The Destroyer Tapes

I know that three Cleveland shows are dubbed Destroyer, 7/20/69 4/27 & 4/28/77. I'm pretty sure 4/27 was the first boot to get this moniker. Then 4/28 . Landover 5/30/77 is also in the Destroyer family.

I've been listening to 4/28 a lot and fully understand that along with 5/30/77 these are special and very powerful shows. The other two are good solids shows 4/27/77 , over rated and 7/20/69 is a good tape but not even close in sound or performance to some of the Fillmore shows. 

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this. There's got to be a story. No ?

Cleveland, and since 4/28 and 5/30 were good recordings with good performances too, 5/30 probably just fit the bill. Either that, or at one time the 5/30 tape (possibly back in the day, but IDK) was passed off as 4/28 or "Cleveland 77". So either fit with the Cleveland gigs or it was thought to be 4/28. Sure somebody knows but the info is probably out there if you look for it. Beats me but 3 out of 4 being Cleveland it makes sense kinda. 

Just now, Jimmywalnutz said:

Just curious. I love Landover 5/30 and recently got in to 4/28. Im not dismissing 4/27 but soooooo many better 77 shows.

Jimmy seemed a bit off during the first destroyer gig.

However, he was on the top of his game at the second gig, which is possibly the best show of the entire tour

Well, unless I am mistaken, 4/27 was probably the first almost complete 77' show widely available. Shame that Page's

hands are fumbling during too much of the show. As well, the early copy of this show I have (vinyl), there is some

"wow and flutter" at points, rather irritating.

I have the original vinyl boots of the '77 Cleveland shows; 4/27 was titled 'Destroyer' and 4/28 was 'The Destroyer'. I don't remember which was released first but they were not issued by the same 'company'. It's too much of a coincidence to think they just happened to give them the same titles; maybe there was something about the setup in that stadium that evoked the term.
The Maryland and the other Cleveland shows were just the bootleggers not wanting to bother thinking up a new title.

I had a crap copy of 4/28 from  YouTube and playing that one back it seems the guy who uploaded it tried to "doctor it up".

Ive since downloaded a real good copy ( The Return Of The Destoyer) in FLAC format.

I can't say it's the best of 77 but definitely in the same league as 6/7, 6/11 and 6/21/23.

I just wish we had a SBD. The irony is that "Maximum Destroyer", 4/27 by EV is one of the best sounding boots I own. From any year.

Day late and dollar short. Sucks because if there was a SBD of 4/28 it would have dropped by now. Thank goodness we have a pretty darn good AUD copy.

With Landover 5/30 is GREAT but IMO 5/26 may be better. 5/28 is the square peg in that run.

Shame that because of the inherent illegalality of boots, there are probably amazing tales to be told. Bribes, backdoor deals. Especially the Jap invasion, and the incredible efforts to polish great performances poorly recorded. Not stuff in

Luis Rey's books, for good reason.

Yeah, I bought Destroyer in 83' at a record convention( boy, those were the days !!!) and back then It was mainly from

the 27th, although according to some sources even then some were from the 28th. As mentioned ad nauseum Jimmy

was quite erratic on the 27th, really sharp on the 28th.

I'm still holding out hope that 4/28/77 exists somewhere in soundboard form. While some amazing mid-'70s soundboards have come out, it seems very suspicious that 3/12/75, 3/21/75, (and 3/24/75. 3/25/75, and 3/27/75, depending on your opinion of those shows), along with, 4/28/77, 4/30/77, 6/10/77, and the entire LA '77 run (except part of the noise solo from 6/23) remain uncirculated. Meanwhile, we do have 3/11/75, the three days before 3/21/75, the day before 4/28/77, the weakest NYC '77 show, etc. in soundboard quality. And even some of the best shows currently available as soundboards - 2/13/75, 5/30/77, and arguably 5/22/77 - are among the most recent releases. Even the very recent 3/3/75 is a better performance than 3/4 and 3/5, which ave been around for years.  (The big exceptions are 2/12 and 2/14, which are epic shows and have been around for awhile.)

So I think it's highly possible that these very prized dates, including 4/28, have soundboards that are being hoarded and/or held for release until after the parties involved make their money on the less-desirable shows that might not sell as well if the holy grail shows had already been released instead.

Finally, I don't have much to add on the "Destroyer" history, but AFAIK the MD 5/30/77 date was called "Destroyer III" when it came out. And it's a smoking performance - IMHO it tops 5/26 (and for that matter 5/25 also tops 5/26 IMO), and can hold its own with all but perhaps the two 2 or 3 '77 shows.

14 hours ago, tmtomh said:

I'm still holding out hope that 4/28/77 exists somewhere in soundboard form. While some amazing mid-'70s soundboards have come out, it seems very suspicious that 3/12/75, 3/21/75, (and 3/24/75. 3/25/75, and 3/27/75, depending on your opinion of those shows), along with, 4/28/77, 4/30/77, 6/10/77, and the entire LA '77 run (except part of the noise solo from 6/23) remain uncirculated. Meanwhile, we do have 3/11/75, the three days before 3/21/75, the day before 4/28/77, the weakest NYC '77 show, etc. in soundboard quality. And even some of the best shows currently available as soundboards - 2/13/75, 5/30/77, and arguably 5/22/77 - are among the most recent releases. Even the very recent 3/3/75 is a better performance than 3/4 and 3/5, which ave been around for years.  (The big exceptions are 2/12 and 2/14, which are epic shows and have been around for awhile.)

So I think it's highly possible that these very prized dates, including 4/28, have soundboards that are being hoarded and/or held for release until after the parties involved make their money on the less-desirable shows that might not sell as well if the holy grail shows had already been released instead.

Finally, I don't have much to add on the "Destroyer" history, but AFAIK the MD 5/30/77 date was called "Destroyer III" when it came out. And it's a smoking performance - IMHO it tops 5/26 (and for that matter 5/25 also tops 5/26 IMO), and can hold its own with all but perhaps the two 2 or 3 '77 shows.

Agreed 100%.  

Interesting replies . Particularly the release or lack of release of certain shows. The LA Run is , at least to me inconsequential, the Millard Tapes are great and so full of atmosphere that soundboards of those shows would be nice but the Winston Re masters are more than fine for me. Lately for me a real good AUD tape is just so much nicer than your average SBD.

But to have 4/28/77 on soundboard would be a dream. I still don't believe the lack of love for 3/5/75. It' s IMHO as good as many of the shows from the March 75 run. Great boot sound and performance although 3/3/75 was a very welcome release.

Landover 77 is tough. I go from 5/26 to 5/30 as being the better of the two. I love how certain shows are favored by the individual. It was a Great run of shows but I've only played 5/28 a few times to know its not in the same league as the others.

What am I missing with 5/22/77 ? I really like the show but can think of ten others I'd prefer including 6/7/77 and the Four Source Mix of 6/10/77. I'm actually waiting on an order of boots and I have that one coming maybe it will be better straight from a disc.

I can go on all day talking boots but alas, no coffee in the cupboard. And nothing for my

I'd have to bet a number of the shows mention above will eventually see the light of day as boots and some won't. The  4/28/77 and 3/12/75 are a top my wish list possibly and the  best shows of the respective tours.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/05/2016 at 10:11 AM, Jimmywalnutz said:

With Landover 5/30 is GREAT but IMO 5/26 may be better. 5/28 is the square peg in that run.

I am listening to 5/28 from EVSD - The Powhatan Confederacy - sounds great (up to Going to California). I think the solo's and general playing is great. So 26 and 30 are much better? square peg as in 28 is a bit ordinary???

It really is a matter of personal taste. Powhatan is not a bad show per say. I do find it interesting how certain shows are perceived by the individual. For me 5/26 & 5/30 are my favorites they pack a punch and it's a powerful vibe. I also love the acoustic section on 5/30 it's very tight 

Recently EV re released 5/25 and 5/30 ( Double Shot)  and the sound is on par with 5/26. The 5/26 Show IMO really needed no improvement. I'm not knocking 5/25 it's an excellent show and sounds a lot better nowadays. The 5/30 show with the improved sound is a beast!!!! or a Destroyer. Lol.

For Me, 5/28 just always seemed the weakest of the four or "The Square Peg".

The Landover run of 77 is certainly a highlight of the tour

Archived