Favourite led zeppelin vinyl?

OK guys. I have been into vinyl for a few months now, and have been in to LZ for 3-4 years but only since I've been into vinyl have I truly found a real interest. This was more than partly due to the fact that my first vinyl was 'The Song Remains the Same Soundtrack'. I currently own that, obviously, 'LZ II' and 'In Through the Out Door' in the butchers sleeve. I was thinking about what my next would be in a record fair recently, but I though it would be interesting to see what you guys' favourites are. Mine is probably Led Zep II out of the ones I own, but if I owned it, it's more than likely my favourite it would be Led Zeppelin IV. Love to find out what you guys think. Thanks :)

P.S. ignore my slightly dubious school pottery project from a couple of years ago at the top of the picture!

IMG_5537.JPG

I'm pretty much in the same position as you as I just got my 1st turntable about 2 months ago, which my dad has an impressive collection from his days including a copy of IV and Houses Of The Holy. Since these are the only 2 Zeppelin vinyls I have at the moment, I have listened to each like 50 times!! lol I would recommend either one, but if you're looking to purchase a Zeppelin vinyl today l, then I would suggest purchasing your favorite album or your favorite album that you don't own (if it's one of these 3). But if you like them all and just trying to figure out which would be the coolest, then you got 2 great options IMO. III comes with a really cool spin wheel on the cover that you can screw around with for an hour while enjoying the music plus side 1 is all great rockers while side 2 is all acoustic songs! I really, REALLY like how they organized that! Or Physical Graffiti because the packaging is superb! With all the windows and the individual sleeves like ITTOD, but cooler packaging plus it's 2 full albums around 82 minutes of amazing music! I'm going to look around today and hopefully pick up a new Zeppelin vinyl. Also remember that if you like the debut album, you can pick up the deluxe copy and get a live concert of Paris 1969 with it (can't possibly beat getting a studio album and a live concert in 1!).

I'm pretty much in the same position as you as I just got my 1st turntable about 2 months ago, which my dad has an impressive collection from his days including a copy of IV and Houses Of The Holy. Since these are the only 2 Zeppelin vinyls I have at the moment, I have listened to each like 50 times!! lol I would recommend either one, but if you're looking to purchase a Zeppelin vinyl today l, then I would suggest purchasing your favorite album or your favorite album that you don't own (if it's one of these 3). But if you like them all and just trying to figure out which would be the coolest, then you got 2 great options IMO. III comes with a really cool spin wheel on the cover that you can screw around with for an hour while enjoying the music plus side 1 is all great rockers while side 2 is all acoustic songs! I really, REALLY like how they organized that! Or Physical Graffiti because the packaging is superb! With all the windows and the individual sleeves like ITTOD, but cooler packaging plus it's 2 full albums around 82 minutes of amazing music! I'm going to look around today and hopefully pick up a new Zeppelin vinyl. Also remember that if you like the debut album, you can pick up the deluxe copy and get a live concert of Paris 1969 with it (can't possibly beat getting a studio album and a live concert in 1!).

sounds like physical graffiti is a goodun'. just my friend said she would get me that for my birthday (mutual agreement where i get her a copy of houses of the holy for hers) which is next may :/ one of my favourites from my collection is The Song Remains The Same, because their live stuff is so good, and my favourite album of all time is led zeppelin i so maybe the deluxe edition of that is one to definitely think about...

Dang that's a tough wait until May for Physical Graffiti, but well worth the wait! Especially to get it as a gift! I finally got to see a copy in person (sealed), and it's pretty impressive!

Anyway as I said I was going to get myself an album on vinyl, which I did! Took me about 30 minutes to decide between the debut, II and III as all 3 albums are fantastic! But I decided to start with the debut since it has all those heavy Blues songs that are all great! I just went with the standard edition as I already have the deluxe CD. I just want to get all 9 standard vinyl, but I'm thinking I will do the deluxe on Coda since its a triple vinyl and all the great material is on the 2nd and 3rd vinyl, but the other 8 will just be the standard copies to save some money after getting all the deluxe CDs!

I've listened to my debut copy about 5 times in the past few days and have concluded that it sounds even better than my remastered CDs!!! One song that has been a grower for me since I started listening to Zeppelin several years ago is You Shook Me. I've never thought too much about it until recently when I noticed the guitar and organ playing on each channel during the main riff! It sounds even more separated on vinyl and very easy to listen to both on my stereo! The vinyl simply has a perfect balance between instruments, it sounds so amazing. It's almost like hearing this album for the very 1st time again! This is definitely one of the best albums ever made IMHO even compared to the 4th album, which I like the debut much more than IV. This remastered debut even sounds better than the copies of IV and Houses Of The Holy that my dad got back in the 70's! Plus the 180 gram vinyl is obviously better physical quality as well!

Anyway, after purchasing myself a copy of the debut (standard edition) on vinyl, I would highly recommend doing the same, or the deluxe if you don't have a copy of the Paris concert which is very enjoyable! As long as you like the songs of course, which the debut has a great variety of early songs (Good Times Bad Times and Communication Breakdown are awesome rockers, and You Shook Me and Dazed And Confused are awesome heavy Blues rockers, and even Black Mountain Side sounds fantastic on here! I've always really liked Your Time Is Gonna Come too, and of course my favorite song on the album How Many More Times!). This album has so much great material! Plus it's Zeppelin's longest album besides Physical Graffiti of course, followed closely by Presence! The only thing that dissapointed me a little is that the sleeve doesn't open up and have a cool picture or something on this inside, which all the other Zeppelin albums do. But that's okay for the debut! This also is my favorite artwork of any Zeppelin album and looks much better on Vinyl, than it ever did on my CD! Needless to say, the Zeppelin vinyls come with very high quality!! My next purchase is going to be a tough one between II, III and Presence!!

• 2 months later...

First off, I just found this site and have to say 'hats off' to this forum. Been a Zep fan for 35 years and am constantly amazed at the relevance the band maintains after not putting out a studio LP in over 3 decades. 

All my vinyl is either original or near original pressings. Although I own pretty much everything recorded, I really only count the first 9 albums. IMO ya can't even count Physical Graffiti, because it's such a perfect LP in every fashion the conversation starts after it.

I've always felt In Through The Outdoor was a very under rated. Every time I would look at the 3 different variations I have of that cover, I find something new. I still remember freaking out when I realized a friend had a different cover to the same album. Made it a mission to try and get them all for a while, but never quite got there. I would also put Fool In The Rain in my personal top 5 Zep songs, which is of course an almost impossible exercise to begin with.

To me, Zep was made to be heard on vinyl. I currently spin them on a Sansui SR838 table powered by a Sansui AU517 amp. IMO it sounds better than any of the records I have on CD.

• 2 weeks later...

If your getting a deluxe vinyl, IMO you should purchase Led Zeppelin 1, because of the amazing paris show that comes on the second and third records. If you get any of the others, you only get the alternate versions of songs, which are worth getting, but not on vinyl.

• 3 weeks later...

I had all the vinyl (and cassettes!)back in the day until I sold nearly all my collection, over 4,000 lps,to finance a deposit on a house in the early 90s.My faves were PG both for the music and cover.I had japanese pressings of the first four lps with the third lp being a fave with its thick cover and spinning wheel and a  huge poster of the back  cover(and a band history in japanese)

Archived