ZEPPELIN To Headline UK's GLASTONBURY FESTIVAL?

LED ZEPPELIN To Headline UK's GLASTONBURY FESTIVAL?

MonstersAndCritics.com reports that LED ZEPPELIN will headline next year's Glastonbury Festival.

The legendary rock group — who played a sensational comeback concert at London's O2 arena earlier this month — will take to the stage for the world-famous musical extravaganza, in Somerset, England, before embarking on an 18-month world tour.

A source close to the band — Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and drummer Jason Bonham, who has replaced his late father John Bonham — said: "It will kick off at next year's Glastonbury after Robert has finished touring with American country star Alison Krauss."

Read more at MonstersAndCritics.com.

I'm not sure what LZ or Glastonbury have to gain from this if it's true.

Glastonbury sells out in the blink of an eye anyway so why add LZ to the mix and have the festival under seige? It's a very big perimeter fence to police after all.

Led Zep could sell out any arena/stadium/festival in their own name so why play in a place where there'd be a lot of people there for the Glastonbury vibe rather than dyed in the wool LZ fans?

Wouldn't an emotional return to Knebworth be better all round?

Well I kinda knew about this so its nice to see it out in the open.

Yep Led Zep have been in talks to play Glasto.

I see the point that the festival sells out anyway and Led Zep would sell out anyway but maybe that's NOT the point.

Maybe they realised when they were so oversubscribed for the O2 that it would need to be big venues if and WHEN they went on tour.

So its probably more about getting in front of the maximum amount of people in the minimum number of gigs (because the pressure is on to please the fans) and where better than Glastonbury.

Knebworth is not as big is it?

The last time Zep played there it brought the festival to an end.

Well I kinda knew about this so its nice to see it out in the open.

Yep Led Zep have been in talks to play Glasto.

I see the point that the festival sells out anyway and Led Zep would sell out anyway but maybe that's NOT the point.

Maybe they realised when they were so oversubscribed for the O2 that it would need to be big venues if and WHEN they went on tour.

So its probably more about getting in front of the maximum amount of people in the minimum number of gigs (because the pressure is on to please the fans) and where better than Glastonbury.

Knebworth is not as big is it?

The last time Zep played there it brought the festival to an end.

Knebworth isn't as big, but if they played there over three nights that'd be close to 400,000 people they'd be playing to.

Glastonbury would be under 200,000.

I agree with some of the above comments. Zeppelin could play a gig under their own name, why on earth would they have to headline an already overcrowded festival?? It would be far far far better if they played like they did in the old days...one venue, one band!!! ZEPPELIN!!!

Although I don't think Percy wants to tour as LZ and I think it will be a disaster to Zep fans if LZ do play Glasto, I can believe why this rumour is gathering creedence.

Percy personally "blessed" the new pyramid stage at Glasto, at the special request of festival organiser Michael Eavis. I wouldn't be surprised if (initiated by Percy) Zep play as a tribute to Michael Eavis. I understand this year could be his last Glasto before he hands responsibility to his daughter, so what better finale?

I still think this will be a one off, and not a tour. And as Glasto sells out in hours, usually before any band had been announced, I think this might be a bit of a disaster for the majority of Zep fans.

But on the plus side, Glasto is usually broadcast live by the BBC so we might get some footage!

I honestly hope this isn't true. The ticketing issue has been commented on here. Suffice to say that the critical views expressed about this issue seem valid to me. The debate about the relative capacities of Glastonbury and Knebworth is a bit misleading. Glastonbury is a festival first and foremost. People buy tickets to go there, regardless,to a large extent, of who exactly is playing. Indeed, lots of people happily take very little interest in most of the bands. There's always a lot of other things to do,so the bands aren't automatically the only attraction at any given time. Those who've not been-don't be deceived by the tv hype and coverage. In my experience, there's never a time when every single person is watching one band and one band only.Zep would not be the sole focus of attention when and if they played there. The way the site is actually laid out and divided up prevents more than a certain percentage of the total crowd from actually getting near the main stage at any one time.Unless Michael Eavis changes what is a winning formula specifically for one band[Zep] this could well be pretty unsatisfactory for a lot of Zep fans.Tickets are scace anyway without the added huge demand that we saw at the O2 show. Then, on site, actually getting nearish to the stage and the band could be tricky. Sorry if this seems negative but I'd rather be honest from personal experience than just pretend it's a great idea. Open-air -fine, but on their own or with a small support bill, one stage only and one focal point only.

Not that I know but I think IF and a big IF they do Glasto I think Plant would like the idea of this because there are all sorts of musical styles going on there over the weekend !! Not just a Zep gig ??

Not that I know but I think IF and a big IF they do Glasto I think Plant would like the idea of this because there are all sorts of musical styles going on there over the weekend !! Not just a Zep gig ??

That's spot on,Leddy. Indeed, that's one of the big attractions of Glastonbury as an event. There's lots to do and see and eat and drink. It does dilute the sense of significance of any given band somewhat,though.Easy to get held up,distracted or suddenly realise that not everyone is there for the same reasons you are. You could say the diversity is a big plus and a potential minus point . 170,000 tickets would go in a few minutes anyway,regardless of who plays. You're right , it is a big IF...bring on the next rumour!! Glad you enjoyed the show, by the way...

Archived