New York: June 7, 1977 - Remastered Soundboard

SteveZ98

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, ADK-Zeppy said:

This June 7, 1977 remastering really sounds good.  What were you detecting from the sound that needed improvement and did you employ any special “tricks” to make it even better than what it was before?

Thanks. In general, Zep's soundboards lack any of the effects that would have been applied to the instruments before they were sent through the PA, so they end up sounding very flat. And the recordings don't capture any of the low end, so you end up missing a good deal of what Bonzo played and Jonsey's Alembic ends up sounding like a kids toy (it's only when you hear it with the low end added back in that you realize it was really a weapon of war.) Remastering is an attempt to fix those problems. The hard part of it is that I only have the stereo recording to work from, so I can't change the sound of one instrument without impacting the others. Luckily, that changed recently with the advent of software that can break a song into separate tracks for the individual instruments. It's a complete game changer when it comes to remastering these soundboards because now they can also be remixed into stereo recordings (guitar in the right channel, keyboards in the left, etc.) I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but you'll hear the results soon and they're stunning :)

I don't doubt that there are some amazing software products available to anyone who wants to take the time to apply it to any type of pre-recorded music.  The digital recording era was first heard by myself when my local library put Ry Cooder's album from a  decades ago in their music bin.  The album spoke of it being one of the 1st. If not the very first to use digital processing in recording Cooder's playing and singing.  The only thing I remember about my listening experience was the better fidelity due to there being no noise heard anywhere between the actual sound impulses put down on the day’s media; namely tape. I know technology has only gotten better as time went on.

ADK-Zeppy 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...