Classic Albums: Physical Graffiti

I would absolutely love to see a quality documentary made regarding the making of one of the Zeppelin albums. My suggestion would by Physical Graffiti, being that it would involve a great deal of music and that the album is regarded by many as their pinnacle.

This type of documentary has been done by several artists, such as Queen and U2 with the Classic Albums series, but most notably by Pink Floyd. Floyd has done it twice, with both The Dark Side of the Moon, and Wish You Were Here. They were brilliantly made, and featured archive footage, interviews with band members and others that were a big part of the band’s life. Some of the best parts are the up-to-date solo performances, such as Dave Gilmour playing the famous guitar parts.

I couldn’t help thinking how amazing this would be to have the same format with studio tracks being dissected by instrument, Page and Jones doing some up-to-date playing and commentary, and location filming of the pertinent places. I’m sure there’s money to be made in such a venture, which must be tempting to Jimmy, but then again, you have to consider the Robert anti-Zeppelin factor in approving such a project, and the Zeppelin tendency to take years to get anything done, even if all agree.

I agree completely with this.

The Hendrix programme was fantastic, with hugely informative insights from Eddie Kramer (obviously in lieu of Mr Hendrix himself). The ability to focus in on various instruments, insights into locations, influences and so on, would add even more colour to their recorded work.

With his clear continued enthusiasm for the recorded works of Zeppelin, and his behind the scenes involvement, Page would be invaluable in this.

I do wonder if such "scrutiny" may be seen by band members as removing some of the mystery behind the music etc. To my mind, 40 years or so on from most of the albums having been released, the mystery aspect is largely irrelevant and a change in approach to celebrate the mastery, to shine more light on aspects of the music, would further enhance their legacy.

Hell, make a series of them covering all the albums (or at least up to Presence ;)). I'd like to see Page's face and hear from him on the squeaky bass pedal in Since I've Been loving You, the telephone ringing

During the Ocean and other such gaffes/intentional additions/oversights/etc.

Anyone know why they haven't been asked? Given their status and the acceptance if their production values I'd have thought they'd have been a favourite to be asked to participate. So, with that in mind why have they refused? Surely one member vetoing wouldn't mean another couldn't proceed?

The two Pink Floyd documentaries are very good, brilliantly made, and I too would love to see a similar one made on Physical Graffiti. With Floyd in particular it's interesting and very enjoyable to see archive footage because of the lack of interviews they did at the time (very much like Led Zeppelin, actually). Any Zep documentary would be nice, as sparrow says, but if it's done in the same way as those two... it would be great. Everyone involved will have to be very keen and enthusiastic though, otherwise there's no point. As you say, getting Robert to cooperate may be hard. I won't hold my breath.

Like someone has already said, I'm sure that the makers of the series must have approached them to make an episode. The list of artists that shows were made about are listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Albums

Assuming that they were approached, it could have been that they had plenty on their plates at the time, what with Robert's touring and albums, Celebation Day, etc. Probably just lack of enthusiasm based upon the amount of time needed to do it and probably not a whole lot in the form of compensation.

Damn, it would be good, though.

I would absolutely love to see a quality documentary made regarding the making of one of the Zeppelin albums. My suggestion would by Physical Graffiti, being that it would involve a great deal of music and that the album is regarded by many as their pinnacle.

This type of documentary has been done by several artists, such as Queen and U2 with the Classic Albums series, but most notably by Pink Floyd. Floyd has done it twice, with both The Dark Side of the Moon, and Wish You Were Here. They were brilliantly made, and featured archive footage, interviews with band members and others that were a big part of the band’s life. Some of the best parts are the up-to-date solo performances, such as Dave Gilmour playing the famous guitar parts.

I couldn’t help thinking how amazing this would be to have the same format with studio tracks being dissected by instrument, Page and Jones doing some up-to-date playing and commentary, and location filming of the pertinent places. I’m sure there’s money to be made in such a venture, which must be tempting to Jimmy, but then again, you have to consider the Robert anti-Zeppelin factor in approving such a project, and the Zeppelin tendency to take years to get anything done, even if all agree.

I agree, PG would be an awesome album to have the Zeppelin folks dissect.

But I have always had a ANY Zeppelin Classic Albums episode on my wish list. :smiley_pray::smiley_pray::smiley_pray:

It would be really amazing to hear about composition and production from the remaining 3 and those near and dear to the process.

I doubt there is money in doing them, but I think posterity and legacy would appeal to Mr. Page, he is the ultimate producer.

I love the episode on "The Band", I am a huge fan and hearing Levon, Rick, Robbie and Garth tell their stories and pick the music apart was pretty cool.

Many of the episodes made are available on YouTube.

During the Ocean and other such gaffes/intentional additions/oversights/etc.

Anyone know why they haven't been asked? Given their status and the acceptance if their production values I'd have thought they'd have been a favourite to be asked to participate. So, with that in mind why have they refused? Surely one member vetoing wouldn't mean another couldn't proceed?

Oh, I'm sure they've been asked...many times over. But it's probably been a combination of bad timing and/or bad vibes that has led they guys to say "no" so far.

One sticking point may be Jimmy's reluctance to reveal the master tapes. Remember his refusal to let Guitar Hero use them? Or his anger at the individual tracks for Led Zeppelin II coming out on bootleg?

I wonder how much control the bands have over the making of these Classic Albums episodes? They do actually seem to be mostly on-topic and tastefully produced, although there are occasional interviews with people beyond the recording process with a few "life on the road" tales. Any hint of even the possibility of that shit and the band would put the telephone receiver down of whoever was pitching the idea.

As for PG being the featured album, the episode could feature:

RECORDING AND MIXING LOCATIONS

Headley Grange - Page was there for the filming of "It Might Get Loud" (unfortunately Olympic Studios are no longer)

RECORDING AND MIXING PERSONNEL

Ron Nevison (unfortunately Keith Harwood and Andy Johns passed away)

George Chkiantz

Eddie Kramer

OTHER LOCATIONS

St Marks Place NYC - Scene of the album cover photo

OTHER PERSONNEL (besides the 3 surviving band members)

Richard Cole (he seems to be somewhat forgiven for his book based upon his invite to the O2)

George Corriston (he did the album artwork)

Edited by NealR2000

I think you're right, being that it is their biggest-selling album, and the standard album length is more manageable given the format length of the episodes. However, it would make an even tougher sell to Robert given his history of anti-Stairway, although he did surprisingly perform it at the O2.