1980 Eutopean Tour

Jimmywalnutz

For about a week or maybe more I have immersed myself in the shows from this tour.I will probably go another week.

I was going to make a four CD compilation of the heaviest soundingsongs and try and have this collection remastered , Mr. Winston has already remastered most of the shows to the point I would consider them "definitive" . So why bother? 

I was wondering how the membership here feels about a few things and maybe shed some light on a couple of  things.

Barring  Zurich and  Frankfurt  what is your favorite show  from the tour?

What songs  not on the set list would you like to have heard  played on this tour?

Heartbreaker from Rotterdam has been noted as the heaviest performance , what are some others ?

Mannheim 7/2 or 7/3 or why bother with  either night?

Is there a story behind the absence of a SBD for Vienna and Munich?

At last,  does any one favor this tour  over anyt  jaunt from 69 to   77 ?

Any other insight , thoughts to this tour?

Im loving it.

Thank you..

Thanks!  I the 1st thread entirely, its older but hey The Song Remains The Same. Good Stuff. I really ought to play with the search feature more. I also read the review in the 7/7/80 thread and a few posts, I bookmarked it for later. I can read all day but I  just realized it's Friday ! The cleaning lady is coming and well never mind.

But just to clarify my life is not so lame that this is a special event. I want her to sit or lay for a pencil study. And somewhere a clock is ticking...

Dont forget copenhagen 79, the difference in the pace, vibe and variety of songs compared to 80 is incredible in retrospect. My fav from 80 are zurich and frankfurt overall, so i didnt form ops on rest of the shows from 80 to add.

The 1980 European Tour had two shows that where throwbacks to Zep in their prime. Frankfurt and  Zurich. And easily the most popular. They did play a lot of other shows and it was / is my intent to dig deep on them.

Last week I listened to every 1980 show or parts due to poor sources. SBD and AUD.

I have been listening to Bremen Brussels Rotterdam Mannheim 7/3 all week and there is a lot to be said for them.

This coming week I will be listening to Vienna Munich Hannover and hopefully GF's Berlin Matrix or EV will suffice. There is an existing thread with some real good insight.

I did dust off Copenhagen 7/24 and boy if that was a harbinger of what was to come in 80 this thread would have not been started,  but it's not and The You To Pee On Tour would not be relegated to obscurity or the bastard child.

Copenhagen 7/24/79 IMHO is every bit as good as Zurich and Frankfurt and it's one of the best audience recordings of the band ever made.

Initially my sonic study of 80 was to find the heaviest songs , compile 4 discs and beg to have them remastered but it's become more. Make no mistake I don't aim to put lipstick on a pig but there are some real gems buried in the 1980 Tapes.

In regard to Copenhagen on being light on the bottom end , the EV anniversary matrix was ripped by Last Stand and EQ'd a bit for a heavier bottom. This according to my friend at the record store who, last night, talked me in to seeking the LS version as opposed to EV  version especially if my interest is the 7/24 show (EVs anniversary is expensive and 4 discs , both nights.) I did no due diligence and took him at his word..... he makes money on me and something tells me he has a lead on the LS. Ob La Di....

I have the EV ripped from the net and transferred  to CD and Black Dog from 7/23 found it's way on disc 2.

Yes , I really like the Mannheim 7/3 show and Trampled is certainly one of the best from that Tour.

I have finished my study of the 1980 Tour Of Europe and once I get my ideas and notes organized Im going to post a quasi brain dump. I didn't do a research project but  listened to nothing but 1980 shows for about a month excluding Zurich or Frankfurt. I delved into the other Bremen Cologne Vienna Mannheim etc.

So much great stuff and some mediocre and some awful. I had much more enjoyable listening than not.

The Tour really gets a bad rap, It's not the 73 Club Tour , The 73 or 75 tour or like anything like 70-72 but it's Zeppelin . i still wouldn't rate higher than any other tour but it's loaded with some absolute gems.

Zurich and Frankfurt were not included because for many a Zep Head those two shows are greatly favored, including this one !

The 1980 incarnation of Trampled however is the highlight of most shows and some of the heaviest music they ever played.

6 hours ago, Jimmywalnutz said:

So much great stuff and some mediocre and some awful. I had much more enjoyable listening than not.

Sums up my thoughts on the Tour Over Europe pretty completely.  There is the occasional bomb, but most of the shows are really excellent and show some flashes of brilliance.  What might have been....

The sad irony is that Bonzo was still better than most drummers of the day despite being addled by the drinking and drug addiction.

As far as " What might have been....". It could have been bad.

But saying that Jimmy and Bonzo  got clean. Other factors were at play. Grant was just as sick, I suspect the  creative differences would have surfaced, Jimmy and Bonzo wanted to go heavy and ITTOD demonstrates what JPJ and Robert wanted, if the Light and Shade formula ever needed  to be applied it would have been on the next album. If the planets and stars aligned it could have shattered new ground , but that's a big if.   

And last but certainly not least nobody but Robert could say to a certainty how bad a rift (or at least resentments) still existed , if any.   

• 1 year later...

Archived