ANTON CORBIJN's Squaring The Circle (The Story Of Hipgnosis) Documentary To Open In June; Features Members Of PINK FLOYD, LED ZEPPELIN And More

sam_webmaster

• Administrators

Squaring The Circle (The Story Of Hipgnosis) - An Anton Corbijn Film will open on Wednesday, June 7 in New York at Film Forum, and Friday, June 16 in Los Angeles at the Laemmle Royal. A nationwide expansion will follow starting June 20.

Director Anton Corbijn and subject/Hipgnosis co-founder Aubrey "Po" Powell will be in-person at Film Forum for Q&As June 7-9.

The film features Paul McCartney, Roger Waters, David Gilmour, Nick Mason, Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, Peter Gabriel, Graham Gouldman, Peter Saville, and Noel Gallagher.

Synopsis: Celebrated photographer, creative director and filmmaker Anton Corbijn’s first feature documentary Squaring The Circle (The Story Of Hipgnosis) tells the story of Storm Thorgerson and Aubrey “Po” Powell, the creative geniuses behind the iconic album art design studio, Hipgnosis, responsible for some of the most recognizable album covers of all time. They formed Hipgnosis in Cambridge during the ferment of the sixties and became rock royalty during the boom time of the seventies. They conjured into existence sights that no one had previously thought possible, produced visuals which popularized music that had previously been considered fringe, and were at the white-hot center of the maddest, funniest and most creative era in the history of popular music.

During this period, record companies didn’t dictate to acts like Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and Paul McCartney what their LP covers should look like - Storm and Po did. They made money; they lost money. They did great things; they did silly things. They fell out bitterly; they made up. They never played a note, but they changed music. The film features brand new interviews with Roger Waters, David Gilmour & Nick Mason of Pink Floyd, Jimmy Page & Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin, Paul McCartney, Peter Gabriel, Graham Gouldman of 10cc, Noel Gallagher, and many more.

hp.jpeg

• 1 month later...

^I remember the good old days of taking a tab of acid and putting on the album and looking at the album covers. As much as I love Hipgnosis album cover artwork I'm probably just going to wait for it to come out on DVD. Enjoy and let us know what you thought of it!

Edited by luvlz2

On 6/20/2023 at 6:38 PM, luvlz2 said:

Enjoy and let us know what you thought of it!

Was really good! A good portion of the film talks about Syd and the relationship between Storm and Po and Pink Floyd. Zeppelin gets represented well and there's interviews with Page and Plant and Peter Grant is thrown in there as well. Def worth seeing in the theater, the soundtrack while only playing parts of songs was really really good. 

6 hours ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

Was really good! A good portion of the film talks about Syd and the relationship between Storm and Po and Pink Floyd. Zeppelin gets represented well and there's interviews with Page and Plant and Peter Grant is thrown in there as well. Def worth seeing in the theater, the soundtrack while only playing parts of songs was really really good. 

Can't wait to see this

The American Cinematheque in Los Angeles is showing the Hipgnosis documentary Tuesday July 11 at 7pm at the Los Feliz Theatre.

https://www.americancinematheque.com/now-showing/squaring-the-circle-the-story-of-hipgnosis-7-11-23/

To be followed by a screening of "The Song Remains the Same" at 9:30pm.

https://www.americancinematheque.com/now-showing/the-song-remains-the-same-7-11-23/

Unfortunately I am already committed to another event that night and there is no way I can back out now.

On 7/2/2023 at 5:43 PM, Strider said:

The American Cinematheque in Los Angeles is showing the Hipgnosis documentary Tuesday July 11 at 7pm at the Los Feliz Theatre.

https://www.americancinematheque.com/now-showing/squaring-the-circle-the-story-of-hipgnosis-7-11-23/

To be followed by a screening of "The Song Remains the Same" at 9:30pm.

https://www.americancinematheque.com/now-showing/the-song-remains-the-same-7-11-23/

Unfortunately I am already committed to another event that night and there is no way I can back out now.

Unfortunately for you Strider. I know you'd like to put Zeppelin as your number one priority, but sometimes it just doesn't work out! Next time!

8 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Unfortunately for you Strider. I know you'd like to put Zeppelin as your number one priority, but sometimes it just doesn't work out! Next time!

Eh, what can you do when it's a woman? Lisa asked me out to the LA Philharmonic weeks ago and already splurged for the tickets.

Besides, I have seen TSRTS well over 100 times and it'll play in one of the local theatres again soon. And I'm sure I'll have another chance to catch the Hipgnosis doc.

On 7/4/2023 at 2:36 AM, Strider said:

Eh, what can you do when it's a woman? Lisa asked me out to the LA Philharmonic weeks ago and already splurged for the tickets.

Besides, I have seen TSRTS well over 100 times and it'll play in one of the local theatres again soon. And I'm sure I'll have another chance to catch the Hipgnosis doc.

You have a very good reason for sure!