Time for another Led Zeppelin Convention?

kingzoso

As far as I know, the last Led Zeppelin Convention was held way back in the year 2000 in Cleveland, Ohio. Me and a friend of mine, Todd, flew to Cleveland (from Saint Louis) to attend this event. I had never been to Cleveland but I knew that I would have a Great time. And I did. How can a very Big and Devoted Fan of Led Zeppelin not have a Great time at a convention devoted to Led Zeppelin and their fans and vendors?

The culmination of this Event was that a lot of the attendees had purchased tickets to see Jimmy Page and the Black Crowes perform at the Cleveland Gund Arena. Unfortunately, events beyond Our control (Jimmy with "back" problems) forced the cancellation of this concert.

I remember that We saw Michael White and His tribute to Led Zeppelin play in the ballroom of the Hotel. I remember a lot of those days but then again, I will admit, that I do not remember everything as I was "celebrating" and "partying" too much. Just "drunk" and "high" on the whole event.

I do remember meeting Grant Burgess, Rick Barrett, Hugh Grant and many others that helped organize the whole spectacle. (Some on this Forum will recognize these names).

If anyone who reads this and has the inkling to start another Led Zeppelin Convention, I would be more the Happy to help bring one to the Dallas, Texas area.

Edited to add: Was anyone else present at this Awesome Led Zeppelin Convention in Cleveland, Ohio? If so, I would like to read of Your Experiences at that time.

Grant Burgess is also kicking around the idea of organizing another Zepfest in Cleveland later this year.

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/14497-anyone-ever-go-to-a-zepfest/?hl=zepfest

Thank You, SAJ, for responding so quickly to My Topic/Post. I take it that You were not at the 2000 Cleveland Led Zeppelin Convention?

I forgot to add that Me and my Friend Todd also went to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame during the afternoon/downtime between the Led Zeppelin Convention. We certainly celebrated later that night when Me, Todd and some other Led Zeppelin fans that We met went "Out on the Tiles" in Cleveland's Drinking district.

I take it that You were not at the 2000 Cleveland Led Zeppelin Convention?

No, and I only attended Cleveland '98 and London (England) '98 because I was already in both cities at the time for the Page/Plant tour.

My point is if you are serious about organizing a convention or fan gathering it's best if it coincides with a tour as people have to justify the travel expense involved. Personally, I wouldn't fly half way around the world to look at a sixteen foot merchandise table or to see a tribute band. I would consider attending a US event that coincided with a tour and featured several interesting guests like former band mates, producers, authors and associates. The last time this was attempted (2012?) the whole thing imploded and a lot of people got screwed, that's why the direct involvement of a proven, reputable coordinator like Grant Burgess is so critical to generating interest, excitement and faith in the outcome.

For me, who has never attended a LZ convention could you explain the event;

Do many people attend

Is it a one day thing or longer

Do people have stalls or sell/auction stuff?

When peopleI talk of a convention, I always think of Sons of the Desert :unsure:

For me, who has never attended a LZ convention could you explain the event;

Do many people attend

Is it a one day thing or longer

Do people have stalls or sell/auction stuff?

When people talk of a convention, I always think of Sons of the Desert :unsure:

Zepfest '98 attracted several hundred people. It was a three day event with a package deal offered on a downtown Cleveland hotel room.

After checking in on Weds evening a chartered bus to Pittsburgh took us to attend that night's Page/Plant show at the Civic Arena.

Thu was at leisure in Cleveland, with a private party and tribute band at a local concert club that night. While at leisure, many took the opportunity to visit the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame on this day (including Jimmy). Michael Lee was seen by some at the Hard Rock, and he kindly granted an interview outside to one of the Zepfest '98 attendees.

The Zepfest '98 festivities were held on Friday...merchandise stalls, exhibits, book signings, food and music...followed by another Page/Plant concert that night in Cleveland.

Some of us continued on with the Page/Plant tour to Toronto on Saturday morning.

All things considered, I do believe this particular Zepfest offered just the right balance and enough attractions to make for a very worthwhile experience.

http://www.oldbuckeye.com/zepfest98/

Zepfest '98 attracted several hundred people. It was a three day event with a package deal offered on a downtown Cleveland hotel room.

After checking in on Weds evening a chartered bus to Pittsburgh took us to attend that night's Page/Plant show at the Civic Arena.

Thu was at leisure in Cleveland, with a private party and tribute band at a local concert club that night. While at leisure, many took the opportunity to visit the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame on this day (including Jimmy). Michael Lee was seen by some at the Hard Rock, and he kindly granted an interview outside to one of the Zepfest '98 attendees.

The Zepfest '98 festivities were held on Friday...merchandise stalls, exhibits, book signings, food and music...followed by another Page/Plant concert that night in Cleveland.

Some of us continued on with the Page/Plant tour to Toronto on Saturday morning.

All things considered, I do believe this particular Zepfest offered just the right balance and enough attractions to make for a very worthwhile experience.

http://www.oldbuckeye.com/zepfest98/

Thank you, Steve, it is the word convention which sounds so big to me, with ticker tape and that type of stuff..

• 2 weeks later...

I was there in 2000. I planned a road trip from Chicago to the convention and booked my hotel room with anticipation of the Page and Crowes concert at the Gund arena. Once I heard Page had some back issues I was still set on the Zep convention. When I arrived, I couldn't believe all the cool memorabilia and other goodies at the time. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I think Frank Melphi was there and was selling some of his original photo prints of Zeppelin. I bought a bunch of posters, a Knebworth concert shirt, stickers, and other stuff. Hidden Grok was there too (bootleg dealer), who had a rep in the convention but could not sell the boots inside so he took you outside to a van full of Zep bootlegs all original silvers. I just started getting into bootlegs so I spent probably a couple hundred bucks on boots.

Interesting side note: That same year, I purchased a VHS copy of Seattle 77 from Frank Melphi before it circulated. I taped the audio and sold it to a bootleg dealer but I can't remember which one.

I was there in 2000. I planned a road trip from Chicago to the convention and booked my hotel room with anticipation of the Page and Crowes concert at the Gund arena. Once I heard Page had some back issues I was still set on the Zep convention. When I arrived, I couldn't believe all the cool memorabilia and other goodies at the time. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I think Frank Melphi was there and was selling some of his original photo prints of Zeppelin. I bought a bunch of posters, a Knebworth concert shirt, stickers, and other stuff. Hidden Grok was there too (bootleg dealer), who had a rep in the convention but could not sell the boots inside so he took you outside to a van full of Zep bootlegs all original silvers. I just started getting into bootlegs so I spent probably a couple hundred bucks on boots.

Interesting side note: That same year, I purchased a VHS copy of Seattle 77 from Frank Melphi before it circulated. I taped the audio and sold it to a bootleg dealer but I can't remember which one.

Yes, Frank Melphi was there. Me and my friend Todd met him and went out to breakfast with him one morning. I remember all three of us were out on some balcony and Frank said he was going to take a picture of me and Todd. So we stood next to each other as Frank took the picture. When he was done he told us to turn around and look up at the sky. Lo and behold, there was a Zeppelin flying over and Frank said he got the Zeppelin (blimp) in the shot he took of us. I think he wanted to stay in touch with us but we never did (and I never got to see the picture).

Yes, Frank Melphi was there. Me and my friend Todd met him and went out to breakfast with him one morning. I remember all three of us were out on some balcony and Frank said he was going to take a picture of me and Todd. So we stood next to each other as Frank took the picture. When he was done he told us to turn around and look up at the sky. Lo and behold, there was a Zeppelin flying over and Frank said he got the Zeppelin (blimp) in the shot he took of us. I think he wanted to stay in touch with us but we never did (and I never got to see the picture).

Frank Melfi is on Facebook and graciously shares much of his photographic work with us there.

Frank Melfi is on Facebook and graciously shares much of his photographic work with us there.

Correct you are, Steve.

And would you agree with me that some of Led Zeppelin's greatest 1977 concert photos were captured by Frank, in Birmingham, 5/18/77?

• 3 weeks later...

Steve, I got to meet Michael and Charlie at the Hard Rock. I wish I had taken my camera along. That was a great weekend. I've always wondered if anyone had booted around the idea to have many bands throughout the day performing. Besides Zep material, maybe do influences, and solo stuff. Kinda like Abbey Road On The River in Louisvlle Ky. So many various styles would make it interesting. I'm not big on people dressing the part, or trying to do Plantations as some tribute bands do.

Archived