Bron-Yr-Aur Live

Gratefulzepp

Hi all. Recently I was listening to some of Zepp's summer 1970 tour. In my 26 years of collecting boots I've shied away from listening to some of these shows in there entirety due to the sound quality. One thing out of a handful of things I like about this tour is newly played songs from Zep III, Plant's vocal's at it's strongest of any tour aside from the first half of '71, and also for the live rarities such as Bron-Yr-Aur. I really wish Page kept this in the acoustic sets longer. Aside from the well known version from the Forum 9-4-70, I really like the one played in Boston on September 9th and a new one that I really like is from Hampton 8-17-70. The recording is horrendous and the tape sounds like it was in bad shape but, putting on my bootleg ears this version of Bron-Yr-Aur really sticks out to me. It's played very differently than all the other times Page played it and it sounds beautiful to me. Too bad there isn't a better recording of this show, the show as a whole sounds like they were on fire but this version of Bron-Yr-Aur is very unique. Anybody else like the live versions of this one? If you haven't checked it out, give the Hampton version a listen.   

This is one of my favorite Zep songs. I Iove the delicate beauty of it, but unfortunately that works against it in live recordings. Aside from the versions you mentioned, I also like the outtake of it that I first heard on the old Toasted Condor disc Hiawatha Express. I still prefer the version that got officially released, but it's cool to hear a different take on it and the sound is at least listenable. 

13 hours ago, Gratefulzepp said:

Aside from the well known version from the Forum 9-4-70, I really like the one played in Boston on September 9th and a new one that I really like is from Hampton 8-17-70....this version of Bron-Yr-Aur is very unique. Anybody else like the live versions of this one? If you haven't checked it out, give the Hampton version a listen.   

I like that one too. It sounds unique, because the real date of the Hampton show was recently changed to 8/10/70: http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/august-10-1970

So, that version is either the live debut or at least the first recorded version!

I just read that about a week ago about the change in date to 8-10. As beautiful as the album version is I wish Page played it like the Hampton version more. Very beautiful piece. Even though it's a cruddy recording I kind've like the way it sounds. I guess I've worn bootleg ears too long :D

22 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

This is one of my favorite Zep songs. I Iove the delicate beauty of it, but unfortunately that works against it in live recordings. Aside from the versions you mentioned, I also like the outtake of it that I first heard on the old Toasted Condor disc Hiawatha Express. I still prefer the version that got officially released, but it's cool to hear a different take on it and the sound is at least listenable. 

I had that cd! I bought it at Revolver Records in Greenwich Village back in 1994. No longer have it sadly. I sold off a bulk of those silvers when I was 18. I still have 2 left that I hung on to. I like the outtake version too. From the Bron-Yr-Aur cottage demo's. I have those on my hard drive. Great stuff.

Great job, Eric! 

I was checking out the various versions of this tune recently, there's not too many, what, like five or so? They're all a little different. The cool thing about the LA Forum version is Jimmy nails the harmonics

Archived