SAINT LOUIS CARDINALS DO NOT MAKE IT TO THE WORLD SERIES THIS YEAR, I WILL ALWAYS BE PROUD OF THEM.

For all know (at this point), the next World Series could be against the Pittsburgh Pirates and the Kansas City Royals.

Regardless of this years World Series outcome:

GO CARDINALS!!!

Edited by kingzoso

I'm not sure the exact number of days we have left in the season, but I'm wondering if Miggy Cabrera will get to 30 homers for the season. Whatever happens, I have no doubt people will say it has been a "down" year for Miggy. I wonder how many batters would like to have a down year like that?

I've seen the highlights of the O's game--first, I don't get what Jose Reyes was bitching about on his headfirst slide home. Then for that Jays pitcher to actually throw at Caleb Joseph's head--very bush league. If you want to throw at somebody--and I don't understand wanting to throw at someone in the first place--but if you're going to do it, keep it below the neck...

Btw Rick, as I'm sure you know--the O's officially clinch with a win tomorrow night.... :yay:

I'm not sure the exact number of days we have left in the season, but I'm wondering if Miggy Cabrera will get to 30 homers for the season. Whatever happens, I have no doubt people will say it has been a "down" year for Miggy. I wonder how many batters would like to have a down year like that?

I've seen the highlights of the O's game--first, I don't get what Jose Reyes was bitching about on his headfirst slide home. Then for that Jays pitcher to actually throw at Caleb Joseph's head--very bush league. If you want to throw at somebody--and I don't understand wanting to throw at someone in the first place--but if you're going to do it, keep it below the neck...

Btw Rick, as I'm sure you know--the O's officially clinch with a win tomorrow night.... :yay:

I am well aware. It puts a big damper on it seeing Buck put Jiminez on the mound. Why? I do not get it. We do not need this guy. We have Gonzalez. We have a solid bullpen. Why does he feel the need to see this guy one more time fuck us. Hutchinson has been great lately. We may very well win the game with our bullpen? If he doesn't let him get us steamrolled early. I do not like it when he gets the start. He has been a huge disappointment in what is a great season. As for the King, I do not know what his question really is. We get you love the Cardinals. And NO I do not believe we have won the series already. I only fear the Angels and Dodgers. The Angels are the team we may have to deal with. And I respect the Tigers also. If we get KC or Oakland and I do not think that is likely, I think we win. If we get the Tigers, I also think we win but its more difficult. We are deeper than them and have a bullpen. They dont. If we get to the series, I totally expect to find either the Dodgers and Kershaw or the Nationals waiting. Nobody else. I do not think your Cardinals can beat the Nats or Dodgers in a 7 game series. We are going to have hell waiting for us if its the Angels in the ALCS. The Angels will be favored but Baltiimore has more power than any team. But we are without some key guys. I would hope he brings Davis back for that if it happens. We can win without him as he was only hitting 190 and led the league in KO's. Lots of problems this year. I will stick with my pick of a 1966 rematch between the Orioles and Dodgers. But i realize the Angels could win also. If that happens, we have the hope that with Machado and Wieters, we will be much better.

Angels magic number is 3.

Isn't that something. You guys are 4 up on us yet we can wrap it up tonight. And its not because Oakland is that good either. The champagne will be opened for both our teams this week. I thought tonight for us until I saw Buck wants to be cute and put Jiminez out there. A decision that may delay our celebration a day. I expect we meet in the ALCS. I believe it.

Read above King

Btw, I checked the O's schedule to see if they have any more games with the Blue Jays. I wouldn't expect anybody to try & exact some revenge on the Jays tonight or maybe even tomorrow--the O's have more important things to take care of--but the last 3 games of the regular season could be a different story.

Baltimore will have everything wrapped up by then so payback could be coming. Thoughts, Rick....

Edited by paul carruthers

Btw, I checked the O's schedule to see if they have any more games with the Blue Jays. I wouldn't expect anybody to try & exact some revenge on the Jays tonight or maybe even tomorrow--the O's have more important things to take care of--but the last 3 games of the regular season could be a different story.

Baltimore will have everything wrapped up by then so payback could be coming. Thoughts, Rick....

The Orioles are not going to risk any nonsense. the Jays on the other hand? Not so sure. If they do, I am sure they will be taken care of by the league. If I am Buck, I chose my lineup carefully for that series and I am sure he will. He may sit guys like Cruz and Hardy? Maybe give a couple Norfolk players a shot? The O's will not do anything stupid. That fucker Reyes I wish they would bean the bastard. But its not worth it. By then things should calm down. I worry more about them tonight. But they know they risk big fines and even suspensions that could to into next season. I was certain we would clinch tonight, but now with Jiminez getting a start vs Hutchinson, not sure at all. Bad matchup,. But we could beat them in the late innings. Buck is already resting guys.

Billy Ripken on MLB is pickiing an Orioles vs Nationals series. If the season ended now we would play Detroit after the wild card one off, which the winner goes to Anaheim. I do not like the best of 5 format. I did not think a division winner had to play best of five. Damn. That really is a different picture. So best of five vs the Tigers? They obviously go Sherzer, Price and Verlander or Porcello. We go Tillman, Chen and Norris. Maybe they have and edge with the starting rotation. I have to concede that. But we have a huge edge in the bullpen and a decisive edge in balanced hitting. Our 7,8,9 hitters can kill theirs.

The panel says the Tigers get Sanchez back for the pen. But they also agree the bullpen is a big problem. If its a slugfest, I like our chances vs anyone. Mariners in desperate need of a win tonight.

There is about equal support for a beltway series vs an all LA series

Edited by LedZeppfan77

So glad it's still on there. Adam Jones is such a cool guy.

He sure is. when they mention Frank Robinson, I wish Buck would take two hours one day and sit all these guys down and have them watch some tape of the 1970 and 83 Orioles. Especially the 70 team. Just to know the history. They should know it. I got to watch it. I think they would be amazed to watch Brooks field and Dave McNally and Palmer pitch. Great night in Baltimore and for all of us O's fans

Great to see Matt Wieteres there. I think I saw Davis early on

Edited by LedZeppfan77

Olé! Olé! Olé!

A new AL East Division Champ has been crowned! Congratulations to the Baltimore Orioles! After years of Yankee and Red Sox domination, there's a new sheriff in town. Well done, Os.

I'm happy for all the Orioles fans here, too. I know you've waited a long time.

It's weird how Baltimore clinched before the Angels, even though the Angels have the best record by far in MLB. But it won't be long...our magic number for winning the AL West grows smaller by the day.

Don't worry, Rick...the only way Baltimore and Anaheim meet in the playoffs is in the ALCS. So there's a good chance the Angels lose the first series and Baltimore avoids having to play the Angels.