Best '75 Soundboards?

RoyHarper

I've just fallen down the rabbit hole of Zeppelin bootlegs and it's like discovering the band all over again!

While I'm enjoying every tour, I'm finding myself returning more and more to the pair of '75 shows currently in my possession - Four Blocks in the Snow (Feb 12) and St Louis Blues (Feb 16).

I love the set-list on this tour, particularly the extended takes on No Quarter, and the audio quality of these soundboards is fantastic. 

So anyway, I was hoping for some advice on which '75 show to go for next. Any ideas please?

People are gonna tell you to search for the hundreds of "Best Boot" threads already in here, but I'll quickly suggest 2/13, 2/14, 2/28, 3/3, 3/12, 3/19. 3/20, 3/21, 3/25. Those are best combo of sound and performance. I'm sure you've already seen most of Earl's Court from the DVD.

6 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

People are gonna tell you to search for the hundreds of "Best Boot" threads already in here, but I'll quickly suggest 2/13, 2/14, 2/28, 3/3, 3/12, 3/19. 3/20, 3/21, 3/25. Those are best combo of sound and performance. I'm sure you've already seen most of Earl's Court from the DVD.

Thanks very much. I appreciate you not telling me to search the existing threads (although it'd have been fair enough if you had). 

Welcome RoyHarper, The Nassau shows (Feb 13 and 14) and -most of all- Seattle (March 21) should be on your shopping list next. Most of the 75 SB have their share of magic moments, so there's much more to explore: Baton Rouge, Vancouver, Ft.Worth, both Dallas shows... dig in deep.

I was just getting ready to post something in the live shows thread about 2/13/75.  All the others listed above are fantastic as well.  So much to enjoy.

What I was going to say about 2/13/75 is how remarkable the bass is, especially during IMTOD and TSRTS.  I was thinking back on some excellent advice I saw once in the live shows thread :  "listen carefully to what Jones is doing".  Always superb advice!!  The bass always sounds so great and has such separation on the 75 boards.  And the drums, my goodness the drums!  You can also hear very clearly what amazing things Jones does with the bass pedals.  

On 2/13/75 listen to Jones during the opening of TSRTS.  I don't recall hearing him play it that way on other shows.

I keep going back to 75 shows even though Plant struggles alot and Page has his ups and downs.  But the set list is so fantastic and the power and clarity of the bass and drums really brings it home. 

One more note - any show after 2/27 has the grand piano in NQ.   The prior versions are great but if you like the sound of the grand piano start with shows 2/27 or later.

Edited by John M

I'd say if you need one more show, go with 3/21 Seattle. A strong and consistent show from beginning to end.

Other essentials are 2/13 Uniondale (superb Dazed and an epic jam with Ronnie Wood on Communication Breakdown), 2/14 Uniondale (first appearance of Since I've Been Loving You for the tour and a unique rendition of Heartbreaker), 2/28 Baton Rouge (fantastic IMTOD and NQ in particular, though Page loses steam in the last third), 3/3 Fort Worth (particularly essential if you're a John Bonham fan, he kills it here), and 3/19 Vancouver.

If you can, try to seek out remasters by people like Liriodendron, Grame, Sue Dounim, and Winston. They really do a great job at breathing life into the soundboards.