Snoop To Cover Cash?

Jahfin

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00013054.html

Snoop Dogg Eyeing a Johnny Cash Song for 'Ego Trippin'

by Staff Writer

CWP-001330.jpg

© Wild1/PR Photos

Snoop Dogg is considering to include a cover of Johnny Cash song in his upcoming album, 'Ego Trippin'. The rapper believes that Cash's 1969 song 'A Boy Named Sue' is "gangster" enough for his record.

"I'm still trying to find a Johnny Cash (song) I can have fun with," Snoop said. "To me, Johnny Cash is a rapper. His s**t was dope, a lot of rappers don't know that. 'A Boy Named Sue' sounds gangster."

Country song 'A Boy Named Sue' was recorded live in California in the peak of Cash's singing career. It has been covered by several artists including rock act Joshua James, although none has made a commercial success compared to its original version.

'Ego Tripin' is scheduled to be released in March 2008. First single 'Sensual Seduction' aka 'Sexual Eruption' in dirtier version has been released along with its music video. Snoop has stated that it will be a solo record in the sense that there won't be any featured artist.

In between recording this album Snoop is juggling his days with a reality show called 'Snoop Dogg's Fatherhood' which will air on E! soon. David Beckham recently made a guest appearance in the show, teaching Snoop's children some soccer movements.

"I've been a big hip hop fan for many years, a big rap fan, and to be asked to do something with Snoop was incredible," Beckham said.

I am by no means a rap fan, but for some odd reason or another I like Snoop :unsure:

Am I the only one with this "guilty pleasure"?

I don't own any of his cd's but when I see him perform on different shows,I like what I hear B)

Snoop going Johnny Cash......We'll see :D

I do like The Gourds' version of Snoop's Gin n' Juice.

Perhaps he can try his hand at Folsom Prison Blues. I know damn well he wouldn't feel the need to be politicially correct by changing the words as Keb Mo did during a televised Cash tribute a few years ago.

File this under Dolly Parton covering Stairway To Heaven, Sheryl Crow covering Sweet Child O'Mine and Puff Crappy working with Jimmy Page.

I can't say I really ever had a problem with Dolly recording Stairway, not to mention she had Page & Plant's permission as well as their input on some of the lyrics she changed. Afterall, it's not as though Zep never covered anybody else's material.

I'm not much on Sheryl Crow but not only does that G n' R cover suck, so does her cover of Zep's D'yer Ma'ker.

As for Page and P. Diddley, I admire his ability to work outside of his given genre. The results may not have been that great but it goes to show, he's not afraid to expand his musical boundaries.

In regards to Snoop covering Cash, at least he has some credibility with me, he just needs to be wise enough to choose a song Cash actually wrote.

I can't say I really ever had a problem with Dolly recording Stairway, not to mention she had Page & Plant's permission as well as their input on some of the lyrics she changed. Afterall, it's not as though Zep never covered anybody else's material.

I'm not much on Sheryl Crow but not only does that G n' R cover suck, so does her cover of Zep's D'yer Ma'ker.

As for Page and P. Diddley, I admire his ability to work outside of his given genre. The results may not have been that great but it goes to show, he's not afraid to expand his musical boundaries.

In regards to Snoop covering Cash, at least he has some credibility with me, he just needs to be wise enough to choose a song Cash actually wrote.

I'm glad you didn't have a problem with any of that. You don't see a pattern emerging in all those covers/collaborations though? The file name is called "Shit that shouldn't happen on the Devil's worst day".

I'm glad you didn't have a problem with any of that. You don't see a pattern emerging in all those covers/collaborations though? The file name is called "Shit that shouldn't happen on the Devil's worst day".

I didn't say "any of that". I actually don't mind Dolly's Stairway cover. Have you heard the cover of Stairway by the Geezinslaws with spoken word interludes by none other than Willie Nelson? While it's nothing like the original, I admire what they've done with it.

It all comes down to personal preference. I imagine there were some blues purists that weren't exactly thrilled to hear what Led Zeppelin (as well as other bands) had done to their songs back in the day.

I didn't say "any of that". I actually don't mind Dolly's Stairway cover. Have you heard the cover of Stairway by the Geezinslaws with spoken word interludes by none other than Willie Nelson? While it's nothing like the original, I admire what they've done with it.

It all comes down to personal preference. I imagine there were some blues purists that weren't exactly thrilled to hear what Led Zeppelin (as well as other bands) had done to their songs back in the day.

Did I say you said "any of that"? No. "Any of that" refers to the songs I mentioned.....in other words, I'm glad you don't have a problem with any of those songs (save the Sheryl Crow song you said you didn't like). My God.

And no, I haven't heard it because unless it's classic rock/oldies/classical/some pop music/electronica-dance.....I don't listen to it. I have very specific tastes and that doesn't sound like something I would listen to unless I was forced.

Did I say you said "any of that"? No. "Any of that" refers to the songs I mentioned.....in other words, I'm glad you don't have a problem with any of those songs (save the Sheryl Crow song you said you didn't like). My God.

My apologies, I misunderstood. I wasn't that crazy about the P. Diddley collaboration either but I did admire Page for stepping out on an artistic limb like that. It also drives the rap haters among Zep fans crazy which is always good. Maybe stuff like that will help free their minds and expand their musical horizons. Zep themselves have always drawn from a deep well of musicial influences and continue to to this day with Plant working with Krauss and the numerous people John Paul Jones has worked with over the years from Diamanda Galas to R.E.M.

And no, I haven't heard it because unless it's classic rock/oldies/classical/some pop music/electronica-dance.....I don't listen to it. I have very specific tastes and that doesn't sound like something I would listen to unless I was forced.

To each their own, I personally don't limit my tastes so severely and don't rule out listening to a song even if it is something I don't think I'm gonna like ahead of time. Life's far too short for that.

To each their own, I personally don't limit my tastes so severely and don't rule out listening to a song even if it is something I don't think I'm gonna like ahead of time. Life's far too short for that.

I limit what I listen to because I know what I like and what I don't. I hate rap music. So why would I listen to it? I don't like polka music, so why would I listen to it? If you know someone who hates raw onions, would you chastise them for "limiting their tastes" because they don't eat them? You're right when you say to each their own, but you're coming off like you think I'm wrong.

I limit what I listen to because I know what I like and what I don't. I hate rap music. So why would I listen to it? I don't like polka music, so why would I listen to it? If you know someone who hates raw onions, would you chastise them for "limiting their tastes" because they don't eat them? You're right when you say to each their own, but you're coming off like you think I'm wrong.

What I mean is, I also have certain genres of music I favor and those I don't but I never rule out giving a listen to something I think I may not like. For instance, I was never a big fan of punk rock but I have a nephew that would play me songs he thought I might like over the years. I never became a fan of any of those artists but it increased my awareness of music I may have never heard of. To this day we still have those listening sessions but the music isn't confined to punk.

At work, we write the day's schedule on the board: what time everyone is coming in and leaving for the day. Yesterday, someone wrote "Mondizzle" on the board. I was like, "why is it that we have to sound like Snoop Dog all the time around here? (My boss likes to spell things ending in "s" with a "z.")

We started talking bout Snoop Dog...then I blurt out..."I had Doggystyle!"

Everyone stopped dead in their tracks and just stared at me. "I am talking about the CD!"

I walked away, tail between my legs. :blush:

I am by no means a rap fan, but for some odd reason or another I like Snoop :unsure:

Am I the only one with this "guilty pleasure"?

Count me in. :unsure::blush:

At work, we write the day's schedule on the board: what time everyone is coming in and leaving for the day. Yesterday, someone wrote "Mondizzle" on the board. I was like, "why is it that we have to sound like Snoop Dog all the time around here? (My boss likes to spell things ending in "s" with a "z.")

We started talking bout Snoop Dog...then I blurt out..."I had Doggystyle!"

Everyone stopped dead in their tracks and just stared at me. "I am talking about the CD!"

I walked away, tail between my legs. :blush:

I really look forward to your autobiography... :D

I also liked the Jimmy and Puffy collaberation :D

Fuck all you naysayers B) I also enjoyed watching Jimmy do it on SNL too!!!

Yeah, that wasn't too bad actually... Well, all of Puffy's lyrics sucked, but Page's was great. It had a great feel to it... Take Puffy out and it was a great song...

As for Snoop doing Cash... :o He needs to stay in his own genre... He already destroyed the Doors' Riders on the Storm... :(

As for Snoop doing Cash... :o He needs to stay in his own genre... He already destroyed the Doors' Riders on the Storm... :(

Should the Gourds have also "stayed in their own genre"? If so, we would have never heard them successfully take on Snoop's Gin n' Juice. Then again, it's pretty hard to put the Gourds in one genre as they already cover a lot of ground including rock, r & b, old school country, cajun, zydeco, bluegrass, folk...you name it.

This isn't their actual MySpace site but you can hear their cover of Gin n' Juice here:

http://myspace.com/thegourds

Their official site is here:

http://www.thegourds.com

Should the Gourds have also "stayed in their own genre"? If so, we would have never heard them successfully take on Snoop's Gin n' Juice. Then again, it's pretty hard to put the Gourds in one genre as they already cover a lot of ground including rock, r & b, old school country, cajun, zydeco, bluegrass, folk...you name it.

This isn't their actual MySpace site but you can hear their cover of Gin n' Juice here:

http://myspace.com/thegourds

Their official site is here:

http://www.thegourds.com

I didn't say EVERYONE should stay in their own genre... I said Snoop should... His "covers" (samples, really), in my opinion, suck big time.

And FWIW, I've liked the Gourds' cover of Gin n' Juice since I heard. Funny stuff.

I didn't say EVERYONE should stay in their own genre... I said Snoop should... His "covers" (samples, really), in my opinion, suck big time.

Cool. Can't say I've heard much of his stuff anyway, much less his cover material.

And FWIW, I've liked the Gourds' cover of Gin n' Juice since I heard. Funny stuff.

I love me some Gourds. Definitely one of the best live bands on the planet.

gourds.jpg

The Gourds performing on Austin City Limits earlier this year

Archived