Radio broadcast reels mystery

1 hour ago, Cosmic_Equilibrium said:

Anyone got any clues as to what the story behind this is, it's been floating around on ebay for some time now:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Led-Zeppelin-Live-Two-Radio-Broadcast-Reels-1969-1970-1971-1977-1980-Rare/302554222323?hash=item4671a30ef3:g:qxIAAOSwUM5aJfI4

The seller claims he has not even listened to them. One could wind up paying $275 for Captain & Tennille's Greatest Hits plus three alt versions of Muskrat Love as a bonus.

If they were indeed genuine, I would assume the price would be considerably higher. Several thousand dollars higher. TMK, the only radio broadcasts they did Zep put out officially long ago as the BBC Sessions. I seriously doubt there were any radio broadcasts of concerts post 71'.

This has been going on for years. A handful of people on ebay take common bootlegs and even official albums and put them onto reel to reel tapes, claiming they are from the master reels or other rare "analog" source. They then charge $$$.

It's certainly possible they could be authentic in the sense of being reels that were at a radio station for years. But in that case they'd still be copies of bootlegs - just copies that probably were made sometime in the late '80s or early '90s.

I would guess the reels date from not too long after the first soundboard releases surfaced of all those shows. I say soundboard in particular because it appears to be a compilation of soundboard-only tracks: for example, I believe "Killing Floor" (Lemon Song) from the April 27 1969 Fillmore show is conspicuously absent from that reel, and that track has a cut in the soundboard source, which most (all?) bootleg labels historically have patched with a 2-minute or so audience source. Similarly, while the '77 show is not specified, I would guess it's from the April 27 Cleveland "Destroyer" show, because that was one of the earliest (if not the earliest) circulating soundboard from '77.

But yes, as others have said, even if it's "authentic" in the way the seller has claimed, it's still just a reel to reel dub from bootleg LPs and/or CDs.

Actually an interesting compilation, but one you could easily make yourself from as good or better sounding internet sources.

Archived