Could or would Jimmy Page ever play with the Black Crows again?

I saw Ross H recently did a photo shoot with Chris and Rich Robinson in Las Vegas here in the US.  They look very well, and Chris actually looks the most healthy he ever has in my opinion.  As I write this, I am listening to Live at the Greek and loving their version of 10 years gone with the multi tracked solo from the studio version being performed album accurate.  Also, the version of Shapes of Things to Come is unreal... I need to look up some of their recent shows on  youtube to see how they sound today.   So, I had seen the "why doesn't jimmy page do something" thread has been active, and I figured I would open this topic up. 

To the question I asked in my title, does anyone think this is possible?  Allegedly, Jimmy's decision to pull out of the 2000 US tour because of his back issues was also influenced by him leaving because he wasn't comfortable with the Zeppelin level of substance abuse occurring by the Crowes, but I would guess that the Robinson's have finally slowed down by this point.  

They have history and I am sure they could write some great tunes plus both would benefit from the others presence on a marquee, and sell more tickets then either on their own.  What do the people think?

I can't see a reunion happening. Jimmy is done performing live. And even if he were to go back on the road, it wouldn't be with the Crowes (or Rich and Chris and whatever sidemen they picked up after they fired the rest of the Crowes.) According to Steve Gorman's book, Jimmy approached Rich about writing songs together and Rich's response was "No thanks. We don't need no more songs." Here's a Rolling Stone article about Steve's book. The discussion about the situation between Rich and Jimmy is number six in the list:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/black-crowes-book-steve-gorman-wild-stories-890664/

Edited by SteveZ98

The Black Crowes (note the 'e' in 'Crowes'...you should fix your topic title) do not even exist anymore. It is just Chris and Rich and a bunch of bootlickers. The very thing that made the Page & Black Crowes shows work...Steve Gorman...is missing. Not to mention no Marc Ford or Audley Freed.

This question is null and void.

Edited by Strider

Howdy All,

Apparently I have offended member (note there is no "s" on members) here with my curiosity and desire to feel connected with those that feel the same love for the mighty Zep and Mr. Page as I do, so the following is written directly to you Merle.

Blue-Eyed Merle,

Thank you for making what I formerly felt was a safe space into one that I will no longer enjoy visiting and sharing my ideas through.  I really didn't mean to set off your delicate sensibilities with a simple typo caused my auto-correct, although I think I'll leave it in its shameful glory since I am a bit of a Puck at heart and I am not impressed by your tone towards me... also, I sincerely doubt anyone was confused by the typo.   

Since I now feel the need to defend indulging my shameful curiosity, I will say I only generated the thread because of the concert listings I saw on US TicketMaster to be seen here https://www.ticketmaster.com/THE-BLACK-CROWES-tickets/artist/734564  and I had looked at Ross H's site for the first time in about two years and saw photos of Chris and Rich looking well, and know that Ross and Jimmy have a connection.  These perceived connections resulted in me posting my question while I listened to Live at the Greek, not realizing it would rile.  

I would have been interested to know about the changes within the band, and am saddened to hear that former members are not involved, if this info had been shared in a more humanizing tone, it would be taken as welcome info, and my feelings about the Crowes would be on par with my feelings for The Who.  

I apologize for not having my finger on the pulse of the comings and goings of the music world; maybe it would be nice to simply inform rather than be a DB neckbeard to people who are simply trying to palaver.  I will be certain to privately message you before I ever even think of posting an innocent question, or even visiting, here again.

-Darth Hoek

5 hours ago, Darth Hoek said:

Thank you for making what I formerly felt was a safe space into one that I will no longer enjoy visiting and sharing my ideas through.  I will be certain to privately message you before I ever even think of posting an innocent question, or even visiting, here again.

-Darth Hoek

FFS Darth Hoek are you really going through life that soft? Look, there are no safe spaces in the arena of ideas nor should there be, and it is just intellectually lazy to misspell the damn band's name wrong in the thread title. All that said, Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes was merely a marriage of convenience. Plant had walked away from the Page/Plant partnership and The Black Crowes had been dropped by their record label. Jimmy entered into it with the best of intentions but seemed to lose sight he was just their side guy for a Summer fling. Rich's blunt dismissal of Page's earnest overture to become something more, accepting at face value that it's true, must have rocked him as a reality check. In closing, in my OPINION, if what your suggesting was going to happen it would have happened in 2000. 2021? Oh, hell no.

Edited by SteveAJones

18 hours ago, Darth Hoek said:

Howdy All,

Apparently I have offended member (note there is no "s" on members) here with my curiosity and desire to feel connected with those that feel the same love for the mighty Zep and Mr. Page as I do, so the following is written directly to you Merle.

Blue-Eyed Merle,

Thank you for making what I formerly felt was a safe space into one that I will no longer enjoy visiting and sharing my ideas through.  I really didn't mean to set off your delicate sensibilities with a simple typo caused my auto-correct, although I think I'll leave it in its shameful glory since I am a bit of a Puck at heart and I am not impressed by your tone towards me... also, I sincerely doubt anyone was confused by the typo.   

Since I now feel the need to defend indulging my shameful curiosity, I will say I only generated the thread because of the concert listings I saw on US TicketMaster to be seen here https://www.ticketmaster.com/THE-BLACK-CROWES-tickets/artist/734564  and I had looked at Ross H's site for the first time in about two years and saw photos of Chris and Rich looking well, and know that Ross and Jimmy have a connection.  These perceived connections resulted in me posting my question while I listened to Live at the Greek, not realizing it would rile.  

I would have been interested to know about the changes within the band, and am saddened to hear that former members are not involved, if this info had been shared in a more humanizing tone, it would be taken as welcome info, and my feelings about the Crowes would be on par with my feelings for The Who.  

I apologize for not having my finger on the pulse of the comings and goings of the music world; maybe it would be nice to simply inform rather than be a DB neckbeard to people who are simply trying to palaver.  I will be certain to privately message you before I ever even think of posting an innocent question, or even visiting, here again.

-Darth Hoek

Agree with everything you wrote. Cheers my friend. 

On 5/28/2021 at 10:17 AM, Darth Hoek said:

Howdy All,

Blue-Eyed Merle,

-Darth Hoek

Safe space? Where do you think we are…Portland?

You asked a question and all I did was impart some information in simple sentences. I did not call you any names or say anything snarky about you. If pointing out that your topic heading was misspelled is all it took to violate your 'safe space', I don't know what to say. For a guy with a tough name like Darth, you seem fairly thin-skinned. 

15 hours ago, Strider said:

Safe space? Where do you think we are…Portland?

You asked a question and all I did was impart some information in simple sentences. I did not call you any names or say anything snarky about you. If pointing out that your topic heading was misspelled is all it took to violate your 'safe space', I don't know what to say. For a guy with a tough name like Darth, you seem fairly thin-skinned. 

This statement is null and void...........

On 5/27/2021 at 8:42 PM, Darth Hoek said:

Allegedly, Jimmy's decision to pull out of the 2000 US tour because of his back issues was also influenced by him leaving because he wasn't comfortable with the Zeppelin level of substance abuse occurring by the Crowes, but I would guess that the Robinson's have finally slowed down by this point.  

They have history and I am sure they could write some great tunes plus both would benefit from the others presence on a marquee, and sell more tickets then either on their own.  What do the people think?

It's a nice question to ask, but honestly, it's probably less likely to occur than a Zep reunion. And I love the Live at the Greek album, even have it on vinyl and the Japanese edition with bonus tracks. Regarding drugs, I've never seen much more than booze, loads of weed and a little coke being associated with them.

Anyone interested in the true story behind the sudden mid-tour end of Jimmy Page and the Black Crowes ought to read BC drummer Steve Gorman's well-written, insightful, and eye-popping memoir, Hard to Handle (pub.2019). To my regret - cos I'm still a fan of their 1990s work - let's just say Chris Robinson does not come across too well in it. Control freak. I don't generally go for memoirs that expose too much mystery and magic, but Gorman's mature reading of the Robinson brothers' codependent and destructive relationship is kinda sad, cos when the Crowes were hot, they were incandescent.

To sum up, yes, Jimmy Page had a painfully bad back and it needed rememy (ha!), but the killer blow was dealt by the Robinson brothers who, as a result of their combatative, egotistical relationship, managed to fatally insult Page. It is astounding how it happened. Utterly immature and short-sighted behaviour, but then the Crowes history is full of that. A shame really, cos I remember seeing the magazine ad for their November 2000 gig in Dublin and was looking forward to it. Och, well.

Edited by FavouriteTipple

2 hours ago, FavouriteTipple said:

I remember seeing the magazine ad for their November 2000 gig in Dublin and was looking forward to it. 

Oh, yes the Point Theatre on 11/27/00.

Instead, on that date, he was a backstage guest at The Who's end-of-tour charity concert to benefit the Teenage Cancer Trust held at the Royal Albert Hall.