2015 MLB BASEBALL THREAD

Strider

:hurrah:

2015-10-08-17-34-08-1.png

Hahaha...where did you find that picture?

I believe the announcers during the game said that David Price for his postseason career as a starter is 0-6 with an ERA over 5--those numbers certainly back up Rick's statements about Price being overrated....

0-6?!? :blink: I never would have guessed he was that bad. Wow.

In the Major League Post-Season Baseball Contest, I picked the Blue Jays over the Rangers and the Royals over the Astros.  I just want to say that I picked the Blue Jays and the Royals because I thought these two were the better of the other two during the regular season. 

I watched both games and was rooting for the Rangers (I live in a city 20 miles north of Dallas) and the Astros (I grew up an Astros fan as a kid and went to many Astros games at the Astrodome). 

GO CARDINALS!!!  GO RANGERS!!!  GO ASTROS!!!

Nothing new there, Strider.  It seems in baseball, home field advantage is not as big of a deal - which is strange considering how each stadium has it's own nuances compared to other sports' playing fields.  

Just because you want a team to win does not mean that team will win.  Take your Baltimore Orioles and look what kind of a season they had.  I am glad that the Cardinals are playing against the Cubs.  The Cardinals have the Post-Season experience that the Cubs very much lack. 

And the Cubsb were number one in the power rankings at seasons end.  Its a toss up to me.  I hope the Cubs smash them. 

Let me add, most people in the USA want the Cubs to win the Series.  But you would not understand this.  Its a great story if they do win.  They have a shot

Edited by LedZeppfan77

Well now that I have gotten the St Louis propoganda daily BS out of the way, the Dodgers and Mets should be a great game.  I may have underestimated Houston in my contest picks.  Damn.  KC MUST WIN TODAY with Cueto or its lights out.  Keichel is not going to lose his game.  So he is one in the bag for Houston.  KC must win the other games.  Or they are done. I have no love for them, but I will be surprised if they go this quickly.  Still believe in the Cubs magic ride.  They have another ex O and Lester to go  at them before jake pitches again.  Kick ass you Cubbies!!!!  Back to the Mets at Dodgers again for just a minute, its a dream series, NY vs LA.  The most attractive series from a TV standpoint.

This really sucks.  I love Scully.  I wish he would come back another year.  

Texas putting it  to Toronto already.  Good.  Can't stand them.  Anderson, Bautista and their dirty manager

OK Hamel.  Earn your salt.  KO these sons of bitches

Come on. He is safe at third

Edited by LedZeppfan77

Nothing new there, Strider.  It seems in baseball, home field advantage is not as big of a deal - which is strange considering how each stadium has it's own nuances compared to other sports' playing fields.  

I know the baseball home field advantage isn't as pronounced as the NBA and NFL. But it is kind of new when what has happened in these playoffs has not occurred since 1906!

This really sucks.  I love Scully.  I wish he would come back another year.  

Thanks Rick. Even if you don't like the Dodgers, and I'm not a fan, if you love baseball how can you not love Vin Scully? Hope he's on the mend soon...but the day is coming soon, I fear.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/13844497/seattle-mariners-fire-manager-lloyd-mcclendon-two-seasons

Another one bites the dust--given that many people (myself included) had Seattle winning the AL West the last 2 years, this move is not surprising...

Edited by paul carruthers

I know the baseball home field advantage isn't as pronounced as the NBA and NFL. But it is kind of new when what has happened in these playoffs has not occurred since 1906!

Yes, I understand what you're saying concerning the recent historical aspect.  It's just interesting how teams are usually built for the ballpark in which they play in, but when it comes down to crunch time it really isn't an advantage at all.  Certainly not like it was when the Yankees always had left handed power for that short porch in right field at the old (and new) Yankee Stadium and how the Cards used to have speed burners that would manufacture runs without any extra base hits in Busch Stadium. Look at how many wild card teams have been going deep in the playoffs in the recent past.  

Yes, I understand what you're saying concerning the recent historical aspect.  It's just interesting how teams are usually built for the ballpark in which they play in, but when it comes down to crunch time it really isn't an advantage at all.  Certainly not like it was when the Yankees always had left handed power for that short porch in right field at the old (and new) Yankee Stadium and how the Cards used to have speed burners that would manufacture runs without any extra base hits in Busch Stadium. Look at how many wild card teams have been going deep in the playoffs in the recent past.  

I think a lot of that has to do with the demise (hooray!!!) of artificial turf in many ballparks. You mentioned the old Cardinals teams, and the Big Red Machine teams were also built for the artificial turf of old Riverfront Coliseum, as were the Twins in the old Marshmallow Dome they used to play.

I like the quirks of the old parks...the Green Monster of Fenway, the short porch of Yankee Stadium, the old Tigers Stadium.

Dodger Stadium is a notorious "pitcher's park", with home runs being scarce, so traditionally the Dodger teams were built around pitching and defense. The pitching mound at Dodger Stadium was the envy of every pitcher in the league for decades because it was higher and steeper than every other ballpark until MLB recently made the Dodgers alter the mound to conform with the norm.

Edited by Strider

So much for my comment about the Royals potentially smashing the Astros. Home field doesn't mean shit so far in the 2015 postseason--although, the Jays are coming up in the bottom of the 13th with a chance to walk it off.

Will Clayton Kershaw continue to gag in the postseason--I can only hope...