Best crowd/taper

Strider77

If you got screwed around by collectors and bootleggers as many times as Freezer did, you'd probably want to destroy yer collection of master tapes too. Did you actually read those huge discussions over at the Den? What happened with Freezer's New Orleans '73 audience tape ("Freezer's Revenge") is, to this day, the shittiest, most underhanded thing I've ever heard of in audience tape collecting. You can't read that discussion and not end up a little bit jaded and cynical in regard to the tape collecting hobby.

Yeah, we'd love to hear his Baton Rouge '77 recording, but it ain't gonna happen any time soon. Again, blame the bootleggers for that one. Yes, he gave copies of it out. He also told the people he gave them to to keep it to themselves, and they have. It's called respecting the taper's wishes. I bet we'll see the goddamn soundboard of the Baton Rouge '77 show before we ever see Freezer's audience tape in circulation.

And, yeah, Freezer really is dead. His obit was printed in the NOLA paper...Mr Parr -to use Freezer's real name- was a well respected member of the NOLA/Red Stick community. I don't think his life revolved around taping and collecting. Hard to believe that the guy's been in the ground two and a half years and there are still people out there who have -as Freezer would put it- "Entitlement Issues" when it comes to the recordings he made.

I was actually trying to find those threads but couldnt! i wanted to find out what those fuckers did to his tape. i respect him and his being an awesome taper, im just legitimately curious about his story and what people did and if those people are on this forum in any capacity and wanting to of course hear this show.

I was actually trying to find those threads but couldnt! i wanted to find out what those fuckers did to his tape. i respect him and his being an awesome taper, im just legitimately curious about his story and what people did and if those people are on this forum in any capacity and wanting to of course hear this show.

I don't know if any of them are on this forum or not, but here's the story in a nutshell:

Some kids -young wannabe 'elitist' collectors- pooled their lunch money together and bought Freezer's master tapes of the '73 NOLA show...on the condition that they keep it to themselves for a year. Well, naturally these young turks couldn't keep it to themselves, and in their eagerness to be heroes to the Zeppelin trading community damaged the tapes while they were trying to transfer them. They then tried to cover it up, with everybody blaming everybody else, and the damaged tapes got passed around anyway. Then Freezer had a friend of his upload Freezer's safety copy of the recording...that's when all hell broke loose because it wasn't a secret anymore. So you ended up having all these wannabe 'elitist' collectors trying to take on Freezer, but he -and a lot of other people- knew they already had an agenda regarding Freezer and his Zeppelin recordings, so nobody was fooled. In the course of the discussion a lot of behind the scenes wheeling and dealing when it came to tape collecting came to light, because everybody was trying to play the blame game. Then somehow -;)- the damaged master tapes found their way to a bootleg company, and the whole deal was blown right then and there. It became pretty obvious that the only reason these guys bought Freezer's tapes in the first place was to sell them to the bootleggers.

As for Freezer's Baton Rouge '77 tapes, supposedly he sent a copy to the person in charge over at the Den, for possible uploading. Just the possibility of the show coming up was enough to get people to start blabbing about it all over the Zeppelin community. Sure as hell, word got to the bootleggers (the now defunct TCOLZ label) and they actually admitted that they had people monitoring the site waiting for the show to be uploaded so that they could be the first to bootleg it. I found this out, and got hold of Freezer personally and told him and the chick he sent the tapes to at the Den that unless they wanted another "Freezer's Revenge" type shitstorm on their hands -a shitstorm that brought a lot of unwanted attention to that particular torrent site- to hold back on uploading the show. Freezer then asked me to try and find out who the leak was on the QT, and, though it took a few months, I think I was able to find out who it was. I called that person out about it publicly -both here and elsewhere- and though they denied it (of course) it was pretty obvious that they were in cahoots with the bootleggers. That incident was my personal introduction to the world of online tape trading, by the way, and what an intro...

If yer a member at the Den, Rover, you want to find the following discussions and read them in the following order: "Where Do All These New Sources Of Old Zeppelin Shows Come From?" (found in the "Lounge" section of the site), "Freezer's Revenge" (found in Audio Torrents) and "The Latest News From Japan" (also in the "Lounge"). The "New Sources" discussion is especially key, since it essentially set the stage for all the bullshit that was to follow...

I don't know if any of them are on this forum or not, but here's the story in a nutshell:

Some kids -young wannabe 'elitist' collectors- pooled their lunch money together and bought Freezer's master tapes of the '73 NOLA show...on the condition that they keep it to themselves for a year. Well, naturally these young turks couldn't keep it to themselves, and in their eagerness to be heroes to the Zeppelin trading community damaged the tapes while they were trying to transfer them. They then tried to cover it up, with everybody blaming everybody else, and the damaged tapes got passed around anyway. Then Freezer had a friend of his upload Freezer's safety copy of the recording...that's when all hell broke loose because it wasn't a secret anymore. So you ended up having all these wannabe 'elitist' collectors trying to take on Freezer, but he -and a lot of other people- knew they already had an agenda regarding Freezer and his Zeppelin recordings, so nobody was fooled. In the course of the discussion a lot of behind the scenes wheeling and dealing when it came to tape collecting came to light, because everybody was trying to play the blame game. Then somehow - ;)- the damaged master tapes found their way to a bootleg company, and the whole deal was blown right then and there. It became pretty obvious that the only reason these guys bought Freezer's tapes in the first place was to sell them to the bootleggers.

As for Freezer's Baton Rouge '77 tapes, supposedly he sent a copy to the person in charge over at the Den, for possible uploading. Just the possibility of the show coming up was enough to get people to start blabbing about it all over the Zeppelin community. Sure as hell, word got to the bootleggers (the now defunct TCOLZ label) and they actually admitted that they had people monitoring the site waiting for the show to be uploaded so that they could be the first to bootleg it. I found this out, and got hold of Freezer personally and told him and the chick he sent the tapes to at the Den that unless they wanted another "Freezer's Revenge" type shitstorm on their hands -a shitstorm that brought a lot of unwanted attention to that particular torrent site- to hold back on uploading the show. Freezer then asked me to try and find out who the leak was on the QT, and, though it took a few months, I think I was able to find out who it was. I called that person out about it publicly -both here and elsewhere- and though they denied it (of course) it was pretty obvious that they were in cahoots with the bootleggers. That incident was my personal introduction to the world of online tape trading, by the way, and what an intro...

If yer a member at the Den, Rover, you want to find the following discussions and read them in the following order: "Where Do All These New Sources Of Old Zeppelin Shows Come From?" (found in the "Lounge" section of the site), "Freezer's Revenge" (found in Audio Torrents) and "The Latest News From Japan" (also in the "Lounge"). The "New Sources" discussion is especially key, since it essentially set the stage for all the bullshit that was to follow...

wow..........i am speechless.........they didnt just admit it to Freezer that they fucked his tape up trying to put it out early? and just apologize and maybe get a second chance? fuck them man....they lied to a man who went WELL OUTTA HIS WAY just to give it to their greedy gladhands asses. as much as i want to hear these shows, you gotta read my post, i was very explicitly saying DOING THAT, WAS NOT THE WAY TO GO....that is horrifying dood....i dunno what the hell i would do to someone if they fucked with my tapes like that and ONLINE so i couldnt really get to them so there's nothing really he could do its outta his hands...how frustrating would that be? how could you not keep it to yourself FOR A YEAR?? I mean come on....thats quite the intro to the taping community, Jesus, Nutrocker, but I guess its good in a way because you completely knew HEY THERE ARE FUCKING VULTURES OUT THERE immediately and knew enough to watch out. I was only doubting Freezer / Mr. Parr's death as a half joke just as a metaphor for how this guy is like Kaiser Soze and seems to be a ghost in the taper's community since he went underground at two seperate occasions, but with good reason. Nutrocker, were you one of the few to hear the 77 shows? (not that you'd tell me anyway hahahah) .

I really appreciate you talking to me and giving me the schtick, Nutrocker! you're a badass too man, i've been enjoying those MSG 1977 shows, seriously, and now im looking steadfastly for a torrent of Feb. 14th Nassau, a show ive been blasting on youtube lately and loving it. dug out my old copy of Flying Circus and gotta say its the best Dazed & Confused I've ever heard :)

Y'know what's weird? I like the idea of Over the Top, what with the OotT intro, but I think the '75 Moby Dicks as a whole were more interesting.

I agree on Moby dick being more interesting overall but man.... The intro to MD is some of the best guitar work Jimmy ever did, the whole tone on LZ II is perfect, so raw and rugged

I think a movie about all of this stuff, the trading, the hoarding, the ledgendary shows that people have or don't... the first Dylan bootlegs - what was it - The Great White Wonder - That'd make an excellent movie - how bout a kick starter project?

Dunno about a movie, but if you haven't read Clinton Heylin's book Bootleg: The Rise And Fall Of The Secret Recording Industry it's a must read. There are stories in there that'll curl yer nosehairs...

Archived