December 4, 1980 Led Zeppelin Disbands - Press Release

scutly

"We wish it to be known, that the loss of our dear friend and the deep respect we have for his family, together with the deep sense of undivided harmony felt by ourselves and our manager, have led us to decide that we could not continue as we were."

who wrote this?

It was signed "Led Zeppelin" so I am assuming that some press agent from Atlantic or Swan Song wrote it, most likely together with Peter Grant.

I think RP, JP and JPJ got to see the text before it was published.

The three surviving band members had convened in Jersey (England) in early November 1980 to come to terms with the loss and discuss their future together. Their decision to disband was expressed to Peter Grant during a band meeting held at the Savoy Hotel in London later that same month. Personally, I believe Peter Grant instructed the Swan Song Records Office in London to issue a disbandment press release and the final draft was approved by him as the manager of the group.

• 3 months later...

hello friends,

my name is derek and i am a long time listener and first time caller here on the forums!

i am a big bonham fan and i actually have a copy of the press release in my archives.

it was sent out by a man named BOB KAUS and it's on atlantic stationary:

ledzeppressreleasetodisband-lr_zpsc649ce

i'm glad my first post here might be useful!

derek...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived