2019-20 NBA Season

Strider

The NBA blew up over the weekend. July 1 was the official start of the free agent signing period, but teams got an early jump and Sunday was crazy.

So many signings...so many billions of dollars involved. And the New York Knicks left holding the bag, as usual. Their fans are furious...SELL THE TEAM is the new meme in NYC.

Still waiting on Kawhi Leonard.

You are going to need a flow chart to sort out all the player movements. Golden State is no longer the lock in the West. Here is a handy guide.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/7/1/20677370/nba-free-agency-grades-kevin-durant-jimmy-butler

Edited by Strider

12 hours ago, Strider said:

The NBA blew up over the weekend. July 1 was the official start of the free agent signing period, but teams got an early jump and Sunday was crazy.

So many signings...so many billions of dollars involved. And the New York Knicks left holding the bag, as usual. Their fans are furious...SELL THE TEAM is the new meme in NYC.

Still waiting on Kawhi Leonard.

You are going to need a flow chart to sort out all the player movements. Golden State is no longer the lock in the West. Here is a handy guide.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/7/1/20677370/nba-free-agency-grades-kevin-durant-jimmy-butler

They say the Clippers have the best money situation as far as Leonard.  But who knows. Who saw the Nets being put on the map.  If the Lakers get Leonard, that would be pretty interesting having Lebron, Leonard and A Davis.  I still believe the 76ers are players in the East. I do not know exactly what they got for Butler. Miami was pretty tough last year and they just got a little tougher.  But not tough enough most likely to beat the Nets or 76ers.  That bouncing ball that dropped is the only damn reason Toronto got their shot and of course Golden st and their untimely injuries. I still believe Golden St is a major player. They still have Steph Curry and Thompson and Green.  I guess its going to be huge where Leonard goes.  I still think Westbrooke is as good as any player in the game.  Its a damn shame they have done nothing to get him help.  I would want a trade if I were him. Westbrooke has not come up in any of these talks.  That is a surprise. I would take Westbrooke over Leonard in a minute if I had to pick one of them to start a team around.  Leonard has had a supporting cast.  If Durant had stayed in OKC, who knows.  I think by now they would have won one.

On 7/3/2019 at 6:52 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

They say the Clippers have the best money situation as far as Leonard.  But who knows. Who saw the Nets being put on the map.  If the Lakers get Leonard, that would be pretty interesting having Lebron, Leonard and A Davis.  I still believe the 76ers are players in the East. I do not know exactly what they got for Butler. Miami was pretty tough last year and they just got a little tougher.  But not tough enough most likely to beat the Nets or 76ers.  That bouncing ball that dropped is the only damn reason Toronto got their shot and of course Golden st and their untimely injuries. I still believe Golden St is a major player. They still have Steph Curry and Thompson and Green.  I guess its going to be huge where Leonard goes.  I still think Westbrooke is as good as any player in the game.  Its a damn shame they have done nothing to get him help.  I would want a trade if I were him. Westbrooke has not come up in any of these talks.  That is a surprise. I would take Westbrooke over Leonard in a minute if I had to pick one of them to start a team around.  Leonard has had a supporting cast.  If Durant had stayed in OKC, who knows.  I think by now they would have won one.

Rick, OKC had Westbrook, Durant, and Hardin! They still couldn't get it done. Westbrook has had Paul George (Playoff P) for several years now and they have won squadoosh. Westbrook is a talented player but he is not a winner...he's a liability in the playoffs and he wears out his own team's heart and spirit. 

The same can be said of Chris Paul. Good luck Houston.

22 hours ago, Strider said:

Rick, OKC had Westbrook, Durant, and Hardin! They still couldn't get it done. Westbrook has had Paul George (Playoff P) for several years now and they have won squadoosh. Westbrook is a talented player but he is not a winner...he's a liability in the playoffs and he wears out his own team's heart and spirit. 

The same can be said of Chris Paul. Good luck Houston.

Same things they said about the Blue and even Ovetchkin until last year.  Different sport true

On 7/6/2019 at 10:16 AM, chef free said:

So KD and Kyrie to the Nets, AD and LBJ in LA, Warriors without Thompson for the season, things will be different this year!

Dude....you missed the biggest news of all! Kawhi Leonard and Paul George to the L.A. Clippers! 😮

It is the first time the best player on a championship team has left to another team directly after winning the title. At least Toronto has their championship memories but the team that tries to defend its title in 2019-20 won't even closely resemble the team that won it this year.

And don't feel sorry for OKC. They are getting a MASSIVE amount of first round draft picks from the Clippers (and two from Miami). The Clippers won't have a first round draft pick until 2027. This could be similar to when Jimmy Johnson traded Herschell Walker to the Vikings for a bunch of draft picks that turned Dallas into a Super Bowl dynasty.

Boogie Cousins and Danny Green to the Lakers. Dwight Howard to Memphis. There are still many moves to be made in the coming weeks.

And the Knicks still are a laughingstock. It is so funny to see Stephen A. Smith lose his mind over the Knicks.

Edited by Strider

On 7/7/2019 at 5:27 PM, Strider said:

Dude....you missed the biggest news of all! Kawhi Leonard and Paul George to the L.A. Clippers! 😮

It is the first time the best player on a championship team has left to another team directly after winning the title. At least Toronto has their championship memories but the team that tries to defend its title in 2019-20 won't even closely resemble the team that won it this year.

And don't feel sorry for OKC. They are getting a MASSIVE amount of first round draft picks from the Clippers (and two from Miami). The Clippers won't have a first round draft pick until 2027. This could be similar to when Jimmy Johnson traded Herschell Walker to the Vikings for a bunch of draft picks that turned Dallas into a Super Bowl dynasty.

Boogie Cousins and Danny Green to the Lakers. Dwight Howard to Memphis. There are still many moves to be made in the coming weeks.

And the Knicks still are a laughingstock. It is so funny to see Stephen A. Smith lose his mind over the Knicks.

Talk about re shuffleling the bloody deck.  Unreal.  The East?  76ers, Nets a fight to the finish?  The  Heat might be tough?  The West is going to be nuts.  Clippers, Lakers are players for sure, and never count Golden St out.  Still have Curry, Green and Thompson will be back in time for late season and playoffs.  I believe they have enough to get in. The Lakers went from the shit house to the penthouse over night. The one kid they traded away was big though.  The Nets also are on the map.  And then some. So who am I over looking?  Nuggets, Bucks and Blazers should all be tough too.  I would have to go Clippers vs Nets or 76ers right now.  76ers and Clippers are my two favorite teams.  So just like the Blues, I might have something to cheer for?  I know my Buffalo teams are coming and fast. 

• 3 months later...

Well it is opening night.  So Lakers vs Clippers.  How the hell are the Clippers +3?  Is this a Lakers home game?  So how does that work?  Sean, maybe you know?  If you are a Lakers season ticket holder I suppose, like Jack Nicholson, they get the game tonight?  The Clippers play in the same damn building.  The two top teams, Vegas wise, in the NBA.   

New year and the wild west is indeed the WILD WEST.

Look at some of these stars on different teams

Lakers    Lebron and Anthony Davis

Clippers, now have Kauwi Leonard to add to an alreday loaded roster

Houston   Westbrooke joins Harden.  And if it was me, I woudl take Westbrooke and Curry over anyone to start a team with

Golden St   The Slash bros once Thomson returns.  Curry has his hands full along with Green until then

Denver and Utah are pretty good teams but do not have the star power these teams have but do have some balance.

In the East, its the 76ers to lose.  I do not think they will lose.  But the Nets do have K Irving and Kevin Durant.  Problem is KD is out most of the season with this recovery from surgery.  The sooner he returns, and if he is the same KD, then the Nets must be added to the contender list in the East

Once again, Lakers and Clippers tonight, if you like late games on the East coast.

Oh, I forgot to add, the Lakers are the NY Yankees of the NBA

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

19 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Well it is opening night.  So Lakers vs Clippers.  How the hell are the Clippers +3?  Is this a Lakers home game?  So how does that work?  Sean, maybe you know?  If you are a Lakers season ticket holder I suppose, like Jack Nicholson, they get the game tonight?  The Clippers play in the same damn building.  The two top teams, Vegas wise, in the NBA.  

New year and the wild west is indeed the WILD WEST.

Look at some of these stars on different teams

Lakers    Lebron and Anthony Davis

Clippers, now have Kauwi Leonard to add to an alreday loaded roster

Houston   Westbrooke joins Harden.  And if it was me, I woudl take Westbrooke and Curry over anyone to start a team with

Golden St   The Slash bros once Thomson returns.  Curry has his hands full along with Green until then

Denver and Utah are pretty good teams but do not have the star power these teams have but do have some balance.

In the East, its the 76ers to lose.  I do not think they will lose.  But the Nets do have K Irving and Kevin Durant.  Problem is KD is out most of the season with this recovery from surgery.  The sooner he returns, and if he is the same KD, then the Nets must be added to the contender list in the East

Once again, Lakers and Clippers tonight, if you like late games on the East coast.

Oh, I forgot to add, the Lakers are the NY Yankees of the NBA

It's very simple Rick. If the schedule says Lakers at Clippers then it is a Clippers home game. If it says Clippers at Lakers, then the Lakers are the home team. Tonight the Clippers are the home team.

So Clippers season ticket holders get this game tonight and the Clippers get the home side of the court and home jerseys.

The Staples Center is home to four teams and the pecking order goes like this...

1. Lakers

2. Kings

3. Clippers

4. Sparks

Rick, you forgot Portland in your Western Conference rundown. They should be a top 5 team this year.

Edited by Strider

11 hours ago, Strider said:

It's very simple Rick. If the schedule says Lakers at Clippers then it is a Clippers home game. If it says Clippers at Lakers, then the Lakers are the home team. Tonight the Clippers are the home team.

So Clippers season ticket holders get this game tonight and the Clippers get the home side of the court and home jerseys.

The Staples Center is home to four teams and the pecking order goes like this...

1. Lakers

2. Kings

3. Clippers

4. Sparks

Rick, you forgot Portland in your Western Conference rundown. They should be a top 5 team this year.

I am with you totally as far as starting a team with Westbrooke and Curry.  Westbrooke never gets enough credit. He is an animal

2 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I am with you totally as far as starting a team with Westbrooke and Curry.  Westbrooke never gets enough credit. He is an animal

Slow down there, hoss. Rick, are you mixing your meds? You are the one who posted about Curry and Westbrook. I didn't say a word about them.

I love Curry but I think Westbrook is overrated and a team cancer. I would take Kawhi Leonard and the kid from Portland and several other players over Westbrook.

The Lakers will be overrated by Las Vegas this year but the West is so deep that for the first time in years you can't just pencil in Golden State for the Finals. It looks like a wide-open season for a change and that could be fun.

There are only two teams that I will actively hate and hope they fail spectacularly...Houston and Brooklyn.

21 hours ago, Strider said:

Slow down there, hoss. Rick, are you mixing your meds? You are the one who posted about Curry and Westbrook. I didn't say a word about them.

I love Curry but I think Westbrook is overrated and a team cancer. I would take Kawhi Leonard and the kid from Portland and several other players over Westbrook.

The Lakers will be overrated by Las Vegas this year but the West is so deep that for the first time in years you can't just pencil in Golden State for the Finals. It looks like a wide-open season for a change and that could be fun.

There are only two teams that I will actively hate and hope they fail spectacularly...Houston and Brooklyn.

If K D returns as his beastly self, dont count on it.  Houston just like the Lakers has two superstars.  The question is who has the better supporting cast?  I sure have to question what the Lakers have after the big two?  And we know Dwight Howard is not the guy he was 5 years ago.  Westbrooke is a great player.  Period.  I would take him over Leonard in a minute.  Only the injury to Thompson an the lucky bounce at the buzzer vs a better 76ers team got them the only freaking title they will ever win.  A pure miracle.  Now speaking of Klay Thompson, I just heard its very unlikely he will play this year.  That pretty much means Golden St cannot take the West?  Or can they?  Even with Curry, Superman, and Green, likely they do not have enough?  But they could make a trade and get someone that could put them back in the running. I like Golden st far more than the Lakers.  I did like the Clippers but I am not crazy about some of the guys on this team.  But they are certainly going to be in this thing. They go to Golden st tonight for the opener.  They are 2 point favorites.  Houston are 2 point favorites in their home opener vs Milwaukee.  At team that must have a chip on its shoulder.  They had the best record in the East and get no respect at all.  The 76er took down Boston last night.  I am happy about that. I hope the 76ers or the Warriors win.  I do agree with Stephen A on ESPN that the sixers will win the East.  But will be dogs in the finals

There are 82 games in a season. There was a ton of player turnover during the off-season. It will take weeks to see how each team is able to blend in their new players and coaches and develop chemistry. It is still 90° outside. The NFL and World Series are in full swing.

In other words, don't ask me about the NBA until February...January at the earliest.

Edited by Strider

12 hours ago, Strider said:

There are 82 games in a season. There was a ton of player turnover during the off-season. It will take weeks to see how each team is able to blend in their new players and coaches and develop chemistry. It is still 90° outside. The NFL and World Series are in full swing.

In other words, don't ask me about the NBA until February...January at the earliest.

Well the Clippers went into Golden St and won.  I feel bad for Steph Curry.  Love the guy.  He deserves better than to have to go out there every night and win games by himself. Thompson is not likely to return this year they say.  Is his injury the same as KD'?  Torn Achilles?  I am not a Doctor.  I have quite a knowledge but ankles are not in my experience.  I wonder how good of a supporting cast your glory boys have?  Lebron, Anthony Davis and an old Dwight Howard.  

Well in case you did not hear Golden st superstar Steph Curry broke his hand last night vs Phoenix.  A game they were thoroughly beat in.  Shockingly.  I did not think they had fallen this far to lose to Phoenix at home.  Not sure of how long he will be out, but with Thompson out also, its likely going to be a long time.  I feel for Kerry.  He went from having the best team in the NBA to now having a depleted roster and the loss's will just mount.  I would say that is it for GS this year. There is no coming back from this.  Maybe there was no coming back from Thompson's absence anyway with KD gone and Inguadala also.  

Leonard took the night off for rest last night and the Clippers were beaten without him.  Two loss's already including one in Phoenix after beating the Lakers.  

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, chef free said:

Warriors just won their fourth in a row...

They are going to blow their chance for a lottery pick. Haha.

Come on...a lotto pick and Steph Curry and Klay Thompson coming back healthy next year? Warriors would be back in the playoff mix.

Edited by Strider

On 12/28/2019 at 5:46 PM, Strider said:

They are going to blow their chance for a lottery pick. Haha.

Come on...a lotto pick and Steph Curry and Klay Thompson coming back healthy next year? Warriors would be back in the playoff mix.

Amazing what two guys can do in this sport.  Looks like for now you have the two best teams in your back yard

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Is 3rd place good enough to hope the Heat will go far in the NBA playoffs?

I tell you the Heat can absolutely win the Eastern conference. ITs going to come down to them, 76ers and Boston.  I liked Philly but if the season started today, I would pick Miami.  But its a certainty that the Clippers or Lakers would be the favorite in a final and so would Houston.

Lots of strange stuff going on.  And do not forget, if Durant can come back as his former beastly self, Brooklyn then is elevated big time. And also Kyrie has been out. Add those two, yikes.  All of a sudden two bottom teams, the Grizzlies and Knicks have been very competitive.  Golden St is a wreck without Steph Curry and Thompson. I think Curry is likely ready to play but they are not going to burn him out without the help of Thompson.  So they are done for this year.  They are too far out to get in. 

Miami is playing lights out