MOJO Magazine (Dec. 2007) Interview

Darth Zoso

I have to say, I much preferred the piece in the Classic Rock special edition to the Mojo articles..

That's funny, I thought the complete opposite.

One thing in particular struck me. In the Classic Rock mag, on page 65, is the following quote from Def Leppard guitarist Phil Collen:

I saw Led Zeppelin at Earls Court in 75. In a way they were pretty awful....the overall sound was terrible, and the playing wasn't that great, but I had THE BEST time in the world! It was amazing - it was Led Zeppelin! Abysmal as it was, it was fucking great!

pretty awful? abysmal?

I can certainly understand that the sound would be bad, Earls Court was always pretty crap for sound, it was never meant to be a place where music was performed....but the playing wasn't that great?

I have the bootleg DVD from May 24th 1975, and for me this was one of their peaks as a live band. I've always had the impression that all five nights were pretty good. Anyone on the board who was lucky enough to attend these gigs care to comment on this?

I have the bootleg DVD from May 24th 1975, and for me this was one of their peaks as a live band. I've always had the impression that all five nights were pretty good. Anyone on the board who was lucky enough to attend these gigs care to comment on this?

I have a bootleg CD box set which has No Quarter from that show. I'm not a big fan of the 20-minute live jams to No Quarter, but that song has to be THE live highlight of JPJ's Zeppelin career, and one of Zeppelin's finest moments. I couldn't believe that they left it out of the official DVD. JPJ on piano and the jam is incredible - anyone who has ever heard it would put JPJ in new light and would appreciate how important he was/is.

If ANYONE can get a hold of that show, that song alone is worth the price.

I have a bootleg CD box set which has No Quarter from that show. I'm not a big fan of the 20-minute live jams to No Quarter, but that song has to be THE live highlight of JPJ's Zeppelin career, and one of Zeppelin's finest moments. I couldn't believe that they left it out of the official DVD. JPJ on piano and the jam is incredible - anyone who has ever heard it would put JPJ in new light and would appreciate how important he was/is.

If ANYONE can get a hold of that show, that song alone is worth the price.

Makes one wonder about the politics still surrounding this band !?!

Archived