Frampton Comes Alive!

Levee

i thought frampton comes alive! was a spin off of kiss' alive!. everyone seen the breakthrough success kiss had and wanted to follow suit.

The titles are totally unrelated, at least to the best of my knowledge. It's not like the idea of a live album was a totally new concept though they did seem to go over better in the 70s than almost any other time period I can think of.

I get your point Rover. The mid 70's marked the beginning of the end for independantly owned radio stations. And your right, these new stations forced fed us as much crap as they could. Late 60's early 70's on any decent FM channel you'd be lucky ( or unlucky ) to hear the same artist or song... once a week. They were alway's playing GOOD stuff from all areas of music. They didn't have CATAGORIES.

There's no way artists like the ones listed would have gained the air time like they did. To be honest... My peers and I cringe at what became of FM radio ...Sounds more like .... LETS KILL THE MUSIC.. AM Top 10

I say AMEN ! To what you said ally.

At the time DYFLWD was all the rage on commercial pop-rock FM radio stations....

The cool, independent, 24 Hour Progressive ROCK station, KLBJ-FM, 93.7, in Austin, did NOT play DYFLWD. As a point of format integrity, the station also did NOT play "Walk This Way", or "I Shot The Sheriff". Just because a song was on the jucke box at the local watering hole for the frat boys, did not mean that KLBJ-FM saw any automatic need to air it on their cool station.

That same cool station introduced me to Al Stewart, and his 1973 album "Past, Present, and Future", and songs like "Roads To Moscow".

But, when Al Stewart went commercial, with "Year Of The Cat", I am proud to say that KLBJ-FM did NOT play it. I certianly did not buy the album. I have stated many times, when I want great "pop" music, I simply turn to The Beatles. End of Story.

That, kind of cool, has been squeezed out, in favor of catering to the shallow and "AM" needs of the Masses. "Beer Hall" music and it's listeners is just the kind of person corporate radio advertisers seek to easliy influence. So, sadly, for the sake of conglomerate commerce.... uplifting and enriching ROCK music has taken a back seat, and is in fact, in the trunk, so that the "AM" style of commercial crap can reign down on the "masses", who effectively have their radios on as background music for their otherwise shallow musicial tastes.

For me it didn't even have anything to do with 'hype'. I just couldn't and still can't stand the music.

I had the studio album 'Frampton's Camel' and it was alright, but STILL a major letdown after Humble Pie.

By '76 I had gotten heavily into progrock and jazz-rock ala Weather Report, Return to Forever, Gentle Giant etc....so something like Frampton Comes Alive was pure schlock !! The music went NOWHERE for me...

I wasn't even listening the FM rock of the day...Journey, Ted Nugent, Aerosmith etc. I didn't find enough substance in it....musically. And that's not to say Peter Frampton isn't an excellent guitarish, especially when he wants to be ala his version of Black Hole Sun....but in the mid 70s I couldn't care less....

I was so glad I persued the alternative, it opened a whole new world to me....music you had to seek out or hear on obscure college radio...

My musical tastes went in the same direction Joelmon. Old FM radio was a vehicle to expand your horizons if you WANTED to. Unfortunatly it became the vehicle to control peoples horizons. I'm not knocking the artists themselves and I'm not saying that they wouldn't have been popular. They just would have had to do it the old fashioned way.....EARN IT

For me...it was hearing my friends band in high school. They were playing Zappa, Mahavischnu Orchestra, Gentle Giant, King Crimson. I'd been into the standard fare of FM in the early 70s and I thought it was great ! It just seemed about '75 or '76 FM stations and artists were choosing boring material to me, IMHO. And granted, that was after I'd had my eyes opened to this progressive music...and I mean stuff that just didn't head bang you...but that was adventurous and so much more fulfilling. I'd become spoiled. So many of my contemporaries just couldn't get into this 'new' music because it was just plaing too difficult for them. They couldn't find the groove.

It was like hot dogs to prime beef for me.....and that's not to say I don't like hot dogs....but you probably understand.

I do. I like the idea of being introduced to music. It's the reason why I have stayed a Zeppelin fan for all these years. No other rock band has even come close to covering the areas they have. They just threw it out there... limited radio airplay etc... and we bought it if we liked it. I venture to say that with present day formats there are too many artists who aren't marketable enough to get any airplay. Thank God for the Internet and forums like this...... The new Texas Radio

I was very fortunate to grow up listening to a local radio station (WQDR out of Raleigh, NC) that was the true definition of "album rock". Yes, they played the now very well known (and well worn) cuts but they also weren't afraid to play entire albums, albums sides, the truly deep cuts by both major and obscure artists as well as local artists. Even though FM pioneer Lee Abrams was behind that station as a flagship to the "Superstars" format that approach simply wouldn't fly in this day and age. In addition to FM radio I was also exposed to lots of music via family and friends, music that never would have seen the time of day on commercial radio back then, artists like: Commander Cody, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Goose Creek Symphony, Steve Goodman, John Prine, Jerry Jeff Walker, Little Feat, etc. My musical tastes were formed just as much (if not more so) by the stuff my family and friends were into than what I heard on the radio. In fact, to this day when asked to name favorite albums and songs I'm much more likely to name something by those artists than the tired and true stuff we all grew up listening to on the radio. Not that there's anything the matter with that music but how many lists have you read that always include Led Zeppelin IV? I love that album as much as the next music fan but I'd rather list something more obscure, maybe something not everyone has heard. Every once in a great while someone else will list something similar, that's when great musical friendships are formed. Not that they can't be formed over something like Zep or Sabbath but it's the truly unique stuff that really piques my interest, not the tried and true albums that are well known by the mainstream.

I was very fortunate to grow up listening to a local radio station (WQDR out of Raleigh, NC) that was the true definition of "album rock". Yes, they played the now very well known (and well worn) cuts but they also weren't afraid to play entire albums, albums sides, the truly deep cuts by both major and obscure artists as well as local artists. Even though FM pioneer Lee Abrams was behind that station as a flagship to the "Superstars" format that approach simply wouldn't fly in this day and age. In addition to FM radio I was also exposed to lots of music via family and friends, music that never would have seen the time of day on commercial radio back then, artists like: Commander Cody, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Goose Creek Symphony, Steve Goodman, John Prine, Jerry Jeff Walker, Little Feat, etc. My musical tastes were formed just as much (if not more so) by the stuff my family and friends were into than what I heard on the radio. In fact, to this day when asked to name favorite albums and songs I'm much more likely to name something by those artists than the tired and true stuff we all grew up listening to on the radio. Not that there's anything the matter with that music but how many lists have you read that always include Led Zeppelin IV? I love that album as much as the next music fan but I'd rather list something more obscure, maybe something not everyone has heard. Every once in a great while someone else will list something similar, that's when great musical friendships are formed. Not that they can't be formed over something like Zep or Sabbath but it's the truly unique stuff that really piques my interest, not the tried and true albums that are well known by the mainstream.

Well said. I too had family and friends who influenced me musically. My only point was that radio can be ,or should be, an option for people to decide for themselves what they like or dislike. The world is your oyster.... ..so to speak :)

;)

You a recent KC fan ?

That time period for me, the intro to progressive and beyond, gave me education in composing and the difficulty of mathrock. It was definately an intellectual awakening besides what the music did for my spirit.

So the intellectual aspect of it threw alot of people off, seeing it as elitist music. To listen to it truly improved my mind, along with a new groove for my ears and body.

I figure your refering to King Crimson. If so, recent would be wrong, but fan would be correct :)

What I highlighted in red, extending the oyster reference was a tune by them in 2000, so that's why I asked after amending your post. :)

After all this being said....I totally love Humble Pie at the Fillmore East, Frampton being on lead guitar....

Yip, One of my all-time favorites. Frampton is a great player. I expected more from him. I suppose that's why I'm a little critical. But that's my opinion. The issue wasn't ..... I don't think people should like FCA...people can like what they want. The issue was..... DON"T SATURATE US WITH IT. Or anything else for that matter :)

"Appears in Wayne's World when Cassandra shows Wayne some old records that she has bought. When she asks Wayne if he's seen it before, he claims to have been issued it, as he lived in the suburbs, and that it came in the mail with samples of Tide".

I started this thread as pure satire, to make a point about the hype that went along with this album.

I do that sometimes, I think this place should be fun and informative.

Having said that if I had known it was going to bring out some serious discussions on the state of the music from that time I would have done this a long time ago. It's been wonderful to read the give and take from you about your feelings of how your musical tastes were formed.

JimmyPage77, you really need to get a sense of humor, last time I checked they are not burning buildings because of this thread. I was not try to threaten or steal your youth. Just borrow it for a bit.

"Appears in Wayne's World when Cassandra shows Wayne some old records that she has bought. When she asks Wayne if he's seen it before, he claims to have been issued it, as he lived in the suburbs, and that it came in the mail with samples of Tide".

I started this thread as pure satire, to make a point about the hype that went along with this album.

Having said that if I had known it was going to bring out some serious discussions on the state of the music from that time I would have done this a long time ago. It's been wonderful to read the give and take from you about your feelings of how your musical tastes were formed.

JimmyPage77, you really need to get a sense of humor, last time I checked they are not burning buildings because of this thread. I was not try to threaten or steal your youth. Just borrow it for a bit.

Your right Levee. Keep posting :)

Well said. I too had family and friends who influenced me musically. My only point was that radio can be ,or should be, an option for people to decide for themselves what they like or dislike. The world is your oyster.... ..so to speak :)

Oh, I love radio, it just doesn't have much to offer me in this day and age, at least the more commercial Clear Channel-controlled type stations. Like so many here I grew up listening to the local rock station into the wee wee hours of the morning soaking up all the music and every bit of info I could. These days I get that fix via XM and tuning in a variety of stations from around the globe via the innernut.

Oh, I love radio, it just doesn't have much to offer me in this day and age, at least the more commercial Clear Channel-controlled type stations. Like so many here I grew up listening to the local rock station into the wee wee hours of the morning soaking up all the music and every bit of info I could. These days I get that fix via XM and tuning in a variety of stations from around the globe via the innernut.

No it doesn't. But as you say, there are options out there now. Hopefully people will check these out and enjoy. I have to admit that I too have to look at these options :)

No it doesn't. But as you say, there are options out there now. Hopefully people will check these out and enjoy. I have to admit that I too have to look at these options :)

I tired of standard local FM radio fare (aside from NPR) as far back as the mid-90s but it finally took me until just a few years ago to do something about it. It was either going to be an iPod or satellite radio and I ended up opting for the latter. Subscribing to XM is one of the best decisions I've ever made. Yep, sometimes I flip through the dial endlessly but most of the time the programming is very much to my tastes, especially the reggae channel, Deep Tracks, the bluegrass channel, X-Country and XNPR.

I tired of standard local FM radio fare (aside from NPR) as far back as the mid-90s but it finally took me until just a few years ago to do something about it. It was either going to be an iPod or satellite radio and I ended up opting for the latter. Subscribing to XM is one of the best decisions I've ever made. Yep, sometimes I flip through the dial endlessly but most of the time the programming is very much to my tastes, especially the reggae channel, Deep Tracks, the bluegrass channel, X-Country and XNPR.

Oh man. I love XM. Regular radio (aside from our local npr/community radio) was making me crazy. XM saved my sanity. B)

And, "Do You Feel Like We Do?" never gets old for me. :D

There's still some good college radio too. WRVU in Nashville and the NYU station in NYC are great ! I used to listen to KNTU in Dallas, that was University of North Texas's station.

If they named their station correctly, the call letters would be KUNT though.....B)

:lol:

Now that, is a fucking Bumper Sticker worth it's weight in Gold ! ! :D

BTY, Joelmon, 97.1 The Eagle is Rocking again....

Their Website is up and running Now

Edited by The Rover

I do not need the input of the East Coast Media Hype or the Big Music Industry. They can can go FUCK THEMSELVES ! !

One thing I ALWAYS hated about the FM stations in San Francisco back then was how they would always cut off a drum solo no matter who it was, and they even did it to Ringo. I guess they figured all drummers were on speed which was the no-no drug for those phony elitists.

Suck my huevos! :rant:

Oh, that was humor! :blink:

Yeah, I got that, my squirrely friend. I just get the sense that many people look at the "glitz" of the Comes Alive album without considering the great talent of Peter Frampton. Besides, he is a truly nice gentleman, not deserving of such disrespect.

On the other hand:

You act like your the first person to ever make this silly attempt at satire. It's actually an old stale joke. It was 1976 for God's sake!! Are you just catching on now?

If you still find it the funniest thing you can copy and post on a forum it might be your sense of humor that needs a tune up. Maybe you could move up into the new millenium? Probably not. How about a nice stab at Britney Spears? She's an easy target.

Post something funny and I'm sure I'll chuckle right along with you. :D

Take it easy old fella, just giving you some of your own.

Peace, Love and all that!! :lol: