Best Matrixes

renounce

Having recently heard the excellent 'The Devils Blues' matrix of 27.4.69 I have a got bit of a taste for matrixes and the way they combine the best elements of SBD and AUD recordings. Having done some searching, there seems to be a surprising absence of good LZ matrixes out there. I am aware of 3.7.70 and 12.2.75. Grateful if anyone can point me in the direction of more.

Thanks for a great forum.

Surprisingly there aren't really any good ones from 1973. I know there's some matrix of 1975/03/11 out there, and there's an excellent matrix of 1975/02/28 if you ask the right person. I think a matrix of 1975/02/14 was made but I've never heard it. I'm surprised a matrix of 1975/03/17 hasn't been made. I tried to do one of 1975/03/20 but I lost all will to finish it when I realized the daunting task of matrixing a 37 minute Dazed and Confused. There's a pretty good matrix of the last night in Earl's Court. I also tried to do a matrix of 1977/05/25 but I couldn't figure out a good balance for the acoustic set. Bluecongo once attempted one for 1977/05/30 but didn't like how it sounded, and for some reason no one's ever tried 1977/06/07. There are also excellent matrixes of 1979/08/04 and 1980/06/29.

Having recently heard the excellent 'The Devils Blues' matrix of 27.4.69 I have a got bit of a taste for matrixes and the way they combine the best elements of SBD and AUD recordings. Having done some searching, there seems to be a surprising absence of good LZ matrixes out there. I am aware of 3.7.70 and 12.2.75. Grateful if anyone can point me in the direction of more.

Thanks for a great forum.

When did someone do a matrix of Devil's blues? I thought Devils Blues was just the soundboard release by Genuine masters?

Surprisingly there aren't really any good ones from 1973. I know there's some matrix of 1975/03/11 out there, and there's an excellent matrix of 1975/02/28 if you ask the right person. I think a matrix of 1975/02/14 was made but I've never heard it. I'm surprised a matrix of 1975/03/17 hasn't been made. I tried to do one of 1975/03/20 but I lost all will to finish it when I realized the daunting task of matrixing a 37 minute Dazed and Confused. There's a pretty good matrix of the last night in Earl's Court. I also tried to do a matrix of 1977/05/25 but I couldn't figure out a good balance for the acoustic set. Bluecongo once attempted one for 1977/05/30 but didn't like how it sounded, and for some reason no one's ever tried 1977/06/07. There are also excellent matrixes of 1979/08/04 and 1980/06/29.

I recently picked up a copy of 5/24/75 EC DVD that has a sbd/aud matrix synced to the video. I prefer to listen to it compared to the sbd as it gives a better "in concert" feel to the show, IMO.

I really like the Winston Remaster matrix of Seattle 7/17/1973, but I've only came across disc 1, but I used the EV V1/2 matrix for disc 2, which might be as good or better but I've never compared disc 1 with the WR version. When getting this show I had no idea which one sounded the best, but I really liked how the WR matrix sounded compared to the others. Plus it has one of the coolest album covers of any Zeppelin album/bootleg IMO. But everyone knows that the '73 soundboards sound quite dry so they don't make as good matrix as later ones do, but with an audience recording I think it sounds pretty good compared to '73 SBDs. Also Texas Pop Festival 8/31/1969 'The Only Way To Fly' is a good one and a great show.

For the record, I didn't do a 5/30/77 matrix

I made one for the following shows

2.12.75 the best IMHO

Winston did several including 8.4.79 and some 80 shows, plus I believe Seattle 73, all well worth checking out

For the record, I didn't do a 5/30/77 matrix

I could swear I remember you posting an attempt at Ten Years Gone and deciding not to pursue it any further because there was some chorus effect you didn't like. Back in like, December 2012.

Oh yeah, I did didn't I. Yeah I didn't like the sound either, just didn't blend right.

Holding out for two shows to come out of Matrix retirement

Badgeholders or 7.24.79

The key to a good matrix is having a clear Aud source that is heavy on ambience, that's the magic sauce.

When did someone do a matrix of Devil's blues? I thought Devils Blues was just the soundboard release by Genuine masters?

Doh, my bad. Checked, and the Devil's Blues is indeed an SBD not a matrix, got it confused with something else. Damn fine recording either way though.

Archived