APOLLO 11 LUNAR MISSION 50th Anniversary

Strider

Just staggering the numbers of people that watched.  I heard the number last night.  On the rabbit ears Zenith TVs many of us.  Walter Cronkite.  I remember is well.  I was 12, almost 13.  8 years later I got to see Led Zeppelin and you would not believe how many around here envy me for that.  Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldren were the new Columbus.  They have this crazy You Tube show that says some believe a metal shell surrounds the Moon, and under is are alien instruments that monitor various activity.  I find it far fetched.  They say that when the Lunar Module landed it created a sound proving the Mono is hollow?    Just wierd

^^^I haven't. 😏

"First, I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the Earth." ~ President John Kennedy May 25, 1961

Apollo 11 had launched men beyond the bounds of Earth's gravity to the moon and the Eagle had landed them successfully on the moon. One task remained...getting the men safely back to Earth. Eight days after Apollo 11 blasted off from Earth, the Columbia space capsule splashed down in the Pacific Ocean and Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins were recovered and flown to the USS Hornet aircraft carrier. Hail, Columbia!

That must have been one of the most difficult parts psychologically of the entire mission...the hour spent in that tiny capsule waiting to be rescued and hoping the inflatables worked and you didn't sink to the bottom of the sea.

The Moon landing always makes me think of my Grandmother.  She was born in 1903, the year man took flight.  She grew up in rural Canada, and used to tell a great story about her and her neighbors seeing a plane fly over their village (North Porcupine...now Timmons) for the first time.  To think that she saw men on the moon when she was 72 is still mind-blowing to me.  A mere 66 years from Kitty Hawk to the moon....whoa !

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:49 AM, Bong-Man said:

The Moon landing always makes me think of my Grandmother.  She was born in 1903, the year man took flight.  She grew up in rural Canada, and used to tell a great story about her and her neighbors seeing a plane fly over their village (North Porcupine...now Timmons) for the first time.  To think that she saw men on the moon when she was 72 is still mind-blowing to me.  A mere 66 years from Kitty Hawk to the moon....whoa !

Then the internet and TSA came along and extinguished mankind's desire to ever leave the house, let alone continue exploration of space. 

Edited by SteveAJones

The sensational moon landing I watched on an old Zenith at the age of 12, and its all downhill since.  Except for the various space rovers such as the Mars Rover and the Jupiter orbiter and such.  These non man carrying robotic instruments have been tremendous.  I am only saying that the disasters of Challenger and Columbia are so tragic.  My eye Doctor, Chawla, his niece was on the Columbia.  Her photo is in the middle of the crew.  It sits on his desk.  So sad like Christie McCauliffe.  But NASA has been jump started.  The HUbble has been a success.  We have learned very much and will learn far more soon